PC Hardware forum

Question

PC Will not Power On

by wlogatto / May 3, 2013 1:23 PM PDT

I have an Alienware Area-51 PC I got in 2011.

About 4 months ago, I did a Shutdown. When it was off, I pressed the power button and it did not turn on.

You can hear a 'click' as if it was attempting to turn on.

If you press and hold the power button for 8-10 secs, you will hear another 'click' as if it were force shutdown.

I used to be able to remedy this by unplugging the AC power from the wall for 3-5 mins and then re-connecting it and it would turn on normally.

ALSO note that if I EVER selected RESTART it would reboot with NO ISSUE.

Only SHUTDOWN gave me an issue, even SLEEP was fine.

Tonight, 5/3/2013, I was not able to turn on my PC no matter what I tried.

I unplugged AC power for 5-10 mins and re-connected and it would not turn on.

I disconnected each device one at a time with the power out and then connected power and tried to turn it on and it would not, up to the point where all I had connected was AC power.

Inside the LED light is light up on the small sub-board between the PS and the MOBO as well as the LED on the mobo, as well as the case lights, so I do NOT believe it is the PS.

This process took me about an hour an a half.. so I finally called Dell tech support.

When I spoke with someone they promptly informed me my Warranty was expried.

After explaining the problem he believed it was a motherboard issue, but to replace it without a warranty is $800 which I do not have. I am 23 yrs old with no credit cards. I bought it for $3600 which I gave to my dad in cash and then he put it on his CC.

Dell would not approve me for a Dell preferred account either and he told me there was nothing he could do.

I am at a loss of what to do.

Can I buy a new Mobo through newegg, ect. and swap it out with no Issues??

Would I need to reformat my HDD's?

Also it has Water cooling, so I don't know if that has any factor in choosing a replacement MOBO.

I know I need triple socket ram and the right CPU socket.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Will not Power On
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Will not Power On
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Specs
by wlogatto / May 3, 2013 6:12 PM PDT
In reply to: PC Will not Power On

CPU - intel i7 970 LGA1366
RAM - 12gb triple channel
GPU - 2 x nVidia GTX 460

I was looking at boards such as
ASUS-SABERTOOTH-X58

Or

NEW OEM Intel DX58OG INTEL X58 SOCKET LGA 1366 ATX Motherboard

But that was only minimal searching I haven't taken time yet to look at anything else

Collapse -
Answer
Have you tested the PSU ?
by VAPCMD / May 3, 2013 11:53 PM PDT

Did you try it after removing one GPU ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
Nod to the motherboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2013 1:41 AM PDT

As one of the office computers had the same symptom and eventually the board died altogether I agree with the diagnosis. You can try a power up with a lot less parts as well as the PSU GREEN WIRE TEST if you own a Volt meter but given the symptom and we've seen it before, I have to agree but would add more testing.

As to the format of the HDD, you may have to install the OS again but that's not "formatting." If you have no backups I think you must get a new HDD to hold the OS and add the old drives as second drives to get at your files.
Bob

Collapse -
Not fully tested
by wlogatto / May 4, 2013 2:15 AM PDT

I have not had the time to test the PS or try it without one or both GPU's.

That is my next task I will try to do later on today, thanks for the replies.

Collapse -
GPU
by wlogatto / May 4, 2013 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Not fully tested

After taking out both GPU's it turned on.

I shut it down and put one back and it turned on again.

After adding the 2nd back, it did not turn back on.

I proceeded to remove both again, but now it won't turn on with no GPU.

Is that pointing to the power supply? Is my PC trying to pull too much power?

Collapse -
Update
by wlogatto / May 4, 2013 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: GPU

Also I connected the keyboard and mouse, 1display and 1gpu and after holding the power button for 30 secs I plugged it in and it turned on!

It asked me if I wanted to check my bios settings and then I saved and exited and it shut off and then again would not come back on.

This was after I had the psu disconnected for several hours..

So now I unplugged the psu and ill wait another extended period of time and see if it will come on again.

Collapse -
(NT) Ok....good to hear. Keep trying it with the one GPU.
by VAPCMD / May 4, 2013 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Update
Collapse -
Can you take the PSU anywhere to get it tested ?
by VAPCMD / May 4, 2013 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: GPU

The problem is a new MB is around $200+/- and a good PSU to support the 2 GPUs is going to be the about the same.

Can you tell if the water cooling block is firmly attached to the CPU ??

VAPCMD

Collapse -
PSU
by wlogatto / May 5, 2013 1:34 AM PDT

Yea it is firmly on there.

So I seem to have narrowed it down. I left it unplugged for a few hours and it turned on once, and then said no OS detected and so I had to turn it back off but it would not come on again. So I ordered a replacement PSU for $50. It's so cheap that the quality can't be that great so I'm leaning toward the PSU being bad at this point.

Thanks for the replies, I will update when I get the new PSU

Collapse -
What PSU did you get ? What PSU is in the system ?
by VAPCMD / May 5, 2013 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: PSU

It looks as though your system came with an 1100W PSU (??) and it seems unlikely that a $50 PSU would be sufficient to reliably support one 460 GTX never mind 2 460 GTXs.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
PSU
by wlogatto / May 5, 2013 4:22 AM PDT

The PSU is Dell U662D HP-s1k03a001 1000w

I got an exact replacement on eBay for $50, it just is that cheap, def not the best quality, but that just backs up the theory that it may jus be a psu issue.

Collapse -
Looks like a good find .... let us know how it
by VAPCMD / May 5, 2013 7:04 AM PDT

works.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
NEW PSU Fixed the Issue
by wlogatto / May 11, 2013 5:44 AM PDT

I received the New PSU yesterday.

After hooking it up, it turned on, I was able to change my BIOS settings to recognize my RAID setup, and then it rebooted fine!

I have been able to fully turn it on and everything seems to be working.

I have powered it on and off a dozen times at least so I am pretty satisfied.

And for $50 I may just buy another one to have just incase.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Collapse -
Good to hear it's fixed and Thanks for the feedback
by VAPCMD / May 11, 2013 8:52 AM PDT

Re the spare PSU, if you can afford it ... having a spare(s) is a decent idea. Since I build and repair my own generic PCs ... I try to buy quality spares when they're on sale.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.