Cameras

General discussion

Photo Storage

by bkcoke1 / May 30, 2012 12:00 AM PDT

I have a new Nikon D3100 that I'll be taking with me on a two week trip to Italy. I'd like to avoid brining a laptop to store my photos on. Can anyone suggest a solution? B&H has "Portable Data Storage" devices listed but I'd like to know what you suggest.

Please keep in mind the following:
I'd like to spend less than $200
I don't know that I'll fill two 8 gb SD card everyday, but I calculate that to be about 224 gb for the whole trip ((2x8gb sd cards) x 14 days).
LCD can be B&W, I don't need to review the photos.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photo Storage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photo Storage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Storage
by pgc3 / May 30, 2012 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Photo Storage

Why not use larger capacity chips? Check around at some of the box stores and see if there are any sales going on larger capacity SD / SDHC cards.

Collapse -
RAW or JPEG
by PistonCupChampion / May 30, 2012 12:44 AM PDT

If you shoot only full resolution JPEG's, an 8 GB card will hold approximately 900 images, half that amount if you shoot RAW, or a third if you shoot RAW plus JPEG.

If you shoot enough to fill a card a day, you will need a spare battery; the D3100's battery is only rated for 550 shots. You will get less battery life the more you use live view and shoot video. I would recommend getting a spare battery and a few extra cards.

Collapse -
Re: RAW or JPEG
by bkcoke1 / May 30, 2012 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: RAW or JPEG

Currently I have the camera set to shoot both Raw and Jpeg. It is a brand new camera to us so I'm still figuring out what I'd like to do.

As for the battery, I'm planning on purchasing another along with a zoom lens (70-200). Any thoughts on VR vs non-VR?

Should I be concerned at all about losing data on an SD card? How many and what size cards would you suggest?

Collapse -
Portable storage
by mjd420nova / June 1, 2012 12:33 PM PDT

I download my daily photos to my laptop at the end of each day. This also gives me the ability to burn a CD/DVD to give away and still keep the originals on the laptop. My pictures are taken at the maximum resolution of 3,000 by 4,000 pixels and a 4GB card will hold almost 2,000 shots but by transfering them daily, I won't lose too much should anything happen.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.