Desktops forum

General discussion

PC turns itself on!!??

by rmeclark / May 18, 2005 6:08 AM PDT

OK, I'm sure there is an easlily understood reason for this, but my PC turns itself on. I have not discovered a pattern yet. But I will shut down in the p.m. (windows xp sp2) and sometime early in the a.m it will have turned itself back on. Likewise while I'm at work. Whats the fix?

SYSTEM: AMD 2600 xp cpu, Syntax SV400 MOBO, 1Gb PC2700 DDR, 40GB Seagte HD, 128MB DDr FX5200 Video Card.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC turns itself on!!??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC turns itself on!!??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be a number of things
by Steven Haninger / May 18, 2005 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: PC turns itself on!!??

but most might point to BIOS settings. You could have it set to power back on after a power failure. As such, a drop in your line voltage could trigger the restart. Another could be it's set to "wake on modem" or other device. You may also have it configured to restart with the keyboard or mouse. Do you have pets? These could be by choice or by chance.

Collapse -
It happened to me before
by AKonny47 / May 18, 2005 8:36 AM PDT

the same thing happened to my gateway 820gm and you are right about the times. i would wake up in the morning and at usually 8 it would power on. i asked gateway tech support and they told me it was a virus. i was like ok right, norton couldnt find it? i think a week later, i had to clear my hard drive because i had a serious problem logging in. after i reinstalled everything, it never turned itself on anymore

Collapse -
MY BAD MY BAD
by AKonny47 / May 19, 2005 10:48 AM PDT

*******after i reinstalled everything, it never turned itself on anymore ******* i meant that it never turned itself on automatically again. it was fixed after i cleared the hard drive and reinstalled it to original factory settings. it runs perfectly fine

Collapse -
Used to have a TV like that...
by John Robie / May 19, 2005 2:47 AM PDT
Happy
Believe it had to do with someone's burglar alarm system that triggered a sensitive remote. Remember when the old auto speed radar detectors could be activated by a remote garage door opener, burglar alarm systems, or microwave ovens.

Also, when I bought my Dish Network Satellite TV system some years ago, there are two types of remotes..forget the names ..like infra red & ?, but one you point at the receiver and one you don't have to. Anyway, they caution that you can activate a neighbors satellite system with one of the remotes under certain conditions.

Read some years back that there is/was a worm or spyware with telephone dialup that can trigger your computer to turn on and the hard drive/system can then be used to do work for others. You might post in the Virus and Security Alerts forum to see what the experts there have to say.
Collapse -
pc...turns on
by manicoti / May 19, 2005 10:42 PM PDT

your pc is only going to sleep.
somewhere on your control panel list is a place where you will find that sort of thing.

it is not coming as a thief in the night

Collapse -
going to sleep?
by rmeclark / May 19, 2005 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: pc...turns on

More like.... waking up from the dead. The computer turns itself ON, after it has been completely shut down. (turned off, no power, not running) I posted on the virus/security forum and so far no one feels as if it is a virus, plus I've run a very thorough scan....twice, and I have no virus. Searched thru my bios but cant seem to find anywhere where there is something that would set it to "wake".
Thanks for everyones insight, keep the ideas coming!

Collapse -
pc turns on automatically:
by joemarv / May 19, 2005 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: going to sleep?

You may have been in bios, but you must have missed the wake on setting. go back to bios, and make sure while you check each line that you use the scroll setting to go to a line item that must be hidden due to the number of items. I did this , and missed a bunch ofitems, because I thought I saw all of the line items. try again.

Collapse -
Bios setting
by Aravis / May 20, 2005 12:21 AM PDT

Have a look in BIOS at startup; there may be some setting in there that says something like: Wake-up on Event, or Ring, or Ringtime. Sometimes someone wants to be able to take a fax when the machine is off, and this setting allows it to turn itself on to take a fax. So it may be turning on when your phone rings....

Collapse -
simple answer
by snowbirds_nest / May 20, 2005 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Bios setting

When you turn off your computer, flip the switch on your surge protector or power strip! I'd like to see your computer turn itself on now! (You don't have a ghost, do you?)

Collapse -
Ghost??
by rmeclark / May 20, 2005 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: simple answer

I think the ghost resides in the bios settings as pointed out by several folks. I will review my mobo manual thoroughly and seek out this wake setting, I'm sure i'll find it with some perseverance. Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted. Rick

Collapse -
System check failure due to overclocking.
by bajaman / August 25, 2006 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Bios setting

I know nothing about bios settings. I recently built my first computer. It is an AMD based system with the AMD barton core 2900+. When my system boots sometimes i get the message system check failed due to overclocking, but then boots and runs fine. I have not overclocked the processor myself. Could you shed some light on this and perhaps tell me how to check it.

Collapse -
BIOS settings
by SysGoddess / May 21, 2005 9:33 PM PDT

Most likely there are settings in your BIOS telling it to Wake on LAN or Wake on Modem activity, or even other settings telling it to not necessarily power off but to hibernate or go into standby mode and some pieces of software are waking it to perform software updates, receive e-mail, etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.