Cameras forum

General discussion

Photo processing software

by Baper / December 25, 2006 2:51 AM PST

Can anyone recommend a good photo processing software in the $100 range (or less) to go with my new Christmas camera? A program that will allow me to adjust contrast, sharpness, color, red eye, add special effects, crop, etc. I have an old version of JASC Paint Shop Pro but there are probably better editing programs out there now. I'm running Windows XP and don't do movies. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Baper

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photo processing software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photo processing software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Zero dollar items.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2006 4:33 AM PST

The GIMP (see google.com) A lot of tutorials are available and if you look you'll find The GIMPShop (photoshop work alike.)

Next if you can find it, the PALMONE Desktop software has been noted for it's redeye removal. I'll just note that it's a freebie but decline to find or comment further.

Finally, Picassa is free at http://picasa.google.com

Bob

Collapse -
picasa
by BRosario / December 25, 2006 6:17 AM PST

Another vote for Google's Picasa, which is free and very decent.

Collapse -
Adobe PhotoShop Elements
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 25, 2006 6:23 AM PST

Elements sells for about $80 and is my favorite.

It has the easiest to use red-eye removal I have found.
Fixes red-eye with ease.
Select the red-eye tool.
Draw a square around the eye and the red-eye is gone.

I believe the latest version is PhotoShop Elements 5.

Collapse -
Thanks all!
by Baper / December 25, 2006 7:32 AM PST

I'm gonna' check 'em out.

Baper

Collapse -
The BEST <$100= Photo Elements 5 or Corel Paintshop Photo XI
by benbois / February 3, 2007 5:32 AM PST

Just read your opinion of Photo Elements as your choice (suppose you meant 5?). What I'd like to see is a complilation of 100s of Editors and Moderators opinions as to their THE BEST Editing (primarily) pay to play software.

I've pretty much pared it down to the fore-mentioned 2. Seen the price all over from $39xx- $89xx. For either. Been using Picassa2, Sony, MS, HP and others, all free to use. Need something with meat, with more, many more tools than the freebies.

Using Sony Vaio RB44g, Pentium 4, 640, 3.2mhz, 1gb, Windows Media Center 2005

Need layering ability, et al, with the help aides promised by Corel. Not new to digital photography or printing or SLR film cameras. Doesn't have to be <$100 but rather it was. At present have little need for video help other than using freeze frame or single stills from clip.

The little symbol shows you as a moderator, but doesn't qualify you as expert. Leaning on you and your contacts, editors word of mouth for the final vote-- Elements 5 or Paintshop XI= 1 must be superior.

Please give it some thought and more than a line or two.

Thanks in advance.

bj

Collapse -
My vote....
by whizkid454 / February 3, 2007 6:20 AM PST

Paint Shop Pro XI. It has layering ability which I don't think Photoshop Elements 5 has. XI is very easy to use and has many awesome features. A lot easier to use in my opinion. You can also take still frames from your video clips. There is also a very neat faux Depth of Field option which makes the subject stand out. Everything that Corel says on their website about XI is really true.

Collapse -
Comparison
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 3, 2007 6:29 AM PST

I doubt that you will find many people who have used both PhotoShop Elements 5 and Paintshop Photo XI.

I have not used Paintshop Photo XI.

I have a copy of PhotoShop Elements 2, 3 and 4.

I did not buy version 5, as it did not add anything that I needed.

I also bought a copy of PhotoShop CS2.
But I use PhotoShop Elements for 95% of my needs.

I had previously used Ulead Photoimpact 6.
It was OK, but.....limited.

Sorry, I can not help you with determining the superiority of the two programs you are interested in.

Collapse -
Paintshop Photo XI
by RolliePJ / February 12, 2007 6:25 AM PST

If you want general use, I suggest and use ACD See, if you want more meat I suggest Corel Paintshop Photo XI, which I also use. I found a deal on the Photo XI at Best Buy for $40. If you keep your eyes open you can find it at or around the same price. This normally sells for $100.

Collapse -
Well, the best are...
by Zeppo / February 16, 2007 3:54 AM PST

in my opinion, Adobe Photoshop Elements 5 ($80 upgrade, $100 full) for the average home user and Adobe Photoshop CS2 ($170 upgrade, $650 full) for the professional. Elements 5 has most the features from Photoshop CS2 that the home user would need; thus, the name Elements.

Happy

Collapse -
Faststone Image Viewer
by ladizlaus56 / February 12, 2007 6:06 AM PST

If that is all you want to do - adjust colour, contrast, crop etc Faststone Image Viewer (free download) is great. I use it as my general photo viewer and editor (and use Photoshop CS2 when I rarely need to do anything more. It does great red-eye removal (round/oval selection tool instead of square who has square eyes??!!) and is great for sending photos in emails, lossless jpeg actions. For more complex editing use GIMP or Elements - in conjunction with Faststone. It is free - give it a try and then you can ditch it if doesn't suit.

Collapse -
Photo Elements 5 or Paintshop Photo XI
by benbois / February 12, 2007 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: Faststone Image Viewer

When I first wrote, I wasn't really expecting someone to make up my nud for me-- just hoping for a consensus. I bought Corel Paintshop XI, in fact just signed for the package this am.

I was tired of using the free stuff. I thought I had everything I needed with Picassa-- Pre picassa2 and google days. And the myriad of others I'ved tried, and many of those offer great red-eye edit. No more free for me. Paid $53 for on an E-Bay Store, GRS Systems, qualifying for a $15 PayPal rebate in the bargain. I feel I be happy for a few years at least.

Thanks for the votes.

Collapse -
looking for a simple program allowing to superimose images
by homegalaxy / November 5, 2009 1:22 AM PST

I like to take picture of the sky and starry nigths. This sometimes require to take multiple images and then software to superimose them.
Any suggestions of such programms in reasonable price or free/share?

Collapse -
Superimpose images
by hjfok / November 5, 2009 2:16 AM PST

Photoshop will easily superimpose images with its layer function. You can even resize and adjust transparency, cut out unwanted sections and smooth out edges, etc.

But you probably should use a specialized software for astrophotography to make your life a lot easier. Some examples are Images Plus, MaxDSLR, AstroArt, etc. Many of these have stacking functions (to superimpose your images).

Here is a free software link (I have not tried it though):
http://www.astrosurf.org/buil/us/iris/iris.htm

Collapse -
Digital Editing
by captzap / February 12, 2007 10:15 AM PST

I've tried most of the editors and found Adobe Photoshop Elements to be the best. It's also great for organizing your photos.

Collapse -
Digital Editing
by CactusPrick / February 15, 2007 9:56 PM PST
In reply to: Digital Editing

I've been using Photoshop Elements for a couple years and currently have Elements 4. It's a very good program and there are a great number of books available to assist in learning the program.

Collapse -
Photoshop Elemenets 4 (or 5)
by bestsealer / February 15, 2007 10:23 PM PST

For many years I have been using Adobe Photoshop, but recently change over to Adobe Photoshop Elements 4. I find PSE has photo touchup tools that are just not included in photoshop, and it is much easier to use that PS.

A couple of tools that I love are the redeye reduction, the easy correction of slanted horizons, the ability to easily and automatically lighten or darken only the parts of a photo that need it and leave the other parts untouched, the ability to easily correct a colour cast, and the ability to easily correct skin tone -- just to mention a few.

If you get this tool, I recommend you also buy HENRYS DIGITAL DARKROOM#1 FOR ELEMENTS 4 (http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PageDisplay?dest=frames.jsp&currency=CAD&storeId=10001) and HENRYS DIGITAL DARKROOM#2 FOR ELEMENTS 4 (http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PageDisplay?dest=frames.jsp&currency=CAD&storeId=10001). These are a set of 5 CDs with about 6 hours of video training you can watch on your TV or PC. They go through numerous examples of using most of the various tools. Highly recommended. See http://www.henrys.com/

The only down side, is that PSE (just like PS) can be somewhat resource intensive, so you should have a relatively new high performance system to use it. But definitely with it in my opinion.

Collapse -
2 cents worth
by JackBo / February 15, 2007 10:44 PM PST

The absolute best red eye remover I have found came with my Canon camera, called ZoomBrowser EX. Edit/ red eye/ manual mode puts a small circle over the red eye when you move the cursor over the picture. This allows correction of the redye only, not squares drawn over the eye or, worse yet, correcting the entire picture. Other features are somewhat limited so I installed GIMP last week. Have not used it but it looks like it is very similar to Photoshop. If it works that good I will be satisfied with that freebie.

Collapse -
IrfanView (Shareware) and PSE
by Billgolfer / February 16, 2007 2:01 AM PST

I've been using a "free" - actually shareware - package called IrfanView for several years. It is a great general purpose viewer and editor- so good that I sent the author twice what he was asking. With plug-ins (free) it can read almost any graphic file. For heavier duty stuff, I use Adobe Photoshop Elements. And, contrary to an earlier comment in this thread, it does support layers. In fact that is one of it's strong suits.

Collapse -
Try PolyView
by WazmoNariz / February 16, 2007 4:50 AM PST

PolyView (Polybytes.com) will provide all the capabilities you specify, plus it's an excellent sorter/organizer.

All the basic functions you want are in the free version. The full version is well worth the $30 license fee.

--Wazmo

Collapse -
the best I have found
by polgadot / February 17, 2007 3:49 PM PST

In the years I have in dealing with computers and photo processing I give You my best opinion. I have had many photo processing software items my top two are kai"s photshop was 1! mac before adobe, I had adobe # 6 fantastic! but Kai's photoshop for mac was #1 before adobe and I got a windows version for about 15$ as it is an older program. My dad is a photo pro and uses the mac version of adobe for his work along with other professionals but for the best dollar value find Kai" photoshop I don't know if it will work with xp or not as I lost it in a mve but I loved it and it was so easy to use now I have adobe #3 and arc soft but I hate arc soft and adobe #3 kodak has a good program prints are better than the others but eventually I will buy Kais rather than adobe only because adobe is pricey

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.