Computer Newbies forum

Question

PDF FILES

by msjim / July 12, 2013 12:18 PM PDT

When someone sends me PDF files I can open them but I am not able to edit them why? I have adobe reader but not adobe writer is this my problem?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PDF FILES
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PDF FILES
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
True.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: PDF FILES

That's the entire point of the PDF. So the author can maintain control of the article or document.

Nothing's broke here. If you need to edit the document, ask the author for the source.
Bob

Collapse -
PDF as electronic paper
by SimonMackay / October 10, 2013 8:05 PM PDT
In reply to: True.

The PDF file is essentially an "electronic printout" rather than an editable document. They come in either a rasterised format whcih is typical for "scan-to-PDF" output or as a metafile or vector format if an office program or graphics program can save or export to PDF. This latter situation is exploited by programs that convert from PDF to Word or edit PDF files. For that matter, these PDFs are used as masters for when you send documents to a print shop to be printed or publish to a Website as "download-to-print" material.

Some "scan-to-PDF" programs may implement an optical-character-recognition engine to create searchable text of that document in order to allow you to search for scanned documents on your computer or network.

Collapse -
Answer
The main reason
by Willy / July 13, 2013 9:15 AM PDT

Think of PDF = "protected document file" from the author and intended as shown not to be edited.

Also, don't confuse other PDF files such as forms or questionnaires that can be filled-in in the "blanks" which is the purpose.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
PDF Files
by msjim / July 14, 2013 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: The main reason

The sender sent the PDF File to me with the purpose of proof reading and then editing the file before sending it on. What do we need then to edit or change the files on our computer?

Collapse -
No change really. Just have them send the source.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2013 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: PDF Files

For example I have my original in Word and save it as PDF when sending it over for proof reading. You can try Adobe's markup tools and see if that's what they want.

For when the markup tools fail I just make a change list. EXAMPLE:

1. Page 32, paragraph 2 should give credit to Caesar and not Torquemada.
2. Page 192, the entire passage is a re-write of the prior chapter. Delete?

And so on.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
There are software programs that will do this for you
by The ancient one / August 11, 2013 10:01 AM PDT

If your do a lot of PDF work, then I suggest you buy software that will allow you to do this. I currently use Nuance PDF Converter Professional 7. There is a newer version out (8) but it will double your costs. #7 will cost about $50.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.