The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

PC users: Have you contemplated switching to Mac?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 17, 2011 9:15 AM PDT

PC users: Have you contemplated switching to Mac?

-- Yes, but I decided not to. (What are the reasons?)
-- Yes, but I'm still still on the fence. (What's holding you back?)
-- No, it's never crossed my mind. (Why not?)
-- I have already switched. (How are things going?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC users: Have you contemplated switching to Mac?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC users: Have you contemplated switching to Mac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MS Office Professional is not available for the MAC
by msecour / June 17, 2011 11:38 AM PDT

I need Office Professional (Access Database) so I have no choice but to stay with PC.

Collapse -
My reason for not switching from PC to MAC
by Mr Bones15 / June 22, 2011 12:41 AM PDT

I write novels, short and long and if I didn't have my Microsoft Office I would be lost.

Collapse -
Writer Apps
by mg4jesus2 / July 4, 2011 10:34 AM PDT

Actually there are some apps in the apple app store that are specific for writers. You should check them out. Also a lot of the apps are free.

Collapse -
by Elljl / June 17, 2011 11:47 AM PDT

I don't need to. My hardware is better, and the Mac hardware isn't exactly the best. I.e. the different gpus available for a Mac vs PC. And my operating system is less susceptible to viruses. Not Windows of course, but Linux. Kubuntu, Linux Mint, and openSUSE to be specific.

Collapse -
(NT) Absolutely--Macinflash and Windoze are not the only options!
by berninghausen / June 17, 2011 1:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope
Collapse -
No, never crossed my mind
by mikejo28 / June 17, 2011 11:57 AM PDT

Why? --

For the same reason that - I don't want to know what Andy **** does on weekends ...

Collapse -
(NT) Yes but I decided not to. The learning curve is too steep.
by rwor / June 17, 2011 12:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yes but I decided not to
by rwor / June 17, 2011 12:17 PM PDT

I've been using Microsoft OS for ever.
I'm too old to re-learn everything I know about Windows and DOS in the Apple world.

I always tell my friends this reason, but 2 of them recently preferred to take the advice of their children. Now their children own a new MAC and they have bought PCs.

Incidentally I'm an enthusiastic iPhone and iPad user. That's different. We were always having to learn new Smartphone OS. I standardised on Symbian (Sony/Ericsson) for about 5 years until the iPhone iOS blew them away.

Now, when Apple releases their iOS based Desktop/Laptop OS then I will reconsider my position.
How long do you think I'll have to wait. 1 year .... 10 years?

Collapse -
Switch? I'd rather fight than do that ;})
by flrhcarr / June 17, 2011 12:17 PM PDT

I switched from an Apple to a PC years ago & am most happy with doing that. I've learned so much about computers, computing, programming & things like that. I can play nearly every game, most software is pc based & the mouse can do so many things.
The main reason (I've said here before) I switched, is because there wasn't enough software for the Apple. I still don't see much for the Mac. Saying that "we wait for the best ones" is like saying you'll wait for a pretty something You twiddle your thumbs (or do something else with them), while, in fact that pretty something went in another direction. I like being able to do many things, even if that is playing a mindless silly looking game for a few minutes, between working on something, & doing other tasks.
No, I don't like all that is associated with a PC, but I don't like all of the options on my new car either (just many or most of them).
I used to see someone had a Mac & I'd ask "creative huh?" "Yes."
Now, at work I ask why a Mac? I hear, I don't have to do anything just what is on the screen. I don't need anything more. Nice for them.
Another cool thing is I don't have to upgrade my software if i don't want to. Over 90% of my old software works fine on the new OS version when I do upgrade/upgrade, all of my old parts fit. I won't even get into how many Pcs I can buy & use for the price of a Mac.
Anyhow, that's my blurb.

Collapse -
Has crossed my mind, but never lingered.
by john3347 / June 17, 2011 12:25 PM PDT

But every time it crosses my mind, I think of the sickening arrogance of Apple and of Apple fanboys. I think of the cost of Apple compared with a Windows PC. I think of the inability to go to and find some free application that looks interesting and just download and install it without having to jump through hoops. I think of the stupidity demonstrated by naming every product with a leading lower case "i". Do the people that make these products not have enough intelligence to learn the rules of capitalization or enough imagination to vary the names a bit? Nope, no rotten Apples in my basket!!!!

Collapse -
I began switching from Windows to Linux in 2002
by pcardout / June 17, 2011 12:26 PM PDT

I cut the cord completely in 2006. Since that time, I only boot Windows in my personal life about
4 times a year when I use my music-composition software that does not run in Linux. As a professor, there
is a single piece of software I need for lectures that does not run in Linux. Everything else I do, home banking, stock trading, organizing and editing family photos, listening to music on my MP3 player, videos, writing, presentations, writing assignments, writing scientific papers, writing software, has been easier in Linux than in the Windows world.
I skipped Vista completely, as I will Windows 7. My one remaining Windows machine runs XP. Why would I move from one closed architecture to another? There are reasons, Macs used to work better than PCs. Not so clear
that they do anymore. Anyway, you do have to know a lot more to run Linux than to have your hand held by Apple or Microsoft, but your knowledge does not become obsolete nearly as fast. Linux only changes to improve, not to make you upgrade. Unix command line stuff is relatively unchanged since the 60s. There is nothing else in the computer
world that is remotely as long lasting. Join us in freedom, CNETers!

Collapse -
I Switched Back Again...
by ESUNintel / June 17, 2011 1:03 PM PDT

I switched to Mac about 5 years ago, and have been through several models (I like upgrading computers every time there's a major CPU/graphics upgrade). About 3 months ago I came back to the PC world because I got tired of running virtual machines. A few things made me come back to Windows - for one, I do like Windows 7, I really love Office Proffesional Plus (OneNote and InfoPath are amazing), I like Mocrosoft's Expression Suite, and I think trying to be different also played a role. Being in the IT world, having a Mac was different and cool, but now everyone has a Mac (at least everyone I know), so I ended up getting a Samsung Series-9, which is cool and stands out - I'm actually switching it for the new thinner Vaio S Signature, should ship next week (had to upgrade quickly for a bigger SSD and more performance).

Anyways, I still really like working on the Mac, so I ended up getting a Mac desktop rather than keep my Mac laptop - so now I can have Mac at home, and can have a cool, close to 3lbs, laptop that's different for on the go.

Collapse -
Once you go Mac, there is no way Back!!
by AmeedEl-Ghoul / June 17, 2011 1:06 PM PDT

The same as every one, I used Windows all my life since windows95. I work at an IT provider company, I have many technical certificates and in specific Microsoft certificates.
Few years i started a side photography business, started doing weddings, engagements etc ..
I was so frustrated on the amount of crashes I have on Windows, time after time, plugin fails, then when un install and install back, it is not working correctly, defrag, clean reformat. I ended up having a dedicated computer for my photography work only, still .. month after month. I waited for Win7 might resolve the issues windows had, but it seems it was the same *&^* different name.

I always bought top of the line brand machines, either Compaq, IBM, Dell XPS. Still same problems.
I fed up and bought my first IMac27 almost a year ago, since then my life has been nothing but a breez, productivity over the roof, work work work, no crashes, doesnt slow down, no difrags to cleaning .. nothing, One here something strange .. a month a go I had an application crash!! seriously, this is the weird news!!

Now I am waiting for the new OS Lion to come out next month to upgrade, never .. ever .. ever in my life, I used an OS without a problem/reformating till the next operating system comes out.

I bought 2Iphones now for my wife and I, next purchases will be 2 Macbook Pros when budget permits.
There is a reason why most of creative/engineering departments uses Mac!!

Collapse -
The usual reasons, I suppose
by daddywalter / June 17, 2011 1:06 PM PDT

I have never owned a Macintosh and haven't used a Mac in years, although I have considered adding one to my home network and possibly, eventually, switching to Macs full-time. So why am I still on the fence?

1. Macs are still more expensive than comparable Wintel PCs. I have six such machines in my household, so replacing all that hardware and software would be rather expensive. And if I replace the family's existing computers with Macs one at a time, I can expect a fight over the first one.

2. My wife, daughters and I are already familiar with Windows. I would be willing to learn how to do things the Macintosh way; they might too, but I'd have to endure countless interruptions to show them how to do things -- while I'm still learning myself. (Yes, I know Macs are designed to be intuitive; but I also know my family.)

3. After all this time, Macs are still closed architecture. I enjoy building and upgrading computers, which is easy with Wintel boxes but effectively impossible with Macs. My newest computer is, in a way, also my oldest; I replaced the motherboard, which in turn meant replacing everything on the mobo, but got a much more capable machine without spending a lot of money -- and I had fun doing it. (Maybe I'll build a Hackintosh someday, and get the best of both worlds.)

4. I live in a small town. The nearest city with a Macintosh reseller is at least an hour's drive away, maybe more; the nearest Apple Store is more like a three hour drive. Starting out with a new-to-me hardware platform, I want the security of a brick-and-mortar store nearby.

5. My family and I can already do just about anything we want using Windows (and in my case Linux), so there is no pressing need to switch.

6. I'd have to change a lot of magazine subscriptions Happy

Collapse -
I switched about five years ago
by Eric Alphabet / June 17, 2011 1:43 PM PDT

I used to build and repair PC's. Now I can't stand them since moving to Mac's. I bought my wife a Mac Mini in November to get her off the last full time PC in my house. She was constantly asking me to fix something on the PC or I had to do something for her because PC's are such a pain to work with. Mac's are intuitive (easy to learn), and they come with most of your daily software. For those needing a PC program, you can run Parallels and Windows software. I'm running Quickbooks for Windows on my MacBook Pro. Windows XP installed faster & runs better on Mac then it does on PC hardware. Updates under Mac's are about a 1000 times easier. Most updates and even software installs do not require rebooting. I just checked and this Mac has been running for 36 days. That's another thing I could never get a PC to sleep and wake up, it works great on all my Mac's. Cost? I tell people that the Mac doesn't cost more if you add up all the down time, protection software, clean-ups, re-installs, etc. that you have to put up with on a PC.

Collapse -
I Never Knew What I Had Been Missing!
by BerniceL1 / June 17, 2011 1:47 PM PDT

I had been using Windows since around 1999. Before My last Windows (Dell) was an XP. I was getting sick and tired of the computer taking forever to boot up, and turn off. I was tired of virus scans, spyware programs, and all the other stuff that was clogging up and slowing down my machine. By early this year, I was more then ready to look for another computer.

Collapse -
No thanks
by Jodz / June 17, 2011 2:51 PM PDT

I've grown up with PCs, used them at work and at home for years and don't see the advantage of making a switch to a MAC. I'm fairly computer literate and don't need a 'simpler' operating system. I work with Adobe products a lot and the inability of the Apple operating system to handle flash is problematic. Likewise the difficulty in tuning the Apple LCD's to decrease their brightness is also a problem. It seems to me that people are paying a premium price to be restricted so I don't think I will be switching anytime soon.

Collapse -
I wouldn't buy or own an Apple anything...
by sbill / June 17, 2011 2:53 PM PDT

... and you couldn't GIVE me one for free!

When I was in high school, my parents bought us a Mac LCIII. They had no choice, even though we already owned a PC, because everything in the school was Mac.

That computer was the biggest piece of junk I ever owned. It ran SLOWER than the PC we already had, and cost my dad more than $2000 since the monitor, keyboard, and mouse were all sold separately. Apple "conveniently" desiged the computer to be "crippled at birth" with an arbitrary memory limit in the firmware which required that you install more than the maximum in order to get the maximum--but the computer couldn't use all the RAM installed, of course.

When I went to college in August of 1997, I got a Compaq with Windows 95, and I never looked back.

Now, when I see people using Apple products, I just think they're shallow and gullible and dumb enough to be "snookered" by Apple's flashy marketing. I wouldn't buy a Mac, iPod, iPad, iPhone, or i-anything-else, and you couldn't GIVE me one for free!

Collapse -
No thought to change to a Mac
by den943 / June 17, 2011 3:00 PM PDT

I can't afford it... Plain and simple...

Collapse -
Agree with den943
by rosiejim / June 17, 2011 8:51 PM PDT

Right now this is too expensive for someone born in 1941 , like me . In future , who knows .
Recently bought a second hand iPod and it is so much better than the Sandisk that I have had for 2/3 years .
Mr Jobs , Mr Gates , well , is there a lot more to say . Extremely wealthy , successful American men used to get so much respect ; are attitudes changing?

Collapse -
Yes, but I decided not to.
by BigBata / June 17, 2011 3:58 PM PDT

The reason why not to switch to Mac: For me, PC is like Garfield, sometimes a bit difficult, somewhat slow and demanding, but convenient and not boring, and Mac is like Nermal: cute, but in short time it becomes annoying.

Collapse -
Learning curve with mac
by RD1956 / June 17, 2011 5:21 PM PDT

I have both. Linux is most likely the best Just because of price. Mac is real close to Linux as far as downloading upgrades. I wish I knew more on writing code to match windows ease of installing software. Then I would dump both in favor of Linux

Collapse -
Changed to Mac due to Windows rotten immune system.
by cameronb / June 17, 2011 5:32 PM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span style="font-family: Arial; ">I changed to Mac years ago because I was sick of viruses and tired of lining the pockets of antivirus software companies.

There are a small percentage of Windows folks out there who can't resist telling me that that the big mac virus is coming and I will get it in the mail any day now. Even while these guys are busy reinstalling their software for the umpteenth time (due to some code written by a 10 year old kid) they still bang on at me that the death of my Mac is imminent. Well, sorry guys, over a decade on and I'm still waiting. Not even a hiccup!

These zealots remind me of those Bible bashing, born again, so called Christians who march around with "God Hates Fags" placards at funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq or Afghanistan.

PS: Some of my best friends are Widows users.

Collapse -
by mikep10 / June 17, 2011 5:54 PM PDT

Easy. The cost!

Collapse -
Why move to MAC?
by dayman / June 17, 2011 6:49 PM PDT

It's only Linux with a shiny front end?
The hardware is very expensive, and it's only Intel based, and it breaks.
You can't get it fixed cheaply, Apple lock you in.
No way I'm sticking with PCs!!

Collapse -
Don't switch to a new OS that do the same as Windows do.
by hifly.liu / June 17, 2011 7:56 PM PDT

Acturely, all OS do the same as Windows do. So just stay what you use now, no matter it's Windows, Mac, Linux.

You realy need to do is buy a large display screen like 27" or 30" LCD from Apple. That's what Apple realy do better than Microsoft.

Collapse -
Switch to Mac, not quite yet.
by pookiedacat / June 17, 2011 8:14 PM PDT

Right now, I run a nice desktop. With it's modest Intel Core 2/Quad CPU, the Q8400 it does everything I need it to do, including (with a new power supply) drive my Nvidia GTX 480 card, my Creative Fatal1ty sound card, two peripherals which far exceed anything in an iMac or Mac Mini. Heck, I have enough GPU left over to run SETI full time. All of it for far less than the cost of the lowest iMac. My storage is a 3 TB system consisting of 3 moderately priced 10,000 rpm drives, all of which are faster than anything found in much of the Mac family. All for far less than the price of an iMac.

Collapse -
iMac MC309LL/A system experiment
by mikebilak / June 17, 2011 9:21 PM PDT

Not to be misleading, I have the 1 iMac, all my other systems are still PC's. As for the iMac, I bought it on a whim to experiment with. I reformatted (erased for you Mac guys) the Hard Drive and and installed Windows XP Pro so file transfer and miscellaneous software installation went pretty smoothly. The only small problem I ran into was a couple of driver issues which I was able to work around.

Collapse -
I've switched to MAC
by Vital2U / June 17, 2011 11:53 PM PDT

The ideal computer would be a combo of Mac and Windows, but I'm glad I switched. Microsoft changes operating systems about every year, so you have to learn the new system each time and often my application programs won't run on the new system. When Windows 7 and Live Mail came out, I decided to make the switch. I figured if I had to learn a new system every year or two, I might as well just learn Mac. The best thing about Mac is it just works and their support is light years ahead of Microsoft.

Collapse -
You Can Have Both in one Mac System
by BerniceL1 / June 18, 2011 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: I've switched to MAC

In one of the Mac tutorials, I read about how you can partition a part of your hard drive on a Mac, and run Windows on it. This would be useful if you need a program that does not have a comparable one that will run on a Mac.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.