Phones forum

General discussion

PDA vs Pocket PC

by jfitzge981 / February 27, 2006 4:48 AM PST

Hello Smart People
I have a simple question, I think. What is the difference between a PDA and a Pocket PC? I currently have a Palm Zire 72 and I hate it. I do not find it user friendly and the whole environment of this PDA is uncomfortable to me. What would a pocket PC give me that a PDA doesn't? Do pocket PC's operate like a regular PC running windows? This might seem like a question that everybody knows (except for me) but before I invest some more money I would rather ask. I would sincerely appreciate anybody who could share some thoughts about this subject.
Thanks
John

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PDA vs Pocket PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PDA vs Pocket PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have yet to find a PDA that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: PDA vs Pocket PC

Runs Windows like on a desktop. The form and function is unlike the desktop.

Maybe you are looking for one of these -> http://www.oqo.com/

"Do pocket PC's operate like a regular PC running windows?"

None of mine do.

Bob

Collapse -
IPAQ-hw6515e-S/N:TWC5440NDK.
by roameri / March 19, 2006 12:01 PM PST

IPAQ-hw6515e-S/N:TWC5440NDK.

H.P. and prior to that Compaq have the most third class support service. I spoke to them and my following email tells it all. They have a Board for I-PAQs but the Moderator did not bother to reply.
Could you, advice on my technical points ?
Thanks.

>>March 2, 2006,
To: Mr. Tanuj:
Thanks for your cooperation on my call to you. Below are details:
The Serial No. of the IPAQ is > IPAQ-hw6515e-S/N:TWC5440NDK. <.
Purchased on 01/01/2006 from Mumbai retailer, ? Chips & Bytes ?.
It has been purchased as a Pocket PC and not as a Mobile Phone.
Intention was to use MS OUTLOOK, WORD & EXCEL with the data which is on my desk PC.
I surf, upload and dwnload from the Net and send emails & faxes from my desk PC on a dial-up 56K modem on the PSTN.
I want to do the same with the IPAQ. I do not want to use GPRS as it is too expensive and none of the mobile phone services are reliable.
Since the IPAQ has ? Bluetooth ? enabled, I am prepared to buy an external dial-up 56K modem for the PSTN line which has a ? Bluetooth ? I/F. Which modem would you suggest ?
Can you also confirm that once I am connected thru the said modem to the NET , I can surf etc. with IE .
If the above (8) is possible I guess I can send emails with OUTLOOK.
However, to send faxes do you have a program or an add-in ?
Thanks,
Pervez J. Mehta,
91-22-22851003 ; 2675560.<<

Collapse -
Hey John...
by John.Wilkinson / February 27, 2006 5:17 AM PST

PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) is a general term used to describe Palms (devices that run the Palm OS), PocketPCs (devices that run the WindowsMobile OS), and more. Thus, a PocketPC is a type of PDA. As such, there is nothing that a PocketPC can give you that a PDA cannot.

PocketPCs run WindowsMobile, not Windows. There is a HUGE difference here. Windows Mobile is similar to Windows, and functions similarly, but is much more limited. In addition, programs that run on Windows do NOT run on PocketPCs, and vice versa. Some programs, such as Quicken, have Windows and WindowsMobile versions, but the WindowsMobile/PocketPC version is much less advanced and the two cannot be interchanged. (Though you can sync data between the two.)

Basically, a PocketPC is much like a Palm, in that they both have the same capabilities and limitations. The differences are that the PocketPCs feel more like Windows and run seperate software. (If you purchased or downloaded software for your Palm, it will NOT work with any PocketPC. You would have to find/purchase new software for it.)

What I recommend is going to an electronics store like BestBuy, CircuitCity, etc and giving a PocketPC a try. (Check out the display models from companies such as HP.) That is the best way to find out if the PDA is for you. If you have any questions about software availability or functionality, feel free to ask.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Exaclty what I wanted.
by jfitzge981 / February 27, 2006 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: Hey John...

See I knew there were smart people here!
You answered my question about PDA's Vs pocket PC's as thoroughly as I could hope for. Your answer was close to what I thought but you tied up the loose ends. I am going to go with the windows based system and I will go to best buy to check them out first. I see people with palm PDA's all the time but I really do no like the environment that it runs in.
I really do appreciate your help and for getting back to me so soon.
Be Well
John

Collapse -
hi john
by olotu / November 15, 2009 2:53 PM PST
In reply to: Hey John...

hope ur ok. am the student at the INSITITUTE OF ACCOUNTANCY ARUSHA(in TANZANIA),Taking computer science.Can you give me the real differences between PDAs,POCKET PC,AND CELL PHONES.HOPE you will reply me via <nelsonolotu@gmail.com>.have a good time

Collapse -
In short...
by John.Wilkinson / November 23, 2009 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: hi john

PDA: Personal digital assistant. Mobile device that runs various software and has built-in contact, appointment, To Do list, etc management.

Cell phone: Standard mobile phone.

PocketPC: A PDA running WindowsMobile.

Smartphone: A combination of a PDA and a cell phone.

John

Collapse -
feture impact of IT on society
by olotu / December 14, 2009 6:48 PM PST
In reply to: In short...

What are the positive and negative feture impact of INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY on the society>?

Collapse -
by ackmondual / March 10, 2006 6:36 AM PST

It's important to understand that a PPC *is* a type of PDA just like how Palm is also a type of PDA

That being said, PPC has a somewhat close feel in interface to windows for desktops and laptops. However, yeah, u won't be able to use any PC apps on your PPC. You'll have to find equivalencies if they exist, and if they do, it'll likely be much more limited.

Otherwise, PPCs have the following advantages over Palm (not a complete list):
-better networking. Palm can do networking, but PPC can do it better w/o any 3rd party add-ons
-higher quality looking of games
-more PC ports due to PPC and PC similarities in architecture
-it's easier to dev for PPCs, so you'll likely see some apps here not available there or better here.
-better hardware. The OS needs it, but it's also there.

Collapse -
I went with the HP Ipaq
by jfitzge981 / March 16, 2006 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: reply

I put my Palm away and went with a new Ipaq and so far I like it a whole lot better. I just never really felt comfortable with the Palm. I have had several and I know people that love them but I guess I am not one of them. I know that an Ipaq is not the same as a desk top computer but I think it is a closer relative than a Palm.
Thank you for your help.
John

Collapse -
PDA vs Pocket PC
by roameri / March 17, 2006 9:01 PM PST

Better get a Notebook. I have an IPAQ hw6515 and it claims all the OFFICE software. But its like running with your legs tied up. Handhelds, PDAs are just gadgets and are not for serious work.
Regards,
j.

Collapse -
I've got the notebook
by jfitzge981 / March 19, 2006 12:40 AM PST

Hey
I appreciate your feedback. But I have the desktop, I have 2 laptops and now a pocket top. OK well it isn't a pocket top, it is a pocket PC. They all serve there purpose as they are intended to do and I think they do it well. I do not expect my Ipaq to perform like a laptop, I want it to perform like something that fits in my pocket and is lite enough that I hardly notice it. They are great for jotting down messages, making appointments, etc., etc.
I have a cell phone that does all that also but it isn't practical to input a lot of stuff into it on the fly.
I believe that one day sometime in the future we will have once device to do it all. I see it as a small device about the size of a PDA but with the power of a dual core 128 bit chip and run speeds that there will have new names for. All the information will be input anyway you like but most will be through a wireless head set and totally voice activated.
More to follow when I have more time.
Be Well
John

Collapse -
the real pocket pc at last
by Qosmio / March 30, 2006 3:45 AM PST

big price tag and does everything.Phone/windows xp/Wm 05 all in one.it,s on my shopping list
http://dualcor.com/

Collapse -
The real pocket pc at last.
by roameri / March 30, 2006 11:06 AM PST

What is the " big price tag "? If its real big, then its better to have a Notebook and a Cellphone.
j.

Collapse -
the real pocket pc
by jfitzge981 / March 31, 2006 4:18 AM PST

Hey
I think your right, that is some-thing that many people would love to have. What I saw looked great, but how much does this cost?
Thanks
John

Collapse -
the real pocket pc $
by Qosmio / April 2, 2006 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: the real pocket pc

1500.00 dollor price tag.what i love about this device release is that it,s all in one giveing wm05 and xp in one small package with great speed as well the 40gb of space.with the usb connections you can plug a monitor and keyboard for office use inturn giving the most powerfull all in one tool on the market today
PDA/Phone/PC thats Dualcor

Collapse -
That is a hefty price...
by jfitzge981 / April 2, 2006 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: the real pocket pc $

Hey
That is a mean looking price, but I will wait until the price drops. I have to as I am on a tech toy break. I think I have all the gadets I can aford right now, now I need to pay for them. I went on a gadet binge about a year ago and I am just now finished. I think that it might be a sickness, but I love my gadets so. I have envisioned for a long time a PC system that would operate like a ipod where you could take the base unit and connect at home, then take it out when you go out, plug it into your dashboard socket and there it is. See Ya

Collapse -
very hefty
by Qosmio / April 3, 2006 7:04 AM PDT

your right jfitzge981 that is a hefty price but im hooked on the new teck toys hahahaha.

Collapse -
Re.: Hefty price
by stevemilleresq / April 7, 2006 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: very hefty

Considering that a HP Ipaq 4705 retails for about $650.00 USD, $1,500.00 isn't such a stretch given the feature set this thing has.

Collapse -
Hefty price
by Qosmio / April 8, 2006 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re.: Hefty price

I look at it this way.
Cell phone-300.00 bucs
PDA- 400.00 bucs
pc- 800.00 bucs
working together all in one on my belt clip
priceless

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) If it cost more i would still buy it
by Qosmio / April 8, 2006 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Hefty price
Collapse -
Why not...
by Tien-Avenger / April 19, 2006 6:26 PM PDT

...make it an inch thicker and include a slide out QWERTY keyboard?

wow that would totally suck if you dropped it and it completely shatters into a bazillion peices. wow imagine that

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It would be a nightmare
by Qosmio / April 20, 2006 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Why not...
Collapse -
Back to the ultimate pocket pc
by jfitzge981 / April 20, 2006 11:17 AM PDT

Hello - I would like to throw another two cents back in. I still go with the ultimate pocket PC even though the price will be huge to begin with. But one piece of equipment that I can carry around in my pocket or strapped to my belt, then plugged into my trucks dash board (or will we call them ports)? Then when I get home I plug it back in to it's home base, who could ask for more.
Be Well
John

Collapse -
Still dont get...
by Tien-Avenger / April 23, 2006 10:10 AM PDT

why you wouldnt prefer getting a laptop or tablet PC.

it's only a few (hundred) bucks more and there's more third market accessories avilable for it. And it's faster, and parts swapable depending on model and if it's going to cost the price of a laptop just get a laptop

Collapse -
I hope they make one without the cell phone
by sphelps66 / April 23, 2006 1:18 AM PDT

I would like to keep the phone separate.

Collapse -
Absolutely
by jfitzge981 / April 23, 2006 4:46 AM PDT

Hello
I couldn't agree more. I would like to keep my cell phone separate, because at times I lend it out. Also I take my cell phone everywhere but I have no need to keep a computer at my side at all times.
Be Well,
John

Collapse -
great
by d_blitz13 / December 22, 2006 1:43 AM PST

Man, what a great device... I have been searching everywere for something that combines devices such as an Archos (Media/Music player) and PDA/UMPC functions... I think that device may have just gotten us started.

To bad everything great is in Korea for two years before America catches up.

Can you maybe point me in the direction of other devices like the one you mentioned above?

Collapse -
Stay away from HP pocket PC
by rgglover / April 5, 2006 7:45 AM PDT

My motherboard failed while downloading a software upgrade from HPs website. They want to charge $150 to fix a year and a half old pocket pc that failed while downloading their software. I am still trying to resolve after 2 months. Their customer service used to be great - now it is scary.

Collapse -
Seems about right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2006 8:44 AM PDT

Given today's cost of tech time, that number is about average on all such products. PalmOne and others charge about the same.

Bob

Collapse -
Stay away from HP pocket PC
by roameri / April 5, 2006 1:34 PM PDT

Dear dsdawson2:
1. Which model do you have ?
2. We stay at Mumbai, India.
3. We have a 6515 and when I got the H.P. joker on their ' so-called ' help-line they knew nix about the product. It was like getting the impression that the joker thought that I was a fool to buy his own 6515.
Compaq was bad enough and now H.P. with it is h*ll.
j.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.