PC Hardware forum

Resolved Question

pci express slot? why is nothing simple?

by hondochica / January 6, 2013 9:46 AM PST

Greetings;

I recently purchased a refurbished lenovo thinkcentre M55e; I wanted to upgrade the graphics card to a card w/ an HDMI port. Bought a XFX1 recommended elsewhere on these forums.

BUT: What I 'think' is the pci express slot is not configured for the card - it looks like a pci express slot! - (see photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/91939719@N07/8356118230/in/photostream): the separator is in the wrong place and it almost looks like the card is too big. Also, if I could install the card; the ports would be 'inside' the box - not sticking out the expansion slot - the pci express slot is 'upside down'?

OK - everyone laugh now!! what have I missed? Wink

Ran cpuid for specs: here's what it said - let me know if you need more:

MB: Lenovo LENOVO (0x000001D3 - 0x0061A5E0)
Chipset
Northbridge Intel 946PL/GZ rev. C1
Southbridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev. A1
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 2048 MBytes

PCI capability (is this the right data? this looks like I do not have a pci express slot? it says 'physical slot #0 ?? if not - what did I photograph! I'm sooo lost!)
Caps class PCI Express
Caps offset 0xA0
Device type Root Port of PCI-E Root Complex
Port 2
Version 1.0
Physical slot #0
Presence detect no
Link width 0x (max 16x)

Thanks in advance

Kelly

hondochica has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pci express slot? why is nothing simple?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pci express slot? why is nothing simple?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Can you reveal what the goal is?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2013 10:11 AM PST

It's a slim line case so it's not for gaming cards.

Tell more.
Bob

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by hondochica

Collapse -
update: . .
by hondochica / January 6, 2013 10:05 AM PST

according to those from another forum - I have a 'slime line' model . . and no pci express slot!

thanks anyway . .

btw: I posted a photo of the mother board on flicker as well - you'll see it at the other link. the pci slot - whatever that is - is on a riser on the side of the board.

kelly

Collapse -
(NT) Looks like a PCI slot off a riser.
by VAPCMD / January 6, 2013 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: update: . .
Collapse -
yup! it's a pci slot off a riser
by hondochica / January 6, 2013 11:02 AM PST

has no pci-e slot;

so . . now I have to decide - should I send it back and start over?

Or can I buy/use a pci card w/ hdmi port just to watch movies/tv via internet/dvds?? That's all this computer is intended for!

thanks

kelly

Collapse -
More info needed....
by VAPCMD / January 6, 2013 11:29 AM PST
Collapse -
update:
by hondochica / January 6, 2013 12:50 PM PST
In reply to: More info needed....

there are now 3 photos posted on flickr.com: http://www.flickr.com/photos/91939719@N07/ ( I hope that link works for the public!)

That's the best shot of the MB you're gonna get! it's a slim line desktop; I ran cpuid and got these specs:

Mainboard model: LENOVO (0x000001D3 - 0x0061A5E0)

Chipset
Northbridge Intel 946PL/GZ rev. C1
Southbridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev. A1
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 2048 MBytes

I also posted a picture of that riser card on flickr; you can see (in the top left photo) that pci slot - kinda blurred, but below it, you can see that the riser only accepts a pci-e 1x. kinda stuck there.

I'm told I can get a pci card w/ hdmi port (output) - will that sufficient to watch internet TV and dvds I don't want to do much with this POC!

your suggestions at this point?

thanks so much

kelly

Collapse -
If you're sure all you need is a PCI GPU with a
by VAPCMD / January 7, 2013 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: update:

DVI, VGA and HDMI output....here's one that might fit your requirement. Plain PCI GPUs with HDMI output aren't abundant and most are more expensive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187194 $54.95

Note: I have not done what you're trying to do (Internet TV) so by all means please double check to see that the card suggested fits the bill. It's low profile too which means it should mount easily in your PC without blocking much airflow. (It's low profile but because it's mounted parallel to the MB the card height doesn't matter as much...it just won't block airflow as much)

Learn more about the Sparkle Computer 700011

Brand SPARKLE

Model 700011

Form Factor Low Profile

Interface PCI

Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA

GPU GeForce 210

Core Clock 520MHz

Effective Memory Clock 1000MHz

Memory Size 512MB

Memory Interface 64-bit

Ports 1 x HDMI

D-SUB 1 x D-SUB

DVI 1 x DVI

Card Dimensions 7.68" X 5.12" X 1.69"

Features 0.47 lbs.

Let us know how it turns out.

Collapse -
thanks
by hondochica / January 7, 2013 6:08 AM PST
Collapse -
Sounds like it's getting more complicated.
by VAPCMD / January 7, 2013 9:02 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

If you really need to get a more robust PSU too....then you'll need to get the measurements of the existing PSU so you can make sure the one you get fits the case.

Re the Sparkle or the Zotac...really really hard to believe either of those cards in your system would come anywhere close to 300W.

Did you consider getting a new PC ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
a new pc . . . yeah . . wellllll . .
by hondochica / January 7, 2013 9:48 AM PST

Hi VAPCMD

Yes it is getting far more complicated than I had ever anticipated - here's the short story

I do not own a TV (well - didn't - I do now . . ) and had my main computer in the living room where I would watch "tv" via internet, & movies at my leisure on my pc. Needed to move my computer to my office; needed a way to watch tv/movies (via internet: netflix, and main stations) in the living room. Also wanted to create a digital music library and put away the cds. Sooooo. Decided the easiest way to do both was to buy an inexpensive computer - upgrade (if necessary) the video card with hdmi (couldn't find a decent tv with vga), buy a decent TV and hook up everything; including the pc to my stereo for music. So I went to Tigerdirect and bought a refurbished Lenovo M55e for $100; never in a million years would I have expected that even a refurbished computer - in 2012 - would not have a pci-express slot! Boy was I surprised! So, due to problems in getting the pc; shipping delays, more delays - TigerDirect will not take back the pc. So I'm trying to make due and cut my losses.

So here I am . . . Stuck with this dinosaur of a MB in the 'new' pc. not willing to throw away $100 - yet! All I want to do is watch internet TV and DVDs. Why is nothing simple anymore?

RE: PSU and new graphics card: the specs for the card say min. 300w. Don't know enough about computers to know if I could get by w/ existing PSU - hence - looking for help!

Thanks for yours . . help that is!

btw: I have an old desktop in the garage I never recycled. Might just pull that out and see what it's got. I know it doesn't have an HD - but maybe I could pull the one from my 'new' pc. I think the garage pc ran Win 2000 at the least - maybe Win XP

Kelly

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.