Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Pest Control hijacked Firefox browser

by indigoaven / June 6, 2006 7:07 AM PDT

I was using firefox and than switched to IE. When I tryed to get back to firefox it said it was already running and to restart my computer. I scanned with spysweeper,ad-aware and than yahoo anti-spy. Yahoo anti-spy found Pest Control had hi-jacked my firefox browser. I was downloading flashplayer 8 from Adobe on IE. What is pest control and did it come from the flashplayer download. Surprized that spysweeper or ad-aware didn't catch it. Has this happened to anyone before on firefox being hi-jacked? My OS WindowsXP SP2. By the way I did not restart my computer.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pest Control hijacked Firefox browser
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pest Control hijacked Firefox browser
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
possible hijack
by tomron / June 6, 2006 8:45 AM PDT

Did you check tools>options>general tab>check if FF is your default browser.

If this is a hijack issue,click HERE

NOTE:use with caution.

Collapse -
No, but it is now!
by indigoaven / June 6, 2006 11:28 AM PDT
In reply to: possible hijack

I didn't have it as my default browser, but it is now. Is Pest Control some sort of spy cleaner? I also remember when I checked the info on it, all it said was something yahoo? I don't know if it came from yahoo,either. Speaking of yahoo, when I try to get into the games room on firefox, it's running but nothing else happens, so I end up using IE for games from yahoo, etc.
Thanks for answering.

Collapse -
Pest Control
by tomron / June 6, 2006 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: No, but it is now!

I googled for pest control and found THIS

I don't know anything about games rooms maybe someone else can help you with that.

I suggest running some programs,click HERE Also install EWIDO and SPYWARE BLASTER which is a preventer,not a scanner.

Collapse -
by indigoaven / June 7, 2006 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Pest Control

I downloaded spywareblaster and today ran a scan with Ad-aware, it found nothing,good. I am glad that there is a free software program for this, as it can be a pain to keep scanning for junk!! Thanks for the tip on this. I do have Norton,Spysweeper,ad-aware, and yahoo anti-spy, so I should be in good shape. The only other thing is spysweeper has been slowing down my computer, even after a restore. It has been using 50% CPU.

Collapse -
by tomron / June 7, 2006 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: SpywareBlaster

Some programs use alot of resources.

I have AVG,when it scans my computer slows down considerably.Also could be low on ram.

Collapse -
The 'already running' message.
by mart44 / June 6, 2006 2:31 PM PDT

I've heard of 'Pest Patrol', which is a reputable company, I haven't heard of 'Pest Control' though. Did the Yahoo message say that what it had found was definitely related to Firefox?

It isn't unknown for Firefox to appear to have shut down when it really hasn't. When this happens, it won't usually be anything to do with malware. The cure is to press CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up Task Manager. Look for firefox.exe in the list, select it and click the 'End Process' Button. Then try opening Firefox again.

Collapse -
Re: Already running message
by indigoaven / June 7, 2006 1:15 PM PDT

I wasn't aware that firefox would shut down, but when I was using IE and then tryed to open firefox icon it said that it was already running. After I scanned with yahoo anti-spy(which found the hijacked pest control) and removed it, I then was able to click on firefox icon and got the browser.
The info from yahoo said pest control and it may have come from So far everything is ok. How often do I need to check for updates on spyblaster? I'm doing it manually.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.