PC Applications forum

General discussion

PC Updater - which is the best?

by johndinz / March 5, 2009 2:21 PM PST

In the past few years it seems like a new PC Updater comes on the market every few months. Some of them update drivers, some applications, and some both. I've tried most of them, including:

"Windows Updates Downloader"

Driver Detective

Driver Agent

Uniblue DriverScanner

Windows Update

Which is the best driver and apps updater? I've been playing with these toys several years, testing them out. So far, I've found that I like RadarSync best, because: a) it's FREE (not just the typical free scan, but the actual downloads); b) it's reliable and finds lots of updates; c) it finds driver and apps updates; d) it links to the vendor websites for the downloads, which makes it much more likely that you're getting clean files.

And you? I'm curious to hear which ones other people are using. (and to debate the pros/cons a little)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Updater - which is the best?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Updater - which is the best?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Personally, I don't.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 8:14 PM PST

I use Windows Updates, then check each application I use every so often.

I don't use Microsoft to update drivers, and in fact I don't update drivers at all unless I have a specific problem, using the tried and tested formula, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it"

If I want to update drivers I go direct to source.

Collapse -
I looked at that list and see pain.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 11:21 PM PST

Even the one I do use (Windows Updates) can catch one unaware if you accept a driver update.

-> Let's get back to why you need such a thing. Unless something is broken, why use any of those?

Collapse -
if it ain't broke..
by johnrivkinsky / March 9, 2009 2:48 PM PDT

You must update your PC Drivers bc - and not many knows that - a hacker, first thing she/does is looking if you have new version of..., and if not they take a look at the release notes, and see volubility fixes, and hack RIGHT THERE!

Collapse -
(NT) I prefer not to let hackers in, in the first place.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 9, 2009 8:33 PM PDT
In reply to: if it ain't broke..
Collapse -
They search for security flaws not out of date drivers...
by John.Wilkinson / March 10, 2009 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: if it ain't broke..

Consider what most driver updates offer: Increased performance and minor stability fixes. Yes, security flaws do exist and get patched now and then, but 99% of the time you do not need to download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card the way you do the definitions for your antivirus application or security patches for Windows.

Collapse -
Agreed . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 10, 2009 11:54 PM PDT

More than once I've had to "roll back" a driver.

Collapse -
and your parents
by johnrivkinsky / March 15, 2009 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Agreed . . .

and your parents? do you want to go to their homes regularly and update manually or ... give them automated tool to do that... I prefer the second....

but seriously, I think you are wrong, I think those PC Updaters can save us a lot of time usually. It takes a lot of time to find those bloody new version drivers/apps, I rather read a good book instead.

Collapse -
And frustration...
by John.Wilkinson / March 15, 2009 3:33 PM PDT
In reply to: and your parents

If you have regularly relied upon driver updaters and never downloaded an incorrect or faulty update, you are in the minority. Even Windows Update issues faulty driver updates now and then. You may have been lucky, but most suffer the consequences eventually.

Collapse -
modern drivers
by johnrivkinsky / March 15, 2009 4:31 PM PDT
In reply to: And frustration...

it's not suppose to be like that. Modern drivers suppose to tell you if they were downloaded into wrong configuration/system, and not to be installed. I guess some vendor/device publishers are not so professional.

Collapse -
You gave false information
by jarrettdustin / June 5, 2010 4:05 PM PDT
In reply to: modern drivers

It is not free, you must pay for the full version!

Collapse -
software Informer is best apps
by ory85 / August 11, 2010 3:36 PM PDT

it is the best software upadte solution.

just intall it & forget abt update solution.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.