PC Applications forum

Praise

Performance Comparison of PC Maintenance Software

by MichaelHere / July 18, 2013 7:23 PM PDT

Personal Computers can be vulnerable and in need of careful maintenance.

There are always sweet talks and exaggerated advertisements selling PC maintenance tools.

So?

We need it and we cannot trust it 100%,
in which case the only way we can choose is to test and find our favourite according to our needs.

As an experienced PC user and professional technician,

I have tested different kinds of PC maintenance software and compared their performances.

The form below is a summary for your reference.

1. Size of installer:

(1) Wise Care 365---[7.93M ]
(2) CCleaner---[4.19M ]
(3) Advanced SystemCare Ultimate---[59.4M ]
(4) SpeedUpMyPC---[1.26M ]
(5) PowerSuite---[1.44M ]
(6) Glary Utilities---[15.1M ]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2. Size after installed:

(1) Wise Care 365---[25.1M]
(2) CCleaner---[11.4M ]
(3) Advanced SystemCare Ultimate---[157M ]
(4) SpeedUpMyPC---[25.6M ]
(5) PowerSuite---[79.6M ]
(6) Glary Utilities---[40M ]

3. Memory occupied:

(1) Wise Care 365---[6.6~12M ]
(2) CCleaner---[4.8~7M ]
(3) Advanced SystemCare Ultimate---[31~81M ]
(4) SpeedUpMyPC---[60~140M ]
(5) PowerSuite---[100~105M ]
(6) Glary Utilities---[59~90M ]

4. CPU Utilization:

(1) Wise Care 365---[2%~ 25% ]
(2) CCleaner---[2%~ 25% ]
(3) Advanced SystemCare Ultimate---[10%~ 25% ]
(4) SpeedUpMyPC---[5%~ 28% ]
(5) PowerSuite---[10%~ 25% ]
(6) Glary Utilities---[10%~ 26% ]

5. Scan Speed:

(1) Wise Care 365---[4s ]
(2) CCleaner---[4s ]
(3) Advanced SystemCare Ultimate---[5m ]
(4) SpeedUpMyPC---[1m ]
(5) PowerSuite---[35s ]
(6) Glary Utilities---[20s ]

6. Processes:

(1) Wise Care 365---[1~2 ]
(2) CCleaner---[ 1]
(3) Advanced SystemCare Ultimate---[5~6 ]
(4) SpeedUpMyPC---[1~2 ]
(5) PowerSuite---[1~2 ]
(6) Glary Utilities---[1~ 2]

7. Threads:

(1) Wise Care 365---[4~11 ]
(2) CCleaner---[5~7 ]
(3) Advanced SystemCare Ultimate---[52~70 ]
(4) SpeedUpMyPC---[49~113 ]
(5) PowerSuite---[30~32 ]
(6) Glary Utilities---[ 28~32]

I just hope you can add more indices to the comparison form, which can help everyone out there to choose the right software and maintain top PC performance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Performance Comparison of PC Maintenance Software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Performance Comparison of PC Maintenance Software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Frankly, junk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 2:55 AM PDT

Most of what you listed is GOOD NEWS FOR THOSE THAT ARE IN THE PC REPAIR AND SERVICE INDUSTRY.

With the decline in PC sales, I hope everyone tries this out. My friends at the service counters world wide owe you lunch for this year!
Bob

Collapse -
anything wrong to be helpful?
by MichaelHere / July 21, 2013 6:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Frankly, junk.

yea, not everyone can afford buying a new one everytime the PC goes wrong.

So what's the fault to provide an alternative method to solve PC problems?!

Wait to have lunch with you! Bob!

Collapse -
You are helping my friends in service counters worldwide.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2013 12:53 AM PDT

They truly appreciate folk that promote these titles. Once you get more exposure you learn why I've written such a reply. That is, these often create their own new issues.

As to lunch, Palm Springs in about a month.
Bob

Collapse -
ok, everyone here is witnessing the bet
by MichaelHere / July 22, 2013 6:57 PM PDT

Please,
someone who's ever been benefitted stand out to tell them they are wrong and you don't need the Moderator's repair shop Sad I can forward the lunch in Palm Springs provided by Bob to you as a reward of telling the truth. Silly
Please confirm the specific date and place of the lunch Bob:P

Collapse -
I made no bet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2013 2:01 AM PDT

But as my friends do a lot of recovery from titles you listed, I pass along their thanks.
Bob

Collapse -
ok, i'll go ahead make more professional study and research.
by MichaelHere / August 8, 2013 5:30 PM PDT
In reply to: I made no bet.

I believe the user will be the one who benefits.

Collapse -
Interesting and Thanks for sharing. I'm still wondering if
by VAPCMD / July 19, 2013 3:48 PM PDT

these tools/programs do good a job at what they're designed to do and whether there's much risk of making the performance/problems worse than better ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
why not find it yourself.
by MichaelHere / July 21, 2013 6:45 PM PDT

yea.

Collapse -
This happens to be a good question!
by MichaelHere / August 8, 2013 5:36 PM PDT

Smith said in After Earth:
Danger is real. But, fear, is a choice. Happy

According to my using experience, the optimization tools will not do any harm if you read carefully the words on the interface before clicking around randomly.
I mean, a simple pen would hurt you if you eat it instead of writing with it, right? :>

Collapse -
re-ordered the software
by MichaelHere / July 21, 2013 6:40 PM PDT

1. Size of installer
(1) SpeedUpMyPC---[1.26M ] (size of online downloader)
(2) PowerSuite---[1.44M ] (size of online downloader)
(3) CCleaner---[4.19M ]
(4) Wise Care 365---[7.93M ]
(5) Glary Utilities---[15.1M ]
(6) Advanced SystemCare Ultimate---[59.4M ]

2. Size after installed
(1) CCleaner---[11.4M ]
(2) Wise Care 365---[25.1M]
(3) SpeedUpMyPC---[25.6M ]
(4) Glary Utilities---[40M ]
(5) PowerSuite---[79.6M ]
(6) Advanced SystemCare Ultimate---[157M ]

3. Memory occupied
(1) CCleaner---[4.8~7M ]
(2) Wise Care 365---[6.6~12M ]
(3) Advanced SystemCare Ultimate---[31~81M ]
(4) Glary Utilities---[59~90M ]
(5) SpeedUpMyPC---[60~140M ]
(6) PowerSuite---[100~105M ]

4. CPU Utilization:
(1) Wise Care 365---[2%~ 25% ]
(2) CCleaner---[2%~ 25% ]
(3) SpeedUpMyPC---[5%~ 28% ]
(4) Advanced SystemCare Ultimate---[10%~ 25% ]
(5) PowerSuite---[10%~ 25% ]
(6) Glary Utilities---[10%~ 26% ]

5. Scan Speed
(1) Wise Care 365---[4s ]
(2) CCleaner---[4s ]
(3) Glary Utilities---[20s ]
(4) PowerSuite---[35s ]
(5) SpeedUpMyPC---[1m ]
(6) Advanced SystemCare Ultimate---[5m ]

6. Processes
(1) Advanced SystemCare Ultimate---[5~6 ]
(2) Wise Care 365---[1~2 ]
(3) SpeedUpMyPC---[1~2 ]
(4) PowerSuite---[1~2 ]
(5) Glary Utilities---[1~ 2]
(6) CCleaner---[ 1]

7. Threads
(1) SpeedUpMyPC---[49~113 ]
(2) Advanced SystemCare Ultimate---[52~70 ]
(3) PowerSuite---[30~32 ]
(4) Glary Utilities---[ 28~32]
(5) Wise Care 365---[4~11 ]
(6) CCleaner---[5~7 ]

Collapse -
an accident looking for a place to happen
by itsdigger / July 21, 2013 6:48 PM PDT

no thanks, I can mess up my computer all by myself without adding all the junk tools you listed

Collapse -
so how about those who are not professional in PC knowledge?
by MichaelHere / July 21, 2013 6:51 PM PDT

It's not a good idea to overlook and despise vulnerable group.

Collapse -
in that case let someone else do the repairs
by itsdigger / July 21, 2013 6:58 PM PDT

If you don't know how to fix your computer, don't compound the problems by rubbing snake oil on them.

Collapse -
so if a tool can do that
by MichaelHere / July 21, 2013 7:07 PM PDT

why not stop wasting someone else's time?
God helps those who help themselves.

Who can possibly do everything relying on others' help?
anti-intelligent?

Collapse -
the tools you list can do more damage than good
by itsdigger / July 21, 2013 7:19 PM PDT

90% are garbage and the other 10% should be left to pros that know how to use them. Too many unlucky people come to this forum stating they used this registry cleaner or that utility and really messed up the whole computer and they now have to reinstall the whole os and it's because of people like you that recommend those utilities that get those poor folks in trouble. Why don't you keep your bad advice to yourself.

Collapse -
the "poor" ppl in your eyes can grow to be powerful pro.
by MichaelHere / July 21, 2013 7:26 PM PDT

Every pro grew up from a poor newbie.
Never underestimate others' ability to learn new things.

Making mistakes, even messing up the whole PC, is not a terrible thing. It only indicates that he/she lacks knowledge somewhere and did not use the tools right. Ppl learn from errors!

We can say, be careful when you are using tools.
But we cannot say, never touch them because you cannot understand them now!

Collapse -
true
by itsdigger / July 21, 2013 7:59 PM PDT

and if these folks follow your advice, they are for sure going to have those great learning experiences , messing up their os's , making their computer's unusable, having to pay someone to fix them. I bet you have a good little repair shop you refer people to.

Collapse -
there's a thing called internet
by MichaelHere / July 21, 2013 8:08 PM PDT
In reply to: true

and ppl can learn by themselves.

guess what, you are wrong. i definitely don't own a little repair shop or anything like that.

why do you always think others are not that smart as you are?
unbelievable confidence which leads a person think that other folks would fail "for sure".
OMG

i need to go back to Mars to have some rest and think about the phenomenon now.
Chat with you next time! bye smartest guy!

Collapse -
Mars would be a Great place
by itsdigger / July 22, 2013 2:10 AM PDT

for a repair shop.

Collapse -
i'm back and
by MichaelHere / July 22, 2013 6:58 PM PDT

Martians also think you are wrong. Admit it! Silly

Collapse -
From Russia with Love
by LexxxLuger / July 24, 2013 1:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just more snake oil
by itsdigger / July 24, 2013 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: From Russia with Love

and we'll be hearing from you soon asking whats wrong with your computer ,it was working fine when I shut it down last night but when I started it up this morning ...........

Collapse -
good
by MichaelHere / August 8, 2013 5:38 PM PDT
In reply to: From Russia with Love

I will look at it to see whether it deserves adding to the list.

Collapse -
WARNING: Don't use Wise products.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 23, 2013 11:22 PM PST

This poster consistently spams Wise products. So probably he isn't an independent observer, but paid by them to promote their software. That's reason enough for us to advice you to NOT use it.

Kees

Collapse -
OK Hear Me Out...
by Jack_Murray_66 / December 28, 2013 2:47 AM PST

I am by no means any sort of an expert, at anything. And certainly I am no expert when it comes to the most basic PC optimization/cleaning methods.

I can only go by what I observe, and if I could really quickly give you a little background, I am a Firefighter/EMT, working two 24 hour shifts per week(this week Tuesday & Saturday, next Wednesday & Sunday, and so on). My second gig I have formed a nice little niche for myself in the accounting industry. I am by no means an expert, but I am good with people and that allows me to be successful in what I do. Basically, I travel to the clients house, install Quickbooks software, import in our basic chart of accounts, and teach them how to cut checks and make deposits, showing them how it effects their profit and loss statements. I call it QB 101.

So I have had the opportunity to see a lot of PCs and their users preferences, and performance optimizations. Unfortunately, most businesses that are not heavily relying on the internet and/or spreadsheets do not take their computer care seriously. I would say that a good 60% of PC users out there do very little to no maintenance.

I apologize for giving you a BS tidbit like that, and I'm sure people reading this are either disagreeing or saying thank you captain obvious, which is fine. The only reason I am typing this post is because I have been installing either Advanced SystemCare, Glary, or CCleaner on these PCs and it's been improving the performance of these machines. There's just no debating that.

So reading these posts that are derisive in nature, and really just completely anti 3rd party cleaners in general is disappointing. I use them because the people that need them don't have the common knowledge to know that hey, I need to get rid of some of these old programs, and temporary internet files every once in a while. I always take the specific business I am helping and liken it to a problem in their industry. "Every once in a while you have to change the oil and grease the fittings so as your equipment ages it remains useful" or "if you don't clean your workspace before you start a new job, it's going to be soiled with all the remnants of the old job, so you have to get in there and clean the table saw, or wash your glass before another customer uses it," etc... And I really have found that if Glary or ASC or CC is present and in their line of site they are MORE apt to using it to clean. Thus they have less crap on the PC next time I show up. So it's more of a placebo effect, they feel better because they feel like their new program is helping them clean up when really they could have used the existing programs to achieve a similar result.

Am I way off track here? Because reading your posts and many like them on this site leads me to believe that I am actually harming their computer, when the eye test is telling me a completely different story. I came on here because I was thinking of purchasing one of the Pro versions, specifically Advanced system care, because the PC in our watchbox in the firehouse is constantly being used by up to 30 different people per week, and each time I go on it there is something different. A Bing search, a Swirlz toolbar, a Tango toolbar, etc... And it's just ignorance that keeps it going, they don't listen to you when you try and educate them on being more conscious of what you're doing to the machine. So before we get rid of it I figured I'd try using one of these tools. Because I know that once we get the new machine the old problems will slowly creep back into play, since the problem is obviously the 55 year old plumber that checks his email and browses Ebay for a bit every shift and not the actual computer itself.

IDK I am just trying to get an outside the box view on this stuff, and I hate to buy "snake oil" or actually harm the PC as many of you suggest. So please, let me know, is running a basic CNET downloaded program such as Glary that much of a waste of time that I shouldn't even consider using it? If nothing else than to get them to be more conscious of clearing caches and what not?

Collapse -
Many of these are good news for my friends in repair.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: OK Hear Me Out...

But let me lead by writing that none so far "harm" the computer. Yes it may cause the OS and apps to fail or glitch and even may fix a problem but the computer itself seems fine as we restore it to the factory load so that's proof enough for me that there is no harm.

As to the 30 people using said PC, it's a PC and some folk have lost sight of what PC meant. I guess we'll have to discuss that somewhere again until folk decide if they need to move to more controlled "terminals."
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.