Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC will not recognize compact flash in card slot - Help!!

by Nich1668 / February 21, 2009 10:21 AM PST

I have a new HP PC (less than 1 yr old) which runs on Vista. It has the front card slots to insert compact flash and other media cards. It has been running fine all along and all I have to do is insert the card and I can view or import the photos to my PC. Recently, not sure how, the computer will not recognize the inserted cards as photo cards and when I tried to open it, it will ask me to format the drive before use. I did not click yes fearing it will erase all my photos in the compact flash card. I can view the compact flash in the camera with all my photos intact but once inserted in the PC, it will not work. Tried other media cards (from cell phone), same thing. I can see all the pictures in my cell phone but cannot view or import them to my PC using the card slot. Any suggestions? Is that a setting that I've accidently changed on my PC?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC will not recognize compact flash in card slot - Help!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC will not recognize compact flash in card slot - Help!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try a new item.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2009 10:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Media Slot still not working properly
by Nich1668 / February 22, 2009 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Try a new item.

Tried installing the Autorun software as suggested but didn't work. The media card slot on the PC will not read the compact flash or any other photo media card as photo card and only treat it as a drive and ask the user to format the disk before use. I can use a USB cable to connect the camera to the PC and that works. I can import photos this way. It's only the built in media card slot on the PC that does not recognize the inserted card as photo media cards. Any suggestions welcome!!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2009 4:23 AM PST

Details matter here. Many of the PCs out there can't handle SD, CF media over 512MB. Many owners find out about this later...

Collapse -
Media card slot reader problem
by Nich1668 / February 22, 2009 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: HOW BIG?

The Compact flash card I'm using is 2 Gig. It has been working fine on my PC up till a day ago and befor, all I ever need to do is to insert the card into the CF slot on my PC (HP Pavilion Elite m9250f) and the autorun menu will pop up and ask if I want to import or view the photos on my card etc.. Since yesterday, no menu pops up anymore after I insert the card (although the slot light still comes on indicating it's working etc.). When I tried to open up the card using windows explore, it shows as a external drive ('G' for example) and will ask me if I want to format the drive before use. I usually stop here since I don't want format the drive fearing it will erase everthing on the CF disk. I tried inserting my cell phone media card in the other slot on the built in reader of my PC (SD memory stick) and same thing happens, will not recognize as a photo card and if I open it up with window, it will ask whether I want to format the drive etc.. Before this problem occur, all I ever needed to do to view or import photos from my camera or cell phone is to insert the card and click on the view or import selection on the pop up menu. Please help...

Collapse -
Next time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2009 6:09 AM PST

These do need an occasional formatting.

Next time you have all your files off the media, format that card in the camera.

Collapse -
How to Format Disk in Camera?
by Nich1668 / February 23, 2009 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: Next time.

If the CF disk works fine in the camera and only will not work when inserted in the card reader of the PC, should I still follow the PC instructions to format it once inserted? I'm thinkin it's more of the card reader problem rather than the disk itself so I'm not sure if formatting the disk will correct the problem or not. Anybody had similar experience before?

Collapse -
RE: How to Format Disk in Camera?
by rifeg2 / February 23, 2009 3:16 AM PST

I had this issue as well. You have a few options.

1. find the driver specfic to your card reader and reinstall.

2. find the packaging software that will actually reconize the card (kind of like the flash software on a usb stick.)

3. throw away card reader and use this -

If you are bound and determined to get your gear to work pul it out get the data off it and google for customer support.

Collapse -
15 in 1 card reader problem
by Nich1668 / February 23, 2009 3:46 AM PST

Thanks for the suggestions.
Considering my PC is kinda new and all components came with HP original package, I really want to get it running again properly. I only had this problem started 2 days ago so I'm hoping it's just some software problem that is causing it to malfunction.

Where can I download the driver software for the 15 in 1 card reader. I tried searching it on the HP website but cannot locate it.

Also, if I do a system restore, will this work?

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2009 6:12 AM PST

This issue comes up in our Digital Camera forum every few months.

Try our Digital Camera forum and ask if one would ever consider an occasional format in the camera.

Of course some forgo this advice and learn more than they every wanted to about recovery of pictures which we could have avoided.

Good luck,

Collapse -
Big Thank You
by Bonnie-Kay / April 1, 2013 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know.

Thank you Bob. I don't know what I would do without all the generous help that is on these forums. I knew it wasn't the drive because it effected both PCs and was worried that the card was somehow corrupted and caused harm. Thanks again and I feel so much better now. I put the card in my camera and reformatted it. Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for the kind words.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2013 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Big Thank You

And a second thanks for reminding me of this advice.

Collapse -
Date perhaps?
by YanielO / February 12, 2012 8:46 AM PST

I had the exact same problem, nothing worked, but the i got tired of my camera asking to input a date for it, and when I finnally did the pc recognized the CF card...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.