Android forum

Phone Upgrade Out of State?

by Hellrazr360 / August 9, 2011 1:45 PM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> My family and I are eligible for an upgrade with Sprint and we were advised to wait to upgrade until the middle of the month, because of our billing cycle. We currently reside in a small town in Florida, but we'll be in New York for a few days around the date we were suggested to upgrade, and we might get our new phones during that visit.<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Now, I'll be in Orlando for much of the rest of the year and half of next year, but I'm wondering if we need to worry about anything if we decide to upgrade our phones out of state (which also consists of activating a new data plan)? Will there be some location-based issues if we do so, or should we be good to go after upgrading in New York and coming back to Florida shortly after?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Phone Upgrade Out of State?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Phone Upgrade Out of State?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Shouldn't be a problem
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 9, 2011 2:20 PM PDT upgrade the device anywhere in the US. Any Sprint store or authorized reseller should be able to process the upgrade and move your mobile # and phone book contacts over to the new handset.

Collapse -
I would check the coverage in New York
by orlbuckeye / August 9, 2011 11:11 PM PDT

I had a friend that had Sprint and when he went to upstate New York He couldn't get a signal.

Collapse -
I can't speak for Sprint.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2011 11:57 PM PDT

But that's the question to put to them. Here I had phones from across the country and let me share you DO NOT WANT IT if the phone number area code is not where you live.

You find that if you have a phone with a New York area code then while you are in Florida you call for support on your Cable TV. The automatic phone system connects you to support for New York.

Other than that, the place you do business with might balk and say "you didn't get these from us." Remember that the stores are not always owned by Sprint.

Collapse -
Well, we're not moving to New York
by Hellrazr360 / August 10, 2011 3:20 AM PDT

Just visiting for a few days (not even a week). We've had a cell phone upgrade before (minimalist flip phone to minimalist slideout phone) and our phone numbers stayed the exactly same (along with our contacts automatically being in the phones when we got them). But since we're making a cell phone to smartphone upgrade, I'm not sure if the same will hold here.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.