Storage forum

General discussion

photo backup- best method

by gregblankenship / October 8, 2008 1:47 AM PDT

I need direction on the best method to safely store photos on my computer. I just noticed that my wife has over five years of photos stored on her windows based desktop and need advise on the best method to store and backup said pictures. I do not know that much about drives so pls walk me through it. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: photo backup- best method
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: photo backup- best method
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The safest storage will be not on your computer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2008 3:49 AM PDT

Computers fail, wipe out, are stolen or get hit with fire, flood or other disasters. For less than a buck I can put a decade of my photos on a DVD. Then later I make a new DVD when it's time to backup again. I can keep that old DVD and soon I have copies in more than a few places.

How much is this collection worth to you?

Collapse -
photo backup
by garylea / October 10, 2008 12:50 PM PDT

I generally keep my photos in folders named by subject. Periodically I write them to a CD (about once a quarter). I do a duplicate of each one since CDs are known for not lasting forever. Hopefully, if I have a disk drive failure I will be able to recover all my pictures from the CDs. In addition I have a portable drive that I back up my entire hard drive to about once per week.

Collapse -
How about a backing them up on a website?
by dexter_birdbrain / October 10, 2008 5:19 PM PDT

I have less than a GB of photos that are precious to me. Besides having them both on my desktop as well as laptop, I have them stored on my free Picasa account as well. I assume Google has redundancy for all the storage they offer...

If you need more storage, upgrade to the "Pro" accounts for a nominal fee. Flickr, Photobucket are my other favorites (both are more "social" as compared to Picasa...).

Collapse -
back up online is better, I think.
by BeardSun / October 10, 2008 5:48 PM PDT

I think, it is better if you back up your photos online. And the backup media is your email! As we know, nowadays, our mailbox has a very big mouth. So we can go to find a software which can change your email to a online harddrive, so that you can upload your photos very easy!

Collapse -
Backup during download
by Petexxxx / October 10, 2008 8:46 PM PDT

I create a backup copy to an external hard drive at the time of downloading photos from the camera. Using Lightroom makes it easy as it has a tick box for this purpose. It allows you to save a second copy to another dive. This way I don't have to backup when I remember. It is always up to date.

I do intend doing some DVD copies to archive in my shed. I did it once and its about time I did it again.

Collapse -
Storage: photo backup- best method
by frankpcrepair / October 11, 2008 2:51 AM PDT

The best way to backup your photo is to use a flash drive.
It's small and will hold a large amout of photos.Just plug it into any usb port and you'll ready to go.
There are different sizes.So you can pick the one that is right for you. Also your photo can then be add to any PC you like.
Good Luck

Collapse -
by forkboy1965 / October 15, 2008 4:06 AM PDT

No doubt you should have a backup plan and implement it soon. I can't imagine anything worse than losing years worth of digital images just because one didn't take the time to back them up.

Various methods are readily available and some work better than others depending upon how large (in mega- or gigabytes) is your collection. But here is what I do in hopes that I'm covering my bases and trying to be smart.

1) After uploading pictures to my PC from my camera's flash memory and making any adjustments to said pictures (using my photo editing software) I immediately back up those images to an external hard drive. (I also back up to an internal secondary hard drive, but you may not have this option)

2) Next I take two DVDs and burn those images to the DVDs. I keep one DVD at the computer desk and the other in a fire-resistant safe (along with other important documents, etc. - everyone should have a fire-proof safe for important documents like marriage certificates, deeds, insurance packages and backup media of pictures).

3) When the DVD that I keep at the computer desk is full I mail it to my father. This way there are copies of my pictures away from my house. Fire-resistant safes are only rated to a certain temperature for a certain time and a house fire could exceed those guides. There are other natural disasters whereby you could lose or find your safe destroyed. Having a backup off-site is a very prudent course of action. Mail that DVD to a family member or friend, preferably one that lives away from your geographical area.

So to recap: on-site storage to a backup hard drive (either internal or external). On-site storage to an optical media. Off-site storage to an optical media.

While I like the idea, as mentioned by another commentator, of using a backup web site, there is always the chance such a company could go out of business, thus leaving you in a state of limbo. And it's possible that you utilize dial-up service so online backup wouldn't be a good use of time. Otherwise it's worth looking into, but I feel is unnecessary if you regularly mail a DVD/CD to someone else.

Collapse -
new backup of digital pictures
by President_us / February 25, 2009 6:27 PM PST

best way of safeness is backup.
i compress my pictures with Advanced Jpeg Compressor and make 2 backups:
1) on their free photo sharing
2) on hdd or dvd in compressed form

Collapse -
Photo backup
by SINBAD / April 14, 2009 4:21 PM PDT

The best way for photos you want to pass on to your family that will still be good years from now is to back them up on CD's. Not just any CD but the ones that have a life of 100 years or longer (gold cds). If you save them any other way then every time you open them they lose some of the quality. So for your best photos and especially if you are a professional use these gold cds. They are a little costlier but worth it.

Collapse -
DVDs, DVD Image + External HDDs
by Mindstyle06 / April 14, 2009 11:24 PM PDT

My method
1. Copy pictures to main PC from memory cards.
2. Rename the pictures using the date prefix, I get the date from EXIF ( I use Faststone Image viewer for this renaming operation.
3. Delete the pictures I am not happy with
4. Edit the pictures those I want to and rename them like old name-xx (x being version number)
5. Every saturday evening is backup time. All my important stuff i.e. documents, pictures, videos get backed up to two external HDDs. (Now that my wife has her own laptop, they will be synced on her laptop too) So more than 2 copies of the data.
5. Once the pictures are about 4GB. I burn 2 DVDs of 2 different manufacturers. (Recommended brands are Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim)
6. Once DVDs are made, I make an ISO of that data and ISO file goes in separate folder called as FINAL Backed up data and the original pictures go in 'Backed up photos folder'.
7. If I run out of space on my HDD. I resize all the pictures in 'Backed up photos folder'.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
2 methods
by prets2010 / August 9, 2010 4:10 AM PDT

It has 2 good methods to backup photos. The first one is to back it up on an hard drive disk. The second one is too put it in an offsite server.

The second option very safe because in case of fire you still have your data safe and recoverable. One good place i found to backup data is ( )

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.