PC Applications forum

General discussion

Phone dialer software

by notoftherightmind / August 9, 2008 7:21 PM PDT

I have a cable landline and would like to be able to dial from my computer is there any software out there to do this? (Just for the smart alec I would like to know names of software. Happy )

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Phone dialer software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Phone dialer software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Don't know of any first hand...have you looked ?
by VAPCMD / August 10, 2008 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Phone dialer software
Collapse -
Such software is bundled with Voice Modems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 3:22 AM PDT

But today these are endangered species as no one wants to hook up like this (save you?)

So let's google this -> VOICE MODEM WITH SOFTWARE.
You'll find the common titles.

Collapse -
by ChuckT / August 10, 2008 7:32 AM PDT

I am not sure what you mean when you say you have a "cable landline" but perhaps you mean your telephone is a cable plugged into your computer.

If you do have a real telephone line, plugged into your computer then, and it depends upon which version of OS you have, let's suppose it is Windows Vista) you can go to the "Dialer" which probably does not show up in your Start menu.

Regardless, just try this:
Open the Run window (try holding down the Windows key and press the letter "R")
Type "dialer" in the Run window field and press the [OK] button.

See if that opens the Dialer.

If so, then you should be able to figure out how to make it connect to your telephone line, using the modem that must be in your computer - since that is where your telephone line is plugged.

Collapse -
by notoftherightmind / August 10, 2008 1:35 PM PDT

I meant it is part of the internet cable, along with the computer and tv. (That is what you get for stay up for 24 hours.)

Collapse -
by ChuckT / August 10, 2008 3:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Oops

Cable is not telephone. You don't use a cable connection to dial out on.

EXCEPT! (and there are always exceptions, aren't there...) if you have the type of cable service where your cable provider is selling you telephone service on that one line (which might even be an optical line). Sometimes there are packages of mixed services (TV, Internet, and telephone) on that one line. But, if you have that, and are subscribed to it, you will then have a converter box usually somewhere on the outside of the house, that "splits" that one cable into the three types of services and sends that portion down a devoted set of house wires.

In the case of a telephone service, riding on cable, your converter box will have a set of wires from it to the regular telephone house wiring. In that case, just treat the telephone house wiring exactly like any other regular house telephone system.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 11, 2008 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Cable

However, if you mean you want to make phone calls from your computer using the cable internet connection, then look up VOIP, (Voice Over Internet Protocol). One of the most famous of these is Skype.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.