PC Hardware

General discussion

PCI Express x1 card in a PCI Express x16 slot?

by broncojim / May 1, 2008 11:12 PM PDT

Can I do this? I have two cards, both PCI express x1. I have two slots on my motherboard [1] PCIEx1 and [1] PCIEx16. Will the PCIEx16 support a PCIEx1 card?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PCI Express x1 card in a PCI Express x16 slot?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PCI Express x1 card in a PCI Express x16 slot?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) yes
by ramarc / May 1, 2008 11:31 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yes (Usually)
by climber109 / May 2, 2008 10:44 PM PDT

Yes, you should be able to put a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot.

Collapse -
(NT) Express type card -YES
by Willy / May 3, 2008 1:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
PCIexpress
by dfrandin / May 3, 2008 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Express type card -YES

A caveat on some PCexpress slots.. namely Dells.. The PCIe x16 slot in Dell's GX280, GX620 systems do not support any other PCIe cards (such as RAID controllers, SCSI controllers) besides video cards. Apparently they got some static about that, because the next model after the GX620, the 745, now supports at least RAID controllers.. I went thru this a few months ago, and found that nowhere in the svc manual for the system does it mention that little tidbit of info. Finally called Dell and the tech admitted that was the case...

Collapse -
PCI Express x1 card in a PCI Express x16 slot?
by khenumm / May 5, 2008 12:51 PM PDT

Yes, you can put a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot.

The PCI Express link is built around pairs of serial (1-bit), unidirectional point-to-point connections known as "lanes". This is in sharp contrast to the PCI standard which is a bus-based system in which all the devices share the same bidirectional, 32-bit (or 64-bit), parallel signal path.

The number of lanes actually connected to a slot may also be less than the number supported by the physical slot size. An example is a x8 slot that actually only runs at x1; these slots will allow any x1, x2, x4 or x8 card to be used, though only running at the x1 speed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.