Desktops

General discussion

PC stuck on mute

by dsg052 / May 18, 2010 3:36 PM PDT

Hey, recently let a friend use my pc, did something to my taskbar, and not there is no "speaker" icon or sound??? how do I fix this?? thanks!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC stuck on mute
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC stuck on mute
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Double-Post
by Brechan / May 21, 2010 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: PC stuck on mute
Collapse -
PC stuck on mute
by pcs365_12 / May 24, 2010 8:03 PM PDT

1. Check if sound drivers in device manager are ok
2. Check the sound settings in control panel
...........if this does not help you.....I will post the rest...coz its a bit techie...

Collapse -
I downloaded Free Studio 4.6 & DVD Video software.
by Grace Pietramala / June 8, 2010 1:14 PM PDT

I needed a software to convert a 9 min.Video_Ts file. My camcorder will only recognize it's own content. However, this was to be a family reunion video, I have to add a few other parts slideshow etc. I am using Windows Movie Maker. In order to convert the 9 min Video_TS file I downloaded "Free Studio 4.6 & DVD Video Software" from your CNET downloads. Ithought this sotware would complete my project. Each time I try to convert from the Free studio software using (DVD to Converter) I end up with AVS4you, tried to uninstall it. it seems I have no chocie if I want to convert the Video_TS. I cannot get passed this point. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I can complete this reunion video. I have a total of 3 separate parts to put all on one DVD total about 1 hour long. Thank you. Grace

Collapse -
Hiding your post under another topic
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2010 11:52 PM PDT

Doesn't help get it noticed. But try this title next.

DVD FLICK

It's not fancy but has worked to get videos onto DVD without much fuss. Sorry but for free you don't get menus or much else. But it has worked where others don't.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry: sent to wrong post, am very new at this:
by Grace Pietramala / June 9, 2010 1:43 AM PDT

My first problem was that in downloading the Free Studio 4.6 bundle package from CNET site. I was trying to convert a Video_ts 9 min. video I had copied to a DVD to send to Windows Movie Maker. This is where AVS4You was converting it instead of Studio 4.6 software. DVD to Converter. It seems AVS4you downloaded at the same time, I did see it, I was not aware it was part of the free software. I usually use my PMB software it converts whatever I need with my videos, this was my first time trying to use Windows Movie Maker to put this reunion video together. Thank you, grace

Collapse -
Windows Movie Maker
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2010 2:04 AM PDT

Is something I got burned on years ago. I've never tried it again. I'm sure there are forums all about WMM but it seems to be a very picky program.

DVD FLICK is simple and has sufficed for some.

About TRANSCODING VIDEOS. Now that's a title for a book. I find that everytime I do that I'm not doing the same steps. This means that it would be unlikely to find any STEP BY STEP since the steps keep changing.

However the tools I use today remain the same. SUPER VIDEO CONVERTER (very hard to find the download link which I can't explain why that is.) DVD FLICK (mentioned) and IMG BURN for recording.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob thank you
by Grace Pietramala / June 9, 2010 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Movie Maker

I will give DVD Flick a try. My grandson had installed IMG Burn on my PC.I never had occasion to use it cause like I said, I usually use my Sony PMB to burn my camcorder videos to DVD. Thank you, Grace

Collapse -
Its simple man
by mirisaamali / June 9, 2010 7:13 PM PDT

Go into the control panel and go in to sounds and devices. In there you will see a check box that asks whether you want the sound icon to appear on desktop or not. Just check it and your icon would be back. You can also unmute from there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.