TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Picture but no sound fromTV with Denon AVR-790

by joephu / October 7, 2009 2:15 PM PDT

I just bought a Denon AVR-790 receiver because it allows all your inputs to be sent via a single HDMI cable to your TV (video and audio).

My prior setup was a HDMI cable from the cable box to TV. So now I ran an HDMI from the cable box to the receiver and then an HDMI cable from the Denon receiver to the Samsung TV. I get picture but no audio from the TV speakers. I consulted the Denon manual and it says to make sure the HDMI Audio Out is set from "AMP" to "TV", which I already did.

Oddly, if I turn on or off the Denon receiver, there's a slight interuption in picture and I get sound briefly (1-1.5 sec) but the picture refreshed quickly again and I just get picture only again.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Picture but no sound fromTV with Denon AVR-790
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Picture but no sound fromTV with Denon AVR-790
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by sosowhat / October 9, 2009 12:23 PM PDT

I would go to a Denon owners thread as they are not the easiest receivers to understand on setup and capabilities.

Collapse -
Did you get a resolution for this?
by saran1097 / September 22, 2010 12:57 PM PDT

I have the same problem with Denon AVR790 that I bought recently through eBay? Anyone find a solution to the problem: when connecting my PS3 through HDMI, video comes fine but there is no Audio from the receiver to my TV.

Please help.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.