PC Applications forum

General discussion

Photoshop 4 Problem Under XP

by flardl / October 19, 2004 1:15 PM PDT

I used to run Photoshop 4.0 under Win 98 SE with no problem. After switching to XP Home I ran across a glitch immediately after re-installing Photoshop 4.0 under XP:

When I launch PS 4.0 I get the error message "Unable to load PSUT9532.DLL. Photoshop will not be able to support 16 bit plugins. Continue launching?" I click "Yes", PS 4.0 loads, and seems to work OK "most" of the time. Every once in a while though I get a message saying "This program has encountered a problem and must shut down" then PS 4 closes. Not good when in the middle of a project. . .! This problem is unpredictable and seems to happen at random, I never know when it will hit.

I'm running XP Home SP1 with all updates, 2.0GHz processor, 512MB RAM, 8KB Primary Memory Cache, 128KB Secondary Memory Cache, XP Compatibility set to "Windows 98." It won't work set to "Windows 95" either.

Is there any way to fix this problem -- or is Photoshop 4.0 just too old for XP?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photoshop 4 Problem Under XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photoshop 4 Problem Under XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Photoshop 4 Problem Under XP
by sad clown / November 1, 2004 8:34 AM PST

oh yeah...there is something that you can add to ps4.0 which i have also.....but i can't remember what it is.
i just switched to xp in june '04 and had the same exact problem you're describing.....now that i've reinstalled the o.s. (trojan prob) my ps keeps crashing on me just like you say.....wow..if i find it i'll come back here and tell you about it.

til then, i'm a,

sad clown

Collapse -
by glb613 / November 1, 2004 6:56 PM PST

I may be too old for XP. I had to replace several programs when I bought a new computer. Have you checked the web site? Sometimes the manufacturer will provide updates that make a program more compatible with XP. That is where I would start.

Collapse -
by Modemmogul / November 1, 2004 11:34 PM PST

The problem with Photoshop 4.o is that it was designed to recognize memory in terms of kilobytes not megabytes. The manufacturer offers no patch or fix. Obviously they want you to purchase the new $600+ version they now offer. However if under the preferences section you back off the cache level to around 40 gigs the program has less problem with allocating memory. With the exception of working with very large files 1,200,000 or larger, it crashes less often. You just have to experiment with it and save often. Also make sure that your cache file is on the same hard drive as the program. It's not perfect but it allows me to still use the program for most photo editing needs. This is the only fix I have found after a fairly exhaustive search for an answere. Hope this helps and let me know if anyone finds a patch.
Modemmogul

Collapse -
by Mako / November 20, 2004 2:55 AM PST

I have the exact same problem and an not interested in backing off the cache or whatever. This stupid thing needs to be fixed!

PLEASE let me know if you guys find a fix!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I thought Adobe will give you an upgrade on older versi
by Kiddpeat / November 20, 2004 6:51 AM PST
Collapse -
by skippyd333 / November 22, 2004 12:53 AM PST

click on my name and email me. I can help. don't forget to give return email. skip

Collapse -
by Modemmogul / December 6, 2004 5:38 AM PST

I found a patch to fix your problem. It is the 4.01 upgrade for Photoshop 4.0. Adobe quit posting it on their support page. It is in the Adobe forums user to user pages. Here is the link. Read the Read Me files that accompany the patch. I ran it and my software is working better than ever.

http://www.btinternet.com/~mike.engles/mike/ps401udt.zip

Modem

Collapse -
4.01 Upgrade to Photoshop 4.0LE
by TV-Techy / November 1, 2012 6:38 AM PDT

Does anyone know where I can get hold of the 4.01 upgrade file(s)

Collapse -
Message from FLARDL
by flardl / January 7, 2005 8:39 AM PST

Wow, sorry everyone -- didn't receive any answers to my original post for so long I finally gave up. Decided to check once more & saw all these replies. THANKS to all you folks who replied, you are all great in offering your help!

"Modemmogul's" reply dated 12/06/04 is the one that works. Since I installed this patch, PS 4.0 (now PS 4.01) works flawlessly on XP -- no more problems at all! Download and install it, highly recommended.

Thanks to Modemmogul and everyone!

Collapse -
Photoshop Patch
by Modemmogul / January 27, 2005 9:06 PM PST
In reply to: Message from FLARDL

Glad to hear it solved your problem. I would have to say that after looking for months for a solution I was elated to find that it completely eliminated the problem for me too. I think the 4.01 update has actually made my program run better. Although the newer versions of photoshop are certainly enhanced my old 4.01 is adequate for my needs. Glad it helped.

Modemmogul

Collapse -
One more thing
by cochranec / April 21, 2006 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Photoshop Patch

Thanks for the advice on 4.0.1!! And thanks be to the folks a GOOGLE in helping me to find your advice.
This problem had been driving me nuts and I was almost ready to fork over the cost of Photoshop CS2.
But after installing the update, I still had the PSUT9532.DLL error on start up. I traced that error to my previous use of the compatibility wizard associating the 4.0 program to Win 98. After undoing the compatibility change, I was able to start up Photoshop 4.0.1 without incident.

Collapse -
Photoshop 4.0 LE Crash with Vista, error message glitch
by MikeFriend / July 13, 2009 8:28 AM PDT

After using Photoshop 4.0 LE in visa, it suddenly stopped working one day. It would either act like it was loading forever, or I would get the error message "Unable to load PSUT9532.DLL. Photoshop will not be able to support 16 bit plugins." The only wasy to stop it was to close the .exe application file in the Start Task Manger. I thought it might a virus, and I could not find an answer on the Internet, only that it was too old of a product and not supported by Vista. Finally, after tinkering, I got it to work by temporarily closing anything associated with Windows Media Center, about 3 application files running in the background, under the Start Task Manger. Mike

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.