Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

Philips GoGear Ariaz MP3 player- Dead. Can I rescue?

by Buel100 / February 18, 2013 3:00 PM PST

I have a 16gb Philips MP3 player that I listen to every day, it is about 4 months old. When I plug it in to my computer to charge, it will not appear on 'My Computer'.

Please can I ask can I rescue the data on there at all?
Could it just be a battery problem?

Thank you all.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Philips GoGear Ariaz MP3 player- Dead. Can I rescue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Philips GoGear Ariaz MP3 player- Dead. Can I rescue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Did you try other USB cables?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 12:31 AM PST

As what data is there to rescue? We copy our MP3s from our PC to said thing so what we want is on the PC?

Collapse -
USB cable works fine
by Buel100 / February 19, 2013 2:03 AM PST

I tried the same USB cable with an old Philips MP3 player (it has a cracked screen so no display) and that works fine. Thank you for the idea though.

As for the data, it's 16gb of audio (podcasts, MP3s etc) that I have built up. Up until November last year I always backed them up on my external HD but I have added a lot since then.

Is it possible that some sort of power cable has broken and that I can 'open up' the MP3 player to get at the hard drive in there?

Thank you for this!

Collapse -
Wait a moment
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: USB cable works fine

How would add content onto this without it being on your local media? I can only guess this is now a discussion where we hear the moderator say "we only lose what we didn't backup."

So if the cable is good and another unit works then this is just another sad story about the backup copy was not made.

I'd still try another cable and another PC.

Collapse -
Take HD out?
by Buel100 / February 19, 2013 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Wait a moment

Totally agree with the need for regular back ups, totally my own fault.

However, my question is is it possible to take the HD out of the MP3 player?

Collapse -
Since you have a broken one. You can see if it has such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: Take HD out?

And of course you can research if others have done this.

Collapse -
Where is the SSD?
by Buel100 / February 22, 2013 5:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Looks to be a flash memory chip on the board.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: Where is the SSD?

Some folk confuse SSD with flash chips and such. But if I was to guess it's the big chip on the bottom of the second picture. Read that numbers and put them in google to see if you can decode what the chip is.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.