Photo Editing & Graphic Design

General discussion

Photoimpact 11 and Windows Vista 64 bit

by dime21 / August 2, 2009 1:25 PM PDT

I just bought Ulead photoimpact 11, which is supposedly compatible with windows vista, but it is not working properly. I downloaded and installed the software patch, as well. When I start the program it takes forever to load, and I get the error message "Failed to update the system registry. Please try using regedit." When it finally does load, not all the options work. Any ideas, and how would I use regedit?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photoimpact 11 and Windows Vista 64 bit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photoimpact 11 and Windows Vista 64 bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you sure about those System Requirements?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 2, 2009 9:48 PM PDT

I checked the Ulead site and saw;

System Requirements:

* Intel

Collapse -
(NT) I see windows vista, would the 64 bit version be different?
by dime21 / August 3, 2009 2:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
I'm afraid so.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 3, 2009 5:54 AM PDT

I have the 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate and at the moment I am limited to the software that will run on it.

Since Ulead specifically mentions Windows XP Professional 64 bit as well as the 32 bit versions of XP, (not specified as 32 bit), and not Vista 64 bit, my guess is they left that out on purpose.

Sorry.

They may have made an error on the web site, so perhaps it is worth contacting them to be sure.

Mark

Collapse -
Fixing Photo Impact 6 through 11 on Vista
by Buckeroni / March 29, 2011 1:18 AM PDT

Hi Dime21, I had the same problem. It was annoying not because I had to click the okay button everytime the program loaded but because it it made me feel like something was wrong. This is how I fixed mine. On your desktop...right click the photo impact icon and choose properties. Then click on the compatibility tab. Check the box at the bottom where it says run this program as an administrator. Then Click apply. It's all fixed. The only thing is that before the program loads there will be an administrator box pop up asking if you allow the program to be ran. There should be a way to shut off that administrator pop up box so that you won't have to do anything but double click the icon. I haven't figured that out yet but will post if I do. Thanks for reading. Hope this helps. Happy

Collapse -
Fixing Photo Impact 6 through 11 on Vista and Windows 7
by GreenBlueSun / September 22, 2011 9:09 AM PDT

Installed PhotoImpact 10 on Windows 7.
Got same "Failed to update the system registry. Please try using regedit." error message
after it was installed when every time I wanted to use PhotoImpact.

Did what Buckeroni wrote; ticked > Run this program as an administrator.
It worked but with the now new annoying Windows 7 User Account Control warning allowing the program to run.?!

To stop this go back and untick > Run this program as administrator.
PhotoImpact should now open with no Windows error or warning messages at all. Grin

So far in PhotoImpact, I notice one feature not working is "Open Recent Files" in the File menu.

Collapse -
Fixing Photo Impact 6 through 11 on Vista and Windows 7

Installed PhotoImpact 10 on Windows 7.
Got same "Failed to update the system registry. Please try using regedit." error message
after it was installed when every time I wanted to use PhotoImpact.

Did what Buckeroni wrote; ticked > Run this program as an administrator.
It worked but with the now new annoying Windows 7 User Account Control warning allowing the program to run.?!

To stop this go back and untick > Run this program as administrator.
PhotoImpact should now open with no Windows error or warning messages at all. grin

So far in PhotoImpact, I notice one feature not working is "Open Recent Files" in the File menu

This is completely redundant

Unticking "Run this program as administrator" brings back the "Failed to
update the system registry please try using regedit" error message

The only reason the administrator window pops up is due to checking "run
as administrator" to get rid of the "Failed to update the system
registry please try using regedit" message. By default Photoimpact
doesn't open the "run as an administrator" window when it starts.

Why would you uncheck "Run as administrator" if you checked it to begin with?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.