Computer Help

Question

Photo duplication.

by santaluciaemilia / June 8, 2011 2:52 AM PDT

Hello,

although I have deleted alot of personal data from my pc, I am still being informed that our pc memory is Critically low'.. I beliene that this may be partly due to the fact that our photos have all been duplicated on Picasa (application used to display 'My Pictures' in Windows), Finepix Viewer and Adobe photoshop album starter edition (When I upload the photos they are stored to both). So the memory used up will be multiplied.

If this is indeed one of the reasons why our memory is so low, how do we make space by deleting the duplicates without deleting the whole lot ? If I wipe them off one or more of these applications, would they be automatically deleted from the others?

I was also wondering whwther they were infact 'duplicates' or whether they're stored onto Adobe when I initially upload them from my camera, then 'borrowed' by the other applications when they are open? I've recently bought an external hard drive for back up, but it's new to me and I've yet to figure it out.

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit confusing. I'll be extremely grateful for any help anybody might be able to give me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Photo duplication.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Photo duplication.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Have a look
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 8, 2011 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Photo duplication.
Collapse -
photo duplication
by santaluciaemilia / June 8, 2011 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Have a look

Thankyou Mark,

That's a good start.

I'll attempt a search for that duplicate photo finder. Hm low disc space different to low memory. Now I'm even more confused, but yes, it probably is. Hadn't thought of that. Can somebody please explain this in plain English as I don't have the full IT Jargon vocabulary! I think I need to be clearing both.

Collapse -
No problem
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 8, 2011 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: photo duplication
Collapse -
photo duplication
by santaluciaemilia / June 9, 2011 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: No problem

OK Mark, thanks. Is 'simple' possible?!

Collapse -
LOL!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 9, 2011 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: photo duplication

I see Kees has replied to your other thread, and I agree everything he says.

Mark

Collapse -
Can't acces Adobe photoshop. I need it to use Awesome duplic
by santaluciaemilia / June 17, 2011 1:13 AM PDT

Hi,

<div>I've deleted alot of data and was hoping to begin using the Awesome duplicate photo finder, but couldn't access Adobe photoshop starter edition, which is where I upload my photos to, because whenever the title page comes up it is now followed by a dialog box stating 'Out of memory'. What can I do?
</div>

Collapse -
Is this a different problem?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 17, 2011 6:56 AM PDT

Hi again santaluciaemilia

Is this a different problem to the one we were discussing in this thread? If so, did you solve the low memory problem in that thread? Only you never replied to our posts there.

As i said before, let's keep these separate. It would be easier to continue the discussion on "low memory" in that other thread.

You might want to tell us there what was this 'data' you deleted.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks
by santaluciaemilia / June 17, 2011 10:51 AM PDT

Many thanks for suggesting the Awesome duplicate photo finder. Sounds like the amswer, though I see its only possible to search one image at a time.

Collapse -
Awesome Duplicate photo finder
by santaluciaemilia / August 25, 2011 11:45 PM PDT

Hi Mark,
I have just finished deleting over two thousand duplicates with the Awesome Duplicate Photo finder. What an amazing programme, even if you do have to delete them individually. My related problem now is that, thinking I had cleared a lot of memory in doing so, can still not upload to Adobe Starter edition 3.2 (and some images from there to flickr) asAdobe still says 'out of memory'. I'm confused as ever. Also how do I know if the photos really have been deleted if they don't appear in the recycling bin? Please help to unravel. And yes, I'm afraid this query yet again covers two threads-this one and my Adobe one. Apologies.

Collapse -
Re: clearing memory
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 26, 2011 3:27 AM PDT

You can't clear memory. You can only clear hard drive space. Assuming a pic is 1 MB, deleting 2000 pics frees 2 GB of hard disk space. Assuming you have a common hard disk, that's 250 GB. So you cleared 1% of your total hard disk space. A hard disk being USD 100, you freed 1 USD worth of disk space!

Another thing: as long as files are in the recycle bin, they are still on the hard disk. If they would be there, you would have cleared exactly nothing. That's not what you wanted, I'm sure.

To check if they are deleted: go into Windows Explorer or My Computer and see they aren't around anymore where they used to be. In some folder on your hard disk (but you didn't tell which folders you used to store pictures, so I can't point you in any direction).

Now for the out of memory problem. That's either RAM or virtual memory. Can you tell us the amount of RAM in your PC and the virtual memory settings as shown in Control Panel? If you need help with that, please tell which OS you have (Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7?).

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
I agree entirely with Kees
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 26, 2011 6:46 AM PDT

If those deleted files are still in your Recycle Bin, then they are still taking up space on your hard disk.

It is 'hard disk space' not memory.

But I also agree with Kees in his post in your other thread, here;
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-5150818.html

256 MB of RAM, (memory), is simply too small, and this may be causing the Adobe error messages about 'low memory'. That likely has nothing to do with hard disk space at all.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks
by santaluciaemilia / October 5, 2011 3:27 AM PDT

Hi Kees and everyone. Many belated thanks for all your help. I've not had the head to focus on the pc recently hence my delay in acknowledging your suggestions. I'll get back to it soon.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.