Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

PDF Files in Skydrive

by rowan.bradley / April 19, 2011 9:14 PM PDT

A few days ago I created a Skydrive folder so I could share some files I'm creating in a project with several other users. I wanted something which was secure, where each user could have different privilegves to see or to edit files, and which was easy for me and for the other users to use. Most of these files are PDFs, because I'm producing them wth a tool that costs quite a lot, and so far it's not justifiable for all the other users to buy the tool. It seemed a good solution to print the diagrams to PDF and share them like this. Today I was shocked to discover that viewing PDF files in a Skydrive folder is a total pain. Unlike in a normal web directory, where I can just click on a PDF file and it opens quickly in my browser using the Adobe Reader plugin, so I can immediately see the document, zoom in and out, search it for text, save it or print it, with Skydrive there seems to be no way to even see the document without explicitly downloading it first.

I guess the reason for this is that Microsoft think it's more imortant to conduct a war with Adobe than to provide services that are actually of some use to their customers.

Isthere any way of getting Skydrive to open PDF files in the users's browser if you just click, or double click them?

If this is "just the way it is", I will have to ditch Skydrive and use some other web based file sharing service which allows people to eaily open PDF files.

Thanks - Rowan

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PDF Files in Skydrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PDF Files in Skydrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like the old
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2011 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: PDF Files in Skydrive

"We know what's good for you."

Sorry I think when we use the free services we are buying into their ideas or kool aid.

Collapse -
Viewing PDF Files
by full-spec / January 4, 2012 5:54 PM PST

I know this post may be a little outdated but I've just noticed that Skydrive now allows viewing of PDFs in the native browser in PDF format without the need to download the file! But then again you probably already know that. If not, come back! You can't go wrong with 25GB!

Collapse -
by myangeldust / May 15, 2013 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Viewing PDF Files

SkyDrive stopped opening PDFs in Acrobat. Now it opens PDF using Word Web App. It's also slower at opening PDFs.

Collapse -
Same issue in 2014
by deliciousonions / January 12, 2014 9:22 PM PST

Hi, Rowan,
I know its 2 or 3 years since you wrote of this issue but it seems that it is still the case in 2014. Today I received pdf files via Gmail. I can open them no problem. I can not though save them as pdf files to my computer or to my Sky Drive. What I had to resort to was using Google Drive as my back up save area. It was perplexing why - no reason given. But yes it seems to be what you said about some issue between Microsoft and Adobe. Anyway I am appreciative of both Sky Drive and Google Drive even though Google Drive is the only one of these two that allows pdf transfer, upload and easy viewing. In all other ways both are very useful tools.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.