Mac OS forum

Picture folder will not open

by Mac-arollo / February 8, 2012 10:44 AM PST

The last time I had my overburdened picture file open I tried to change a view option. Well, now the file just stalls at a finder window with a pinwheel whirling. Is there a way to view or modify the folder contents separate from the finder? I am attempting for a second time to create a transfer to another machine in disk mode. first time failed.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Picture folder will not open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Picture folder will not open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
What is this "Picture File"?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 8, 2012 8:54 PM PST

Where is it?
Disk Mode sounds like something an iPod would do.

Collapse -
Picture folder will not open
by Mac-arollo / February 8, 2012 11:46 PM PST

I was copying the folder onto another mac but I bailed as it was too slow. I then set it up to simply copy onto another disk via an outboard HD enclosure. That went well at least as far as completing the transfer. Same problem in the end, though. The new file on the external disk would not open. The finder window itself will open, but it can not populate with images. The same thing happens with the pinwheel. This folder is about 47 G, and is not broken up into separate folders. It contains 25,000 images. The host machine is a Mac mini 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo running OS X 10.4.1 w/ 2 G of ram. Thank for the input/question.

Collapse -
How about this?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 2:13 AM PST

On the external drive, create a new folder.
Inside that folder, create another. Call it ONE.
Now move 100 files from the Mac to that folder.
Did that work?
if yes, create a second folder called TWO
now move the next 200 pictures and check again.
Keep creating folders and importing increasing numbers of pictures into them.
Check after each run.

remember that it will take a L O N G for the Finder to create thumbnails of 25,000 pictures all at once.

Collapse -
This is why...
by billygard / February 11, 2012 6:54 AM PST
In reply to: How about this?

...I prefer to turn off the "show icon preview" option. Unless there is a specific reason for wanting to see the picture content as icons in the finder view, the icons should view a lot faster if you just show the default file-type icons rather than thumbnails.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.