Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC turns on by itself!!!

by nickelarse / January 14, 2008 11:30 PM PST

Ok, now i am desperate, i have searched loads of forums and cannot find out why my PC randomly boots up in the early hours of the morning...

First things First

OS = Windows XP MCE SP2
MSI K8TNEO FISR
AMD 3400+ 2.4Ghz
1GB CORSAIR RAM
4 internal HDs
RADEON 9800 PRO

OK, i was running XP X64 PRO for 1 and half years with no such random boot ups. I formatted the other day and put on the media center edition of XP. Since then i have the random boot up problem. At between 7 and 8am my PC will proceed to boot up from hibernation. Now its a complete fresh install so definitely not a virus or trojan.

I checked all BIOS wake settings...all disabled, and like i said my PC with X64 has been fine for 1.5years and i havent changed any BIOS settings.

I also installed a BELKIN wireless network card just before i formatted with new OS. Maybe something with this could be triggering...but like i said all BIOS wake settings disabled...

I am seriously stumped by this problem....if anybody could shed some light onto my problem.....i would be eternally grateful.

thanks Nick

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC turns on by itself!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC turns on by itself!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check The Device Manager Settings
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 15, 2008 12:13 AM PST

Open the Device Manager, click on the + sign next to "Network Adapters", then RIGHT click on the new Network Adapter device, choose "Properties". When that opens, click on the "Power Management" tab, then UNCHECK the "Allow this device to wake the computer out of standby", or something similar.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
anotehr option
by AceCT-2214807889169935659 / January 18, 2008 1:05 PM PST

another option is to go into the BIOS and disable Wake On Lan. Don't mess with the BIOS if you aren't comfortable though.

Collapse -
Did you check your scheduled tasks
by PudgyOne / January 15, 2008 5:48 AM PST

Scheduled tasks will wake the computer from hibernation.

Start/accessories/system tools/scheduled tasks

Also, I remember that someone once had the computer turn on when the phone rang.

Rick

Collapse -
XP MCE PC BOOTING UP AT SAME TIME EVERY DAY
by nickelarse / January 16, 2008 10:48 PM PST

Just to say thanks guys for your help...

I figured it out, i checked the EVENT viewer log and it showed the MEDIA CENTER downloaded its updated TV guide every morning ay 7.21 am....

Now there is no way at all change the time within MCE, you can disable auto update, or you use this free tool http://www.avsoft.nl/Tools/guidedltime/ to change the time to whatever you like.

NOTE it can only fetch out of standby and hibernation....NOT SHUTDOWN.

I hope this helps someone because i looked over the entire internet and couldnt find any info on this....

Thanks again.

Nick Gore

Collapse -
Its just Media Center
by climber109 / January 18, 2008 2:01 PM PST

Your are running XP Media Center Edition. This is normal. Media Center is supposed to come on to do TV recordings and updates. I would just suggest that you go to "control panel" -> "power options" and tell the computer to go back into standby after 15-30 minutes of inactivity.

Collapse -
pc turns off
by oprea lucian / January 18, 2008 5:08 PM PST

there's no problem with your pc. i had the same problem too. you must change the on\off buttom.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.