HDTV Picture Setting forum

General discussion

Picture issues samsung led series 7 - it's driving me crazy!

by haos3 / April 1, 2010 4:20 AM PDT

Ok, so I got a new tv - samsung led series 7. Picture is really great when watching news, certain series/shows ... BUT, here's the catch - EVERYTHING looks like news / series / documentaries. And I mean everything! This is really becoming a problem, because movies do not look like movies - that is, they lack that 'movie quality' in the picture. The picture is way too sharp, so that all movies look like they were meant to be documentaries - and this is movies on tv, dvd, computer ... What should I do?

I have tried everything I could think of to change the settings - movie mode, standard, dynamic, ... I've tried adjusting sharpness, contrast, etc.

Results - nothing! I am still doomed to watch constant 'documentaries' - may not sound too bad, but it's driving me crazy! Try watching 'the hangover' as a documentary, you'll see what I mean!

Please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Picture issues samsung led series 7 - it's driving me crazy!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Picture issues samsung led series 7 - it's driving me crazy!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
120 Hz, maybe
by jsnyder82 / April 4, 2010 9:35 AM PDT

Does it have to do with the picture, or the way the picture moves? For example, does it look like the picture was filmed with a handycam? If so, turn of 120 hz. That's basically all it does. Makes the picture look cheap and ugly. Keep it at 60 hz. If that isn't the problem you're referring to, sorry I can't be of more help!

Collapse -
Same here...
by georgep86 / April 8, 2010 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: 120 Hz, maybe

I have UN46B7100 same thing its bugging me a lot now. I also have lcd and it is perfect compared to this. I don't know what to do i might take it back to the store.... I tried playing with setting but nothing some pictures are washed out, white too much lots of sharpness and saturation its huge...... Also went when i watch movies colours are way off red is not red its orange, or its too bright doesn't have natural look. I heard every led should have calibration done by ISF professional because out of the box, its not good. I stopped by best buy and looked at samsung new 6000 led series same problem colours are way off and the guy said it needs calibration done, lots of people would buy tv then in two three day they will come and complain... but calibration cost 299. Once calibration is done TV is fine, also they do it buy computer or something but lots of people do it and its very recommended for leds.... I might go spend it but its alot.... You buy tv for 2000 and now spend more money to get good picture????????

Collapse -
Same here.
by adam2121 / April 26, 2010 11:32 AM PDT

I loved my TV at first, then I changed the way the HDMI was run through the receiver since my Pioneer receiver doesn't pass thorough HDMI when turned off and I don't always want to listen to the full stereo. Anyways, after that my picture was as you describe. Like everything is shot in a reality TV format, or like you'd see on Discovery. I tried switching back the cables to no avail. Sports and games look good but movies, dramatic shows, and sitcoms (The Office looks like the British version) look weird. I came here to try and find the calibration settings page again to see if it has to do with one of those deep down settings I don't (care to) understand like "Judder" or "Blue only mode".

I'll let you know if I figure something out I guess.

Collapse -
uffff......!
by haos3 / April 26, 2010 6:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Same here.

Sorry I've been slow to reply - but it's somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one with this issue ...

Someone recommended to try turning 'Game Mode' ON - which did actually help somewhat, as the picture lost that annoying 'handycam-ness', but the colours are off then and have to be re-adjusted. You really would think that for the 'latest technological breakthrough' and the money you spend to have it, at least the 'menu' options would be easy to use and clear to understand ... instead? You get problem upon problem ... really frustrating ...

Plus, like you say, I don't really want to know about in-depth technical aspects of the tv (like, what is 60hz or 120hz? - still not really sure I know what it refers to, or even where to find the option that would allow me to access it and change it from one to another) ...

Do let me know if you figure something out ... Thanks!

Collapse -
Hi Haos3
by rajonwork / December 28, 2010 9:16 PM PST
In reply to: uffff......!

Any update on this problem as I do have the same issue?

HDTV picture settings forum: Picture issues samsung led series 7 - it's driving me crazy!

Collapse -
Auto Motion Plus setting
by hambone720 / January 7, 2011 4:31 AM PST

That's a simple fix. Change the Auto Motion Plus setting under Picture Options from Smooth to Off, Standard or Clear.

Collapse -
No help
by rajonwork / January 8, 2011 11:26 PM PST

Thanks I tried it and it worked.

But it does not stay with Standaard and Motion Plus off for more than 1-2 hours.

Collapse -
PIc
by rayh78 / January 9, 2011 11:09 AM PST

Anyone know what is below Standard.
I know what off is. But I mean is Standard medium. Then would clear be lower rate of motion control or higher.
Why not make it simple and have off, low, medium and high.
So if I dont want to turn it completely off what would be the lowest setting for me.
thanks

Collapse -
Auto Motion Plus setting
by kentski66 / July 7, 2011 7:01 AM PDT

I sure hope this works! I'm tired of feeling like i'm watching a soap opera all of the time. And this is the only advice i've found so far that may fix it. Thank You!

Collapse -
issue for LCD SAmsung LN42A6000
by shanadagny / September 2, 2012 3:35 PM PDT

So I have both an LED and LCD. the LED works perfect after the clear setitng was checked. IN the LCd however it doesnt have that CLEAR option. any comment?

Collapse -
Head to samsung.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2012 2:25 AM PDT

And find a number to call in and get support.

Collapse -
Picture issues samsung LED series 7
by mannyoro / January 27, 2011 3:44 AM PST

Too bad you feel that way. I have the same situation but absolutely love it! I would not say as much it's too sharp as there is an enormous amount of definition. I'ts better than 35mm film, but thats what 1080p HD is all about. You might be able to force the HD reception into 1080i or 720 ??

Collapse -
SOAP OPERA!!!!
by lneal1357 / October 9, 2011 10:06 AM PDT

I recently spent a lot of money on an Insignia 55" and Blue Ray equipment. To my horror though, everything looks like a day-time soap opera. It makes me sick, I don't even watch it anymore.... Now that I've found this thread, I try some of the tips and see what happens, but it irks me no end that this a. happened, and b. most people don't care or notice. Good God, I want my movies to look like MOVIES!!!

Collapse -
picture issues
by squeakyclean70 / December 21, 2011 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: SOAP OPERA!!!!

Try switching off motion plus, movies are meant to be viewed at 24mhz. This means you may also need to switch your blu ray settings to display in 24mhz as well just like the ps3 blu ray settings. Motion plus should only be used for sporting events or trying to give life to older quality movies etc. I hardly ever use motion plus, mainly i use it when watching HD sport and sometimes in 3D mode depending on recording quality.

Collapse -
I FOUND THE SOLUTION!
by TechieCoastalGal / November 30, 2012 12:03 PM PST

I was going CRAZY because, like you said, the picture on my new Samsung 65" LED tv looked like a soap opera, lacked cinematic quality and reminded me of a low-budget documentary. I changed the settings to this and it fixed it:

Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Samsung UN46C6500 in a dark room via the HDMI input with a 1080p, film-based source. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

--Picture menu

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 9
Contrast: 93
Brightness: 44
Sharpness: 0
Color: 48
Tint: G50/R50

Eco Solution submenu:
Energy Saving: Off
Eco Sensor: Off
No Signal Power Off: Off

Auto Adjustment and Screen submenus: [Grayed out]

Advanced settings submenu
Black tone: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Shadow Detail: +2
Gamma: +1
Expert Pattern: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Auto
White Balance [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off
LED Motion Plus: Off

White balance submenu
R-Offset: 25
G-Offset: 23
B-Offset: 25
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 19

10p White Balance submenu
Interval 1: Red 0, Green 1, Blue 0
Interval 2: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
Interval 3: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
Interval 4: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
Interval 5: Red 0, Green -1, Blue 0
Interval 6: Red 1, Green 0, Blue 0
Interval 7: Red 0, Green -1, Blue -1
Interval 8: Red 0, Green -2, Blue 0
Interval 9: Red 0, Green -3, Blue -1
Interval 10: Red 2, Green -1, Blue 0

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Size: Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Off [grayed out]
Auto motion plus: Custom
-- Custom settings:
Blur reduction: 10
Judder reduction: 0
Auto Protection Time: 2 hours

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.