Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Desktops

General discussion

Pentium 4 ram upgrade

by ndhelp001 / October 16, 2008 2:32 AM PDT

Hello,

I am interested in upgrading my Pentium 4 3.0ghz machine. It currently has 512mb ram and I would like to upgrade to at least a total of 1gb or ram. Think it has a 500mg hard drive if that's important.

The ram that is currently installed is as follows:

Samsung 450
K4H560838E-TCCC

and the tag on the memory has this on it:

D512mb
PC400
3x0510054.CD

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me what I need, as I don't know much about ram.

Thanks,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pentium 4 ram upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pentium 4 ram upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For the best advice...
by VAPCMD / October 16, 2008 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Pentium 4 ram upgrade

please be sure to include your PC info . . specifically the mfg, the series and exact model number. For example "HP Pavilion a1710r". If you have a generic clone PC...tell us the motherboard mfg name, model number and revision if available.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
visit crucial.com and let it scan your system
by ramarc / October 16, 2008 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Pentium 4 ram upgrade

it will you exactly what you options are.

Collapse -
ram
by ndhelp001 / October 16, 2008 12:29 PM PDT

crucial.com won"t do any virus or spyware will it? I'm not familiar with it.

Thank you

Collapse -
Memory
by Phil Crase / October 16, 2008 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: ram

Crucial.com is the way to go but it sounds like you have DDR3200 memory, readily available, inexpensive and worth going to 1gb for sure.

Collapse -
ram
by ndhelp001 / October 20, 2008 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Memory

is there a particular brand that is better, or can I purchase whatever I find the best deal on?

thanks

Collapse -
The problem is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2008 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: ram

Generic ram may or may not work. After helping hundreds sort out what ram is for their machine I found it too time consuming and turn to crucial.com since I'll get the right ram the first time.
Bob

Collapse -
How to
by young_asker22 / October 25, 2008 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: The problem is...

Upgrade my pentium 3 computer to pentium 4? What information do you need? And where can I find the information that you needed?

THanks
young_asker22

Collapse -
To go from P3 to P4
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2008 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: How to

You need a new motherboard, power supply, RAM, possibly a new video card and then modify the computer case to get the heat out.

Frankly, why not keep an eye on FREECYCLE and see if anyone is giving one away?
Bob

Collapse -
So how to.........................?
by young_asker22 / October 30, 2008 4:25 PM PDT
In reply to: To go from P3 to P4

SO how to Upgrade if I already have those requirements that you said?

Collapse -
Better to replace than simple upgrade
by Willy / October 31, 2008 12:35 AM PDT

A P3 is a system you should walk away from. Its too costly to upgrade and really you're not upgrading but replacing the system. In such cases you're better off starting with an old P4 system and go from there. The P3 is such a deadend that you really need to replace the mtrbd. to get into a P4 cpu, that alone may cost some bucks. A new system with all the goodies are being sold well under $400 or even less if you buy the "barebones" system thus you re-use your old kybd., monitor, etc. to finalize the system. Office Depot on sale had a system for $199, maybe some rebates but once done, $199, you can hardly beat that. Look on some online vendors like NewEgg, TigerDirect, Dell(refurbs) Geeks and check out pricing.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
can I......................
by young_asker22 / October 31, 2008 10:13 PM PDT

Can I know if the game that I am downloading is compatible with my computer? And what would happen if I accidentally downloaded a game which is not compatible with my computer?

Collapse -
Look at the game hardware requirements...no point
by VAPCMD / November 1, 2008 3:15 AM PDT

downloading any games your PC is not equipped to run. Every game lists the minimum requirements.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Those game(s)
by Willy / November 1, 2008 3:40 AM PDT

One of two things will happen, either the game won't allow you to play as you didn't meet the requirements. -OR- if the basic requirements got meant but still low, don't expect great play. To get any decent response, etc., you would have to reduce video demands, or level of action if so optional. Since, you didn't mention what game it pretty much depending on what a game requires and/or level of play. Any of the top selling games today are going to be demanding and unforgiving, so you have to meet or exceed requirements and further have a "well cooled" system case.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
can u..................?
by young_asker22 / November 3, 2008 4:39 PM PST
In reply to: Those game(s)

Give me some games that can be played in Pentium 3?If you know some.

Collapse -
Look at the old dos games.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 7:29 PM PST
Collapse -
Are you..................?
by young_asker22 / November 5, 2008 9:36 PM PST

Are you sure that those games do not contain viruses? Sorry, 'coz I am just newbie, I don't know if I am downloading a virus or not.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.