PC Hardware forum

Question

PC to TV connection

by flaminone / April 29, 2013 7:49 AM PDT

Hello,
I have an Acer Espire M5630- Vista Home Edition 32 bit and a Panasonic Viera 32" HDTV. I'm trying to connect the two.
On the back of the TV there is a port marked PC. A VGA cable fits it. On my PC there is a VGA port that connects to the back of my monitor. I disconnected the cable from the back of the PC. Connected a VGA to VGA from PC to the TV.
When I set the TVs input to PC, it tells me no connection present. Check to see of external device in connected properly and turned on.
I'm lost. Did I connect incorrectly? I forgot to mention there is another connection from PC to monitor. I don't know what that cable is called.
Can someone help please. Thought I had the solution.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC to TV connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC to TV connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This can be true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: PC to TV connection

You must be aware of the issues of this connection. Not only must you get another VGA monitor to work but on some TVs the designer thought (wrongly) that the VGA DETECT PIN should be checked. Sadly Samsung and other makers learned that lesson the hard way.

You may have connected it just fine or just have bad luck about the noted pin. There are youtube videos about a workaround but I can't endorse or write further about that.
Bob

Collapse -
Reply to " This can be true "
by flaminone / April 29, 2013 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: This can be true.

Thanks for the response Bob. Not quite sure I know what you meant about "must get another VGA monitor to work.
I checked the TVs manual under connections. They show a lap top being connected via PC out to TV using an RGB cable. Also some sort of adapter " if necessary ".
Odd thing ( to me that is ) , with the VGA cable from the monitor disconnected from the PC there is no change in the monitors performance.
Still in the fog as to how to make the connection.
Ray

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 4:17 PM PDT

What is this about "performance?" I thought you were getting nothing at all?

Collapse -
Reply to " Sorry"
by flaminone / April 30, 2013 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

Performance okay only with the PCs monitor. I was getting nothing when going VGA to PC port on tv which matches a VGA. Sorry if I miss led you.
I've tried something new since the original post. I bought a DVI converter. Kept the VGA connection on the TV. Disconnected my PC's monitor. Connected the other end VGA with the converter to where the monitor was. Set TV input to PC. Turned on computer. Saw Acer bios screen, then Windows scroll box bar. At the point Windows loaded I got a message saying " No signal. Check connections and that external device is turned on.
That's where I stand now.
Ray

Collapse -
There are 5 different DVI types.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply to " Sorry"

Sorry but it's pretty technical but very few TVs accept VGA over a convertor to HDMI or DVI. The reason is simple. VGA is analog and those little adapters are only usable on DVI that supports analog which is few to no TVs.
Bob

Collapse -
Reply to"There are 5 different DVI types"
by flaminone / May 1, 2013 1:06 PM PDT

Hi Bob,
I resolved it.
All I had to do was go into Display. Chose monitor #2. Checked " Extend desktop to this monitor." Had the connections I mentioned. I'm typing and seeing it on my TV screen.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.
Ray

Collapse -
Reply to " Sorry "
by flaminone / April 30, 2013 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

Sorry if I miss led you Bob. I was saying performance is okay only with PC's monitor. I was getting nothing on TV going with VGA to VGA. That's the cable that matches the port on my TV marked PC.
Since posting I tried something different. I purchased a DVI converter. Kept the VGA end on the TV. Disconnected my PC's monitor and connected the VGA cable with the converter where the monitor was.
Set the TV to PC, turned on computer. I saw the Acer bios screen on the TV, then the Windows scroll box. At the point where Windows would come on, I got a message on the TV screen saying, " No signal. Check connections and that external device is on. Never got to see my desktop.
That's where I stand now.
Ray

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.