Peripherals forum

General discussion

Phone number for HP technical support based here in the USA?

by Big Steve / December 17, 2009 4:31 AM PST

Does anyone know of a phone number to HP tech support that's here in the USA and not in India? I have an HP Photosmart C5280 inkjet printer that I'm having some printing issues with and would like to speak to someone at HP in technical support who doesn't sound like they're in India or somewhere other than the USA.

I am fully aware that a lot of tech support jobs are getting "outsourced" to India and the Philippines(sp?), I can understand the techs who are based in the Philippines (sp?) but gawd those techs from India I just can't deal with. I was on the phone with one today for about 30 minutes and the guy just talked in circles and when he sensed I was getting aggravated my call suddenly got disconnected. So if anyone on this board knows of an HP tech support phone number based here in the USA where I can talk to someone who can speak "good" english let me know.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Phone number for HP technical support based here in the USA?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Phone number for HP technical support based here in the USA?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why call HP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2009 4:58 AM PST

In many cities I see local tech support. Even Staples, Best Buy and other companies have vans running around to do service and fixing printer issues.

Collapse -
Re: Why call HP?
by Big Steve / December 17, 2009 8:56 AM PST
In reply to: Why call HP?

First I'm looking for an outlet that's free, no out of pocket expenses on my part. The problem I've having has to do with creating documents in MS Works. I was attempting to create an envelope template which I planned to name "Christmas Card Envelopes". I've done this hundreds of times on my older PC but on this PC with this newer printer I'm able to create a custom sized envelope template, a 10.5"L x 5.5"H envelope template which I would address my Christmas cards on, I've also created another template document representing the return address side of the envelope then I plan to pop a blank envelope into the printer, check everything on the screen then hit print.

This HP C5280 Photosmart inkjet printer has something called a document viewer which pops up every time I create a document and attempt to print it but the envelope template appearing on the screen is not the same size as the document I initially created in MS Works. The print on the template will be shifted to the left or to the right, everywhere but where it's supposed to be which is almost dead center. I was planning to send out about 20 Christmas cards here locally but I've decided tomorrow morning to drag out of the closet my 9 year old HP 895Cse Deskjet inkjet printer and hook it up to this PC since the drivers for it are already installed and if all goes as planned I should be able to address those 20 or so Christmas card envelopes in about 30 minutes.

It's just aggravating to have a newer printer with more bells and whistles on it and still can't get it to do what I can get my older printer to do. I'm sure somewhere in the printer's toolbox settings section there's a place to make this all work, I just haven't figured out where to look to make it all work. I can compose letters and fax documents with no problems using this new printer but when I try to create and then print custom sized envelopes is where I've run into some problems.

Collapse -
Ahh. Be sure to add that when you post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2009 9:13 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Why call HP?

We know that free support died years ago on the alter of "lower costs."

Sorry to hear that new fangled is not working so well.

Collapse -
Re: Ahh. Be sure to add that when you post.
by Big Steve / December 19, 2009 1:19 PM PST

Earlier today I dragged my old HP 895Cse inkjet printer out of the closet so I could connect it to my computer and rip out a few Christmas card envelopes and it was a success. Unfortunately I had to disconnect my HP Photosmart C5280 from my computer to do it. I placed my 895Cse right on top of my C5280 and it fit good but tomorrow I'll disconnect the 895Cse since I finished addressing my Christmas cards and it's back to using the C5280. Having an all in one machine like the C5280 is nice for basically everything else. Earlier today I needed to make some copies of some receipts but I couldn't since I was in the middle of addressing my Christmas cards but here's my question.

QUESTION: Does any company make a USB cable with 2 USB connections on one end? I would consider keeping my 895Cse sitting on top of my C5280 if I had a cable which on one end connected to my computer and on the other end had like a splitter with two ends which I could connect to both printers and if I wanted to print on one I would go to Control Panel and simply change the default setting on the printer I wanted to use and print away. Or rather than do all of that would it be better to just connect two separate USB cables to my computer? One cable coming from the back of my C5280 printer and another cable coming from the back of my 895Cse printer?

Collapse -
USB hub
by Steven Haninger / December 19, 2009 8:06 PM PST

Get a USB hub. It will convert one connection to two or more. The self powered ones are probably more reliable and versatile. I won't try to recommend a brand as I suspect there are several all made in the same factories but it sounds like that's what might work. One caveat. You want to make sure you don't mix USB 2.0 and 1.1 if possible as they don't always play nice together.

Collapse -
Re: USB hub
by Big Steve / December 20, 2009 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: USB hub

How would I know if I need to go with a USB 1 or a USB 2? My computer is a 3 year old Dell Dimension 3100 desktop PC with Windows Home XP/SP2, my HP Photosmart C5280 All-In-One inkjet printer which I purchased in August 2008 from Office did not come with a USB cable, I had to purchase one from their store, my HP Deskjet 895Cse "workhorse" inkjet printer which is now 10 years old also did not come with a USB cable but right now I'm using the USB cable I bought for the C5280 inkjet printer last year to power it and it worked very good yesterday while I ripped out about 30 last minute Christmas card envelopes. Could I just buy another USB cable to connect to the older printer or to the newer one and go on printing like I did yesterday or not? Is the USB 1 cable an older technology cable?

Collapse -
You asked for one with two ends
by Steven Haninger / December 20, 2009 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re: USB hub

so I presume you're out of USB ports on your PC. If you have another USB port, you can use that. If you need more with using a hub, you may be able to add a slots by using a board that plugs into an available PCI slot. I can't give you brands or models or assist you with your specific Dell. For that you need to use your own manual or web resources from Dell. But, if both work fine with USB individually, they should work if they each had a USB port. You can always change the printer being used right after pressing the print button.

Collapse -
Re: You asked for one with two ends
by Big Steve / December 20, 2009 8:10 AM PST

I just checked and there is an extra USB port, plug, or whatever you call it on the back of my Dell Dimension 3100 desktop PC tower so I could go buy another USB cable, run it from the other printer and connect it to my Dell PC tower, correct? I can go buy another USB 2.0 cable? A 2.0 cable will work? You can have more than one 2.0 cable plugged into the back of a computer tower, no interference? That'll work? Thanks for the post.

Collapse -
You can plug a cable into any working port
by Steven Haninger / December 20, 2009 6:08 PM PST

Sorry but this needs to be my last post regarding this or it's going to drag on forever. Good luck.

Collapse -
Re: You can plug a cable into any working port
by Big Steve / December 20, 2009 10:47 PM PST

I was going to ask you to explain what you meant by something you said previously but since you have already said that you were not going to post anymore I won't. For what it's worth thanks.

Quote: You want to make sure you don't mix USB 2.0 and 1.1 if possible as they don't always play nice together.

Collapse -
Ok, so I'll make one last post
by Steven Haninger / December 21, 2009 6:30 AM PST

but the USB 2.0 versus 1.1 was in reference to mixing these in a USB hub. Once you looked at your PC and found an available USB port, there was no need to further any discussion about the hub. You've got the port you need already so you just plug the other printer in. USB ports on your PC should be downward compatible with 1.1. You also said both printers ready work so you must have the drivers installed. There is nothing more to say here. All bases have been more than adequately covered. Sorry if you feel offended.

Collapse -
Re: Ok, so I'll make one last post
by Big Steve / December 21, 2009 1:36 PM PST

Me offended? Nahhhh, it's Christmas. Have a large mug of warm egg nog or if you prefer like I do a mug of ice cold egg nog and a slice or two of some Harry & David fruit cake. Merrrrry Christmas.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions


Free trip to the Grand Prix

Don't miss your chance to win a trip to the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Monaco for you and a plus-one.