Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

PestPatrol Pests

by jackfrost64 / September 24, 2004 4:45 AM PDT

Zone alarm sent me a chance to try an online version of Pest Patrol free. I ran The scan and even though I had just run ad-aware & spybot pestpatrol found 29 pests. Now I would like to manually remove them from the registry but I have a couple questions; 1) If I make a restore point and use regedt32 to go and remove the registry entries am I fairly safe? and if I remove the 22 entries they found in GameSpy Arcade will Gamespy still work? Or is it more appropiate to just delete the registry Items and then uninstall Gamespy Altogether?

Richard

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PestPatrol Pests
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PestPatrol Pests
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: PestPatrol Pests
by Donna Buenaventura / September 24, 2004 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: PestPatrol Pests

Hi,

GameSpy Arcade is considered as Adware.

Adware is a software that brings ads to your computer. Such ads may or may not be targeted, but are "injected" and/or popup, and are not displayed within the form of an ad-sponsored application. Some Adware may hijack the ads of other companies, replacing them with its own. See also Spyware, Browser Helper Object.

I suggest that you just allow PestPatrol to handle them instead of manually touching the registry. Anything that you will allow PestPatrol to remove will be stored in the Logs>Restore tab where you can restore if you still want to use the GameSpy Arcade.

Collapse -
Re: PestPatrol Pests
by Gakada / September 24, 2004 5:08 AM PDT

Take a note of anything pestpatrol found.. then google it for more information on it.

As far as I know, pest patrol can found many false positive... which you can not even find the file or registry entry in your HD/system.

Also use other online scan (for virus or adware/spyware) such as trendmicro, panda, bitdefender etc...

Good Luck

Collapse -
I second it ! Lots of False Positives with Pest Patrol !
by Marianna Schmudlach / September 24, 2004 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: PestPatrol Pests

Collapse -
You can also try to uninstall the GameSpy
by Donna Buenaventura / September 24, 2004 4:56 PM PDT

software that you currently have and install the ad-free GameSpy.

Note that on from Gamespy Arcade download page, you can download and ad-free version for a cost or an ad-ridden version for free. Scroll down to the bottom of the download page for the free version.

During Gamespy's installation, you will be prompted as to whether you would also like a few spyware products, such as WebHancer and Gator, installed on your system. Unless you adore spyware, I highly recommend that you opt out and just say no when prompted. If you want to know more about spyware and how to find and get rid of it if it's on your PC, go to Lavasoft and read about their popular Ad-Aware product. Highly recommended!

http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/install/gsainstall.htm

Use google web-search or by group to search for GameSpy Arcade and you'll know that many are "talking" about GameSpy Arcade is considered spyware because of the 3rd party stuff that is bundled with the software.

Check the GameSpy Arcade forums and you'll see the discussions on what 3rd party software (known as spyware) will be installed if you will not opt-out.

Collapse -
Re: You can also try to uninstall the GameSpy
by jackfrost64 / September 25, 2004 1:20 AM PDT

Thanks Donna, and all for help. I have uninstalled Game Spy until I can buy ther subscription. AS far as the other Pest Patrol I have decided on an individual basis to remove or not. Have a nice weekend all.

Richard

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Richard. We're happy to be of help.
by Donna Buenaventura / September 25, 2004 1:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: Follow up
by jackfrost64 / September 25, 2004 8:31 AM PDT

Donna, I am assuming that if I remove the specfic Registry entries that Pest Patrol found that one of two things is going to happen if I try to play on gamespy: 1)Gamespy will install the same registry entries or, 2) the site will not operate. Am I correct in assuming this? Last, Why didn't Ad-Aware or Spybot pick up on these pests?

Richard

Collapse -
Re: RE: Follow up
by Donna Buenaventura / September 25, 2004 4:42 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Follow up

I'm not sure if it'll re-create the same registry keys that PestPatrol found. Just try following the advise from http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/install/gsainstall.htm to hopefully no spyware will be installed, it says-

"During Gamespy's installation, you will be prompted as to whether you would also like a few spyware products, such as WebHancer and Gator, installed on your system. Unless you adore spyware, I highly recommend that you opt out and just say no when prompted."

After you've installed GameSpy without the 3rd party items (the spyware), reboot. Run a scan again using PestPatrol again to find out if it'll detect spyware again.

BTW, if a game will not show after doing the above, click on Gamespy>Options on Gamespy Arcade's menu bar. Under Options, click on the Games tab. On the left side is a Layout area. Click on the Browse button and manually select the game that is not listed.

With regards to your question on why Ad-aware didn't detect it as spyware:

Lavasoft team wrote: It is because even if the objects are there, the software in question has passed our Threat Assesment Chart (TAC) then we will not target them....

You can find the discussion here

Can't find any "statement" from Spybot S&D but there is a discussion in Spybot S&D official forum.

Just try installing it again but opt-out in any 3rd party stuff that it will try to install during installation process.

If PestPatrol will still detect it as spyware though you opted-out not to install the so-called spyware stuff, configure to exclude the items. That is if you installed GameSpy arcade without the 3rd party items.

Hope the above helps.

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / September 25, 2004 9:36 AM PDT

i use gamespy free to play online just to let u know

Collapse -
by jackfrost64 / September 25, 2004 11:22 AM PDT

Mark I have used it for sometime, but, lately everyone has been telling me that it is nothing but spyware and I am somewhat confused. Appreciate your telling me that you use it. I assume you are not worried about the spyware.

Richard

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / September 25, 2004 11:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Mark5019 / September 25, 2004 12:54 PM PDT

all i know is i feel free im stealthed and i feel ok

Collapse -
Crysis comes bundles with Spyware compliments of Google
by intrepi / May 3, 2008 10:03 AM PDT

I have installed Crysis which came bundled with some spyware compliments of Double Click now owned by Google. I uninstalled the game but the spy ware remained until it was deleted with Anonymizer which found it in the registry files. I am now going to a different Browser, No, it sure as hell won't be IE6 or 7, 8, or anything that comes after it. God, Linux is looking better every day but not quite as good as Mac

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.