Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

photo printer

by motioncreator / March 22, 2011 7:26 PM PDT

I am looking for best photo printer for my portfolio, usually inkjet printer has better photo quality than laser, but I would like to have both suggestion for inkjet and laser printer. thanks for the help in advanced.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: photo printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: photo printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Get a demo of Dye Sub printing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 5:54 PM PDT
In reply to: photo printer
Collapse -
re: photo printer
by pip22 / April 14, 2011 6:13 AM PDT
"If it must be the best, you need to consider dye sub. Bob"

Undoubtedly true but dye-sub printers are prohibitively expensive compared to inkjets if you want one that can print up to 8 x 10 inches. Dye-sub media that size is relatively expensive too.

So it's not as clear cut a choice as you may think unless you are rolling in money.
Collapse -
So far, ink jet and great paper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2011 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: re: photo printer

If you want value and great (might not be "best") prints I see inkjets to win. The one thing I find folk scrimp and lose the quality is the choice of paper.

Lesson? Always try the recommended paper. And once you get a feel on how paper brightness, weight, color, porosity and such impact the output you can shop and try other paper to fine tune the output.

Collapse -
Aside form using the recommended paper,
by Howmu / April 20, 2011 5:44 AM PDT

How about using "compatable" inks rather than the oem inks. Have you found that a problem? I have been using oem but with thirsty printers and sky high ink prices I am thinking of going to generic. Any ones you would reccommend or have had good experience with or should I just avoid them?

Collapse -
Only a problem when the owner thinks it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2011 5:49 AM PDT

I tried such years ago and even with the same paper for the same batch the color shifted enough for me to forget it and move back to the maker's ink.

Yes it was cheaper but that was not the goal. For those that need the cheapest prints, they need to go down that road.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.