Samsung forum

General discussion

PC Streaming with HT-BD1250

by dave1000x / July 31, 2009 2:41 AM PDT

I recently purchased the 1250 HTIB and a wireless dongle to connect to my computer. I am running Windows XP. After plugging it in I was able to confirm that the 1250 sees my WLAN. I went into the setup and selected my access point (my router), the DHCP is ON, and the DNS is on AUTO. I then ran the network connection test and it said the network is operating correctly. So how do I stream content from my computer? I'm missing something here. Appreciate your assistance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Streaming with HT-BD1250
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Streaming with HT-BD1250
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Any Ideas? <nt>
by dave1000x / August 4, 2009 7:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
by koli04 / August 4, 2009 12:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Any Ideas? <nt>

Well if you still have your manual, the PC streaming section is on pages 83-84.

Collapse -
Not in my manual...
by dave1000x / August 5, 2009 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Manual

In the manual I got with my system page 83 talks about timer function, display brightness and the mute function. Page 84 is the first page of the troubleshooting section... must be more than one manual for this unit. Mine says code no. AH68-02178R

Collapse -
PC Connect
by blu-ray chic / August 5, 2009 12:05 AM PDT

Well I just learned a valuable lesson. After fifteen minutes of typing instructions for you, I clicked Preview Post and lost all of my work. So.. I'm going to type these into a word doc and post the instructions on the Samsung FAQ Page and How To Guides. I'll let you know when it's completed and provide a link. It should be done in a little bit.

Collapse -
PC Streaming on 09 BD Players and Home Theaters
by blu-ray chic / August 12, 2009 4:15 PM PDT

To access your PC, you must make a network connection to your PC, not to be confused with the Home Network Connection you already made which is used to download BD Live or Streaming content from Netflix and Pandora or other internet based media content.

To share files/folders, you'll need to know the following info.

Computer Name: (Not your windows login ID)
Your computer name essentially determines which method(s) you can use to connect, the Auto or Manual Network Search.

o If your Computer Name contains spaces, dashes or symbols or is 12 characters or longer (Ex. SVC-DIANEM-NB or Diane?s Office Computer) it will not be detected using the Auto Search method. You must use the Manual Network Search.
o If your computer name is less than 12 characters and does not contain any spaces, dashes or symbols (Ex. DianeM or Diane) you can use either Auto or Manual Search.

Your computer name can be found in the System Properties (Control Panel > System > Computer Name) or by clicking ?Options? at the Windows Login Screen. Determine which search method you should use and follow the instructions below.

Auto Search Method

Use Auto Search if your computer name is one word, does not contain dashes, spaces or symbols and is less than 12 characters long. You will need to enter User ID, Password and Shared folder name using the on screen keyboard. (All entries are case sensitive.)

IMPORTANT: If you use the Auto Search method even though your Computer Name does not meet the Auto Search specifications, your computer may appear (with an incorrect or incomplete name) but you will be unable to complete the connection.

1.Connect your Blu-ray player to the network you want to access (either wired or wirelessly) Be sure to SAVE your settings and then test the network connection.

2. Press the Menu button on the BD remote control and then press the left arrow button to highlight ?No Disc?.

3. Press the RED A button to begin a Network Search.

4. Highlight ?Auto? and then press Enter.

5. If your computer is detected, a computer icon and the computer name will appear in the left pane under the ?No Disc? icon.

o If multiple computers are on the network, multiple listings will appear.
o The Blu-ray Player will detect up to 4 computers on the network.
o If more than 4 networked computers are detected but the one you wish to connect to is not on the list then you?ll need to add the computer manually using the Manual Network Search.

6. Use the arrow buttons on the remote to highlight the computer icon and then press the Enter button. At the prompts, enter your Windows Login ID, Password and Shared Folder name pressing the Blue D button to save each entry and continue to the next.

IMPORTANT: If you do not use a password, leave the field blank and press the Blue D button.

NOTES:PC Share settings will not be saved once you end the session. For security purposes, you must establish a new connection to the share folder whenever:
o The player is rebooted, reset or the powered down.
o You navigate outside the shared folder to access other features such as Netflix or Pandora or to play a disc.
o Connect to another computer on the network.

Manual Search Method

Use Manual Search if your Computer Name contains spaces, dashes or symbols or is longer than 12 characters (Ex. SVC-DIANEM-NB or Diane?s Office Computer). You will need to enter IP Address, Shared folder, User ID and Password using the on screen keyboard. (All entries are case sensitive.)

1. Connect your Blu-ray player to the network you want to access (either wired or wirelessly). Be sure to SAVE your settings and then test the network connection. (Click here for instructions)
2. Press the Menu button on the BD remote control and then press the left arrow button to highlight ?No Disc?.
3. Press the RED A button to begin a Network Search.
4. Highlight ?Manual? and then press Enter.
5. At each prompt, use the on screen keyboard(s) to enter details (IP Address Windows Login ID, Password and Shared Folder name) and the Blue D button on the remote to save each entry and continue to the next.
Quick Tip: For convenience, you can use the number buttons on the remote control.
6. At the last prompt, the player begins searching for your computer. When complete, a computer icon and IP address will appear on the left menu pane and Video (right pane) will be highlighted. Scroll to the media type you want to view (Videos, Photos, MP3) and press enter. Navigate as such.

Hope this helps. Lemme know if you have any questions.

Collapse -
No PC Streaming
by nicnac42 / August 16, 2009 5:11 PM PDT

I'm watching all the threads with the streaming and network connecting probs with the BD Home Theatre systems.
@ blu-ray chic: Thank you very much for this detailed explanations!
But it still does not work.
The Auto search tells me: No network available.
The manual search says: No common PC found. (Config: IP of the streaming pc; name of the media folder;login name of WIN XP; pw of WIN XP)
It's really getting boring that there is no connection possible.
My HT-BD1250 is connected via cable to the network. All settings are manual and the network test is completely successful. All firewalls are switched off.

Collapse -
PC Streaming
by blu-ray chic / August 17, 2009 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: No PC Streaming

Nicnac42 - are you entering the IP address for the LAN adapter or Wireless adapter (if availalbe) on your PC?
And just to be sure - you've entered spaces and capitalization with user names and p/w? How many computers are on your network and do any of the show up? L

Collapse -
No PC Streaming
by nicnac42 / August 29, 2009 4:45 PM PDT
In reply to: PC Streaming

blu-ray chic - I'm entering IP of the WIN XP PC where the shared folders are stored on.
Alternatively, I entered the IP of the W-LAN Router D-LINK DIR-855.
WIN XP PC connected to the router via CAT5 network cable.BD1250 is wired to a Switch; this is wired to the router.
Rest of up to 3 laptops, incl. a MacBook Pro with WIN7, are wireless in the network. All show up. For logging on the PC's, no password is necessary, also for the shared folders.

Collapse -
samsung with wireless
by fabrice19702003 / September 8, 2009 11:14 PM PDT

need your help. i have the bp1600 with the wireless dungle. its on my home network and i can access youtube. BUT am looking to stream from my pc and also access the laptop shared files from the blueray. I follow you instructions but when i press the A button nothing happens. The only buttons available on the screen is B for "WPS"?

Collapse -
Samsung ht-bd1250
by forceablebob / September 25, 2009 8:14 AM PDT

Hello i have read the the instructions you wrote about how to stream form pc to the blu ray system,i have windows vista on my pc,i have connected my blu ray to my router and on screen it brings up my pc name and passes all the network checks but then asks me for user name and password i have tried all the user names and passwords i have but none of them work i have also spoke to samsung but they dont seem to have a clue about how to make it work please help me if you can i am pulling my hair out thanks very much

Collapse -
Samsung ht-bd1250
by scottral / October 1, 2009 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung ht-bd1250

I as well have been able to connect with the auto feature with the ht-bd1250. it will take my user name and password but then says that their are no shared folders. I am running windows 7 64 bit.
I have shared out folder with correct permissions. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Samsung ht-bd 1250 streaming
by forceablebob / October 2, 2009 1:48 AM PDT

Hi can i ask you what user name and password you need to connect to your pc as i am not sure what to put cheers

Collapse -
Samsung ht-bd1250
by scottral / October 3, 2009 5:19 AM PDT

windows user name and password

Collapse -
pc streaming ht-bd 1250
by fromfrance / November 12, 2009 2:01 AM PST

Hi, windows user name and password don't work for me.
Other ideas someone please ?

Collapse -
Finding Multiple Computers
by johncroskell / December 9, 2009 3:02 AM PST

Ht-bd 1250 with wireless access to a Netgear modem/router. I have 4 computer in my house, all happily talking to each other. Two wired into the router (ports 1 and 2), and two laptops wirelessly connected.
After setting up the network connection using "auto" on the Samsung, I find the network OK but only 1 of the four computers is found. They are all switched on and networking OK with each other, but I have noticed that the one hard-wired to ethernet port number 1 is the computer that's found. If I swith around ethernet ports 1 and 2, then the found-computer changes correspondingly!

Any thoughts?

Collapse -
by iang12345 / December 9, 2009 3:11 AM PST

Have you tried setting those pcs up manually through the 1215's interface instead of auto?

Collapse -
Finding computers on ht-bd1250
by johncroskell / December 9, 2009 6:58 PM PST
In reply to: Wireless

I tried "Find-Netwok > Manual", and was able to make it recognise any one of my 4 computers, and the specified Shared Folder. So far so good, but should there not be a way to make it recognise all 4 at the same time? When I press the red button to initiate the sequence to find the second computer, it just zaps the first, so I can only get one at a time. Maybe I have misunderstood.

A follow-on question is, if I install a Network Storage disc on one of the remaining ethernet ports on the router, what (from the Samsung's viewpoint) do you use for the "Windows Admin name" and its Password during the "find- a-computer" sequence?

Collapse -
Me neither
by monypennyuk / January 20, 2010 4:40 AM PST

I can connect ok as it find pc name etc when i put in user and pass.

But then when i look at pics, musci or video it says no programs found???!!!???

I bought this mainly as i wanted to stream movies form my pc...

I am running win 7 too.

( ps if u dont have a pass set when u turn ur pc on, u need to have one, same for sharing any files over you network.

Collapse -
Same problem, did you find a solution?
by nhcc02 / February 2, 2010 12:15 PM PST
In reply to: Me neither

I'm getting the 'no program found' error when trying to access the video section of the folder. Did you ever solve that problem, anyone else have any advice? Thanks

Collapse -
pc streaming
by on1wheel / December 2, 2009 1:31 AM PST

what types of files can the bd1250 stream? AVI?

Collapse -
Pc streaming sorted
by iang12345 / December 7, 2009 8:05 PM PST
In reply to: pc streaming

Dont know wether anyone is tracking this, but I have managed to sort out the pc streaming after much of a headache. If you would like help with it just reply to this thread as there's no point in typing it all out for no reason Wink

Collapse -
by on1wheel / December 7, 2009 10:18 PM PST
In reply to: Pc streaming sorted

My girlfriend bought this as a gift. I am looking forward to setting it up, can you verify that only pictures and music can be streamed?

Also, did you leave the speaker settings alone? When you enter the distances, is it from the speaker to the receiver or from the speaker to where I am sitting in the room?

Collapse -
by iang12345 / December 7, 2009 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: I AM INTERESTED

Yeah it can stream movies and music. I have had it playing district 9 this morning which is an avi and it worked perfectly, streams very fast as well.

Are your familar with file sharing in windows? Because what I have to do is disable simple file sharing in windows and add permissions for each user account you want to have access to the shared folder. I could talk you through this if you are unsure.

Collapse -
i am interested
by on1wheel / December 7, 2009 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: Streaming

I am familiar with Windows shares so I guess it should not be a problem. Does it happen to play mkv files? I am also getting the WD TV LIve media player and it would be kind of redundant but still need to play mkv files. I have alot of avi but would love to play the better quality stuff. Maybe this can save me the 150 for the wd tv.

Collapse -
Mkv files
by iang12345 / December 8, 2009 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: i am interested

I'll try it out tonight mate and let you know if it plays them!

Collapse -
by on1wheel / December 8, 2009 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: Mkv files

that would be awesome.....thanks!

Collapse -
Mkv files
by iang12345 / December 11, 2009 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

Sorry about the delay. I can confirm it plays mkv files!

Collapse -
mkv files
by on1wheel / December 12, 2009 4:40 AM PST

Is anyone else as excited about this as I am? Full media streaming.

Collapse -
Which region is your player?
by smyroad / December 13, 2009 11:24 PM PST

I've got the US BD1250 with XAA SW and the pc streaming video reports "no program" instead of letting me look at the folder.

Collapse -
MKV files
by ashtree_bg / May 15, 2010 7:52 AM PDT

Hi all,
I have an European version of HT-BD-1250 with original Samsung wirelless stick, a Netgear Router with one wired desktop and two laptops on wireless. I've just downloaded and tried to play Spielberg's Munich in .mkv using the streaming option, but it doesn't recognize .mkv's, only avi's. Any ideas? Maybe I need a firmware upgrade?
Sofia, Bulgaria

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.