Phones forum

General discussion

pda vs ereader

by ericsename / April 11, 2009 4:06 AM PDT

do pda's make good ereaders i was thinking of buying a kindle but thats alot of money for a one trick pony

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pda vs ereader
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pda vs ereader
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would say no...
by John.Wilkinson / April 11, 2009 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: pda vs ereader

Unless you find a 3.5" (or smaller) display to be generous, and like to scroll every few words, a PDA only functions as an 'emergency' ereader.

John

Collapse -
PDA vs e reader
by Darspage / June 7, 2010 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I would say no...

I love my PDA because it has calendar. It also has WiFi and color and it haven't noticed a small screen. The ereaders only have one function, and I like several functions along with music and ability to make appointments on the same device, with no phone or contracts on it. I've had one for years and am still waiting for e reader with calendar for appointments on it along with everything else.

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2009 6:42 AM PDT

If you have not seen the Kindle you would not know what you are missing. Find one. The display is unbelievable.

Collapse -
blackberry bold works pretty well
by annashoop11 / May 18, 2009 4:50 AM PDT

I read ebooks on my Blackberry Bold and I really like it. I thought it would be a problem because the screen is obviously a lot smaller than the Kindle, but it's fine because you don't actually scroll, but rather just turn the page. I've borrowed my buddy's kindle to compare, and find that it's much preferable to not have to carry the Kindle around with me when I can just have it all on my cell phone.

I use the eReader program which reads books in a .pdb format. It's super easy to purchase and download books from the eReader site. Every once in a while there is a downloading error which is corrected once I retry.

The only real problems I've had with it is trying to read .pdb ebooks that were NOT purchased through eReader or Fictionwise, because of an issue with unlock codes.

Collapse -
Very Casual Only
by WildClay / June 8, 2010 7:16 AM PDT

PDA's and Phones IMHO are horrible readers, if you have a blackberry just look at the different in reading what appears to be a long email off your BB and then from say Outlook, wow, that was only 2 small paragraphs, looked like a tome on the BB.

Take a real look at the Kindle, it may be a one trick pony, but that pony really does a nice job, very easy to read even a large book, something I wouold not even dream of on my PDA or phone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.