Ive already posted the original problem i had-
"'System Fix' VIRUS infected my HP desktop"
Long story short-
I cant even open my Windows now
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root="">\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file"
-is what i get.
I cant even run my RECOVERY CD to reformat.
I get the above mentioned statement on the PC screen.
If this is fixable here at home,,could someone please explain it to me "as if i were 6 years old" so I cant get this fixed?
(Grif has been a big help for me here,,so i hope to hear from him soon as well) </windows>

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC was infected cant use the recovery CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC was infected cant use the recovery CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
correction
by baydaver / December 4, 2012 1:46 AM PST

If this is fixable here at home,,
could someone please explain it to me "as if i were 6 years old" so I CAN get this fixed?

Collapse -
Few 6 year olds can fix this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: correction

If this was a 6 year old, then they ask others to do the fixing. That is a shop counter.

There is something worth explaining about old gear. For example as the CD drive gets old it may not be able to boot the recovery media. This means that your 6 year old would also have to find a shop to swap in a new drive.

Could be many reasons for this failure but no 6 year old I know could follow the directions to fix this.
Bob

Collapse -
Have You Tried BOOTING From The Recovery Disc?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: correction

If the computer was badly infected, it may be necessary to boot from the Recovery disc . Place the disc in your DVD/CD drive, then turn off the computer, then turn it back on again.. As long as the BIOS settings are default, then the computer should boot from the Recovery disc, which should then give you the options to format the hard drive and reinstall everything back to it's factory condition.

If you can't boot from the Recovery disc, then either the DVD/CD drive is bad, or the BIOS boot-order settings need to be changed so the machine will boot from the CD first.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I have tried doing that
by baydaver / December 4, 2012 11:24 AM PST

Now there very well may be a problem with the 'DVD-ROM' drive but I could also use the 'CD-WRITER' driver couldn't I?
At any rate ,Ive tried rebooting/restarting in both drives,,and in both cases all i get is the-

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root="">\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file"

Grif you said that the BIOS boot-order settings may need to be changed so the machine will boot from the CD first. This is where id need it explained to me as if i were '6 years old'
(maybe 10 years old ,right Bob?)
How would I change the boot settings at this point?

Collapse -
If that error message is still popping up
by lacsr / December 4, 2012 8:55 PM PST

Then when the PC is trying to boot, the first screen that shows should be the blue HP Invent logo. On that screen and along the bottom, there will be an indication of what key to press to enter the "setup menu" or "boot order" or "Enter the BIOS". Depending on just how old the HP is, the keys will vary but typically F1, F3, or F10. Some of the older ones may use "Esc" Once in, change the boot order to CD/DVD drive as first try for boot.

Collapse -
Yep, That Error Indicates It's Not Booting From the CD
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 3:19 AM PST

So, either you're forgetting to "Press any Key" when it asks at boot up of the CD, or you haven't followed the boot-order setup per "lacsr" instructions above.

Please do so.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.