Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Persistent but Inconsistent iTunes Runtime Error Message

by analyzerbunny / June 8, 2007 4:26 AM PDT

A while ago, I started getting a runtime error message when I'd open iTunes.

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way."

The odd thing is sometimes it doesn't happen. Or, if it does, I found by opening the application a few times I'd be able to get back into iTunes without the error message popping up.

I have been trying to find information about this problem on CNET but was unable to locate a post that involved the iTunes application specifically.

I am running Windows XP with service pack 2 which is up to date.

Additionally, I have Norton System Works which scans the hard drive once a week and cleans up files.

Is there a simple and painless way I solve this problem?

Can anyone help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Persistent but Inconsistent iTunes Runtime Error Message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Persistent but Inconsistent iTunes Runtime Error Message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If no-one can help you here
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 8, 2007 6:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
Safari Browser?
by juce_255 / June 14, 2007 8:43 PM PDT

Hi,

I've just started experiencing the exact same problem (although I can't seem to access iTunes no matter how many times I open it).

I'm also running XP with an up-to-date service pack 2.

I had Norton Internet Security but got rid of it ages ago and had to format my whole hard drive (Norton are absolutely hopeless these days and full of really bad bugs).

One thing that I can think of that may have caused it: I just recently installed the new windows version of the apple Safari browser (beta).

Let me know if you've also installed it recently.

good luck

Juce_255

Collapse -
Maybe This Can Help...
by analyzerbunny / June 15, 2007 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Safari Browser?

Hello,

I have not installed Safari on my PC.

However, I managed to solve the problem with the runtime error message (though, I am keeping my fingers crossed it continues running properly).

Although, after several attempts I was usually able to get into iTunes without the error message popping up, every time I tried to update the program from the iTunes help menu the error message appeared without fail.

So, rather than being able going through a short update process, I downloaded the entire program (version 7.2), installed it, and so far that has solved the problem for me.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Collapse -
Addendum...
by analyzerbunny / June 15, 2007 4:08 AM PDT

Just thought I should add that I did not uninstall the "older" version of iTunes before downloading and installing version 7.2. since I figured that would mean I'd lose all the music I'd ripped into iTunes.

As the 7.2 installed it transferred all my music files into the new version, so everything was fine.

Collapse -
thanks
by juce_255 / June 15, 2007 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Addendum...

Thanks a lot! Happy

I'll give that a try.

f*

Collapse -
yes
by coreybruyere / June 15, 2007 4:02 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

i just downloaded safari beta on my xp and itunes gets the same message will everything go back to normal if i delete safari?

Collapse -
SAME PROBLEM!
by jhouse01 / June 22, 2007 8:56 PM PDT

I have also recently installed the Safari 3 Beta!

I now get the runtime error message, and no matter how many times I load the iTunes app I get the message.

What can we do!?

You found a solution?

Collapse -
iTunes & Safari problem
by jhouse01 / June 22, 2007 9:15 PM PDT
In reply to: SAME PROBLEM!

Just tried uninstalling Safari, but iTunes still doesn't work. Does anyone know if you delete and re-install iTunes, it saves playlists etc?

Collapse -
installing update fixed it for me
by nosillacast / June 22, 2007 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: SAME PROBLEM!

I just installed the latest beta of Safari 3 and it fixed iTunes for me.

Safari 3 also broke iTunes on my OSX side (I'm running XP in Parallels). In that case an update didn't fix it, but an uninstall which replaced it with Safari 2.04 fixed the problem. I miss those orange find thingys now on the Mac!

Collapse -
There Have Been Recently Discovered Security Flaws....
by tobeach / June 15, 2007 5:25 PM PDT

in Safari for Windows & attending ones for ITunes/Quick Time.
This could explain Update problems as NEW VERSION was required.Below:

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:10 am

Apple Issues Windows Safari Bug Fixes

Apple today issued software updates to fix at least three security vulnerabilities in the new version of the Safari Web browser, designed for Windows PCs.

The fixes are available in a new version of the browser, Safari 3.0.1 Public Beta for Windows, or via the Apple Software Update application bundled with versions of QuickTime and iTunes for Windows. Apple says none of these flaws introduce security holes in Mac OS X versions of the browser.

Hope this clarifies some fears. Happy

Collapse -
Safari 3 and iTunes
by nosillacast / June 18, 2007 3:09 AM PDT

Loaded Safari 3 last week and today my iTunes is boogered as well. Installed iTunes from the web, and now all is well. thanks to all who posted.

Collapse -
Safari 3 and iTunes
by jbenherman / June 23, 2007 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Safari 3 and iTunes

thanks CNET forum. did the trick. Thanks Google, too...got me to the forum

Collapse -
Maybe not
by briddie / July 1, 2007 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Safari 3 and iTunes

I had Safari, and got the iTunes error. I updated iTunes and that fixed the error but only temporarily. Now I see there is a newer version of iTunes. I tried removing Safari but that didn't help iTunes so now I'm updating iT again, for the second time this month.

I couldn't find anything on the iTunes support page; has anyone else?

Collapse -
Hope This Helps...
by analyzerbunny / July 1, 2007 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe not

It's going on a month since I downloaded the complete iTunes version 7.2 and installed it, and iTunes is still running perfectly for me.

I wasn't able to update the program anyway because of the darn runtime error message.

So, if you are installing an older version of iTunes from a disk and then updating it from the iTunes menu, I would try downloading and installing the full program instead.

It seems to have solved the problem for me.

Collapse -
cheap and cheery
by hobbes1000 / July 4, 2007 12:46 PM PDT

Try updating outside of iTunes

Start --> Programs ---> Apple Software Update

Collapse -
Problem happens when iPod is connected
by djh5009 / July 6, 2007 1:10 AM PDT

I started getting this problem as well after I had installed iTunes 7.0. The problem only occurs when I start up iTunes, and my iPod is already connected to the computer. A simple fix for now is this: make sure the iPod is not connected to the computer when you start up iTunes. After iTunes has started up, then connect the iPod, and there seems to be no problem.

Collapse -
The Problem may be the Apple Software Update program
by mlgutt / July 6, 2007 2:21 PM PDT

I was getting the same error message. I updated iTunes a few weeks back, it solved the problem for a while but cropped up again. I checked the technical message on the Runtime Error box, and it referred to the Apple Software Update program. I also tried to run that program through my programs menu and was getting an error as well. I deleted the Apple Software Update program and now am getting into iTunes fine. Maybe the issue is anti-virus software blocking the auto-update feature?

Collapse -
apple software update fixed it for me
by 5errr / July 7, 2007 8:24 AM PDT

i was getting the same problem and fixed it by running the apple software update.

Collapse -
"Safari - beta" may have caused our problem......
by turtletrot1 / July 7, 2007 9:47 AM PDT

I uninstalled Safari-beta. Then I went to www.iTunes.com and downloaded the latest version. It appears to have overridden what I already had. My Library is intact. My iPod got Sync'd with no trouble. It appears the problem is solved.
With all the knocking of MS Windows, I note that both SAFARI and iTunes are Apple/Mac products. There is no perfection out there!

Collapse -
Return of Runtime Error Message!
by analyzerbunny / July 7, 2007 10:42 AM PDT

Hello,

Although, I had hoped to have solved the runtime error message problem (aka curse) by downloading and installing iTunes version 7.2, today, once again, the runtime error message returned.

So, I took your advice and deleted the Apple Update software program.

Sure enough, the runtime error message went away (for now, anyway).

But, when I rebooted the computer after doing so, every icon on my computer went generic, all document, file and application programs icons are now generic in appearance, so it's a lot harder to spot files and applications I am looking for on the desktop etc.

Even when I selected "Use only this application to open program" whether it was an MP3 or WAV. file for Windows Media Player, a Microsoft Word document etc. the icons did not revert.

Did this happen to you when you deleted the Apple Software Update program?

Maybe the icons will revert back to norman on their own, but since this occured after deleting the Apple Update program and rebooting, I was wondering if this happened to you as well?

And, if it did, how did you solve the problem?

Collapse -
Icons Returned to Normal, but...
by analyzerbunny / July 8, 2007 3:07 AM PDT

Hello Again,

Fortunately, all my icons returned to normal after I turned off the computer and re-booted.

But, just this morning, something happened that has never happened before.

I booted up the computer and as usual, went to log into my email account (Earthlink), but when I returned to the computer expecting my email program to be up and running, to my dread, I saw the same notorious Runtime Error message, only this time it was for my Earthlink application.

The application had disconnected from internet just after bringing up the mailbox window, and there was the Runtime Error Message on the screen.

Have you or anyone here started to experience the Runtime Error with any other applications other than iTunes?

Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Collapse -
XP fix for iTunes RunTIme Error
by keith.wegner / July 11, 2007 11:38 PM PDT

I just have done an unorthodox installation. As opposed to removing uninstalling iTunes and downloading the most recent version from apple.com, I overwrote the current version (never uninstalled) That was to avoid losing my songs. The error message started one day ago and was 100% persistant. This install has solved the issue so far.

Running on Toshiba Satellite, XP2

Strange that I haven't noticed any recent updates on my laptop that woulda caused this error.

Collapse -
XP fix for iTunes RunTIme Error b - a fix that worked!
by turtletrot1 / July 12, 2007 12:21 AM PDT

"I uninstalled Safari-beta. Then I went to www.iTunes.com and downloaded the latest version. (Notice - not through iTunes, but URL as stated!)It appears to have overridden what I already had. My Library is intact. My iPod got Sync'd with no trouble."
You can see my original posing above. I have had no problems since. None at all.

Collapse -
You Posted a Great Solution...
by analyzerbunny / August 18, 2007 5:09 AM PDT

Hi,

The tip you offered about deleting the Apple Software Update Program seems to have indeed solved the problem for me as well.

It's been over month since I deleted the program, and this is the longest period of time I have gone without a Runtime Error occuring when opening iTunes. It's running just fine now.

Everything else I tried only seemed to solve the problem for a couple weeks at best.

So, thanks for great tip!

Collapse -
Safari + IE + Itunes = Visual C++ Runtime Error => format???
by bjc23 / July 12, 2007 4:47 PM PDT

I too started noticing strange things after installing Safari.
I have Norton 360 and Spy Sweeper.

Now my computer cannot access the desktop, it just kind of stops on the blue screen with Microsoft logo in the middle. Says it is a Visual C++ Runtime Error and the file location involves Internet Explorer.

I tried running safe mode, last known good config., dont' know what else I can do but reformat and reinstall the OS. Can't believe this is happenning.

I bought Windows Washer, but I don't know how to install it w/o having access to my desktop so I can run the program.

Can anyone help me?

Collapse -
Run Time Error etc etc etc
by turtletrot1 / July 12, 2007 10:02 PM PDT

""I uninstalled Safari-beta. Then I went to www.iTunes.com and downloaded the latest version. (Notice - not through iTunes, but URL as stated!)It appears to have overridden what I already had. My Library is intact. My iPod got Sync'd with no trouble."
You can see my original posing above. I have had no problems since. None at all."
I think you are into overkill. Try the simple solution I finally got to work and see if it does not work for you. Uninstall Safari. Then go to www.itunes.com and then download the latest - 7.3.1 I believe. (And forget Safari.)
Give it a try and see if that does not solve your problems.
I am not sure why we NEED Safari. I would not bother with it again in a "beta" mode.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.