Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

PC Starts then shuts down within few seconds

by raddman / April 4, 2007 6:05 AM PDT

Hi, This problem just started happening this week, A few days ago I turned on my PC and it started up then a few seconds later it shut off and I couldn't start it back up again meaning it was dead...I pulled the plug then plugged it back in, then went to turn my PC back on and it worked, today it did the same thing and I did the same thing, it would not start up till about the tenth try at re-plugging..It never shuts down once its running...My power supply is about 3 years old and the only thing I have installed in the last year is a 1gb ram, it never gets as far as booting into windows...I run Sandra lite and my board and power unit temps are normal...Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Windows XP home
AMD2400+
1gb+256 ram
Geforce 5200 video card
400W power supply
KT3 ultra2 motherboard
Trend Micro security 07

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Starts then shuts down within few seconds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Starts then shuts down within few seconds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't do that again until...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2007 7:26 AM PDT

You've opened up the case to inspect if the CPU heatsink is still in the right place. One recent story like yours found the heatsink had let go and they kept trying. Sadly the CPU didn't survive.

Bob

Collapse -
by dellea / April 5, 2007 7:45 AM PDT

Make sure all of your system's fans are spinning and free of dirt. Open up the case and look inside when it's running. If it's really dirty in there, get some canned air and blow out the inside of your computer (when it's turned off).

If it's clean, or you've just cleaned it and it does the same thing, then it could be that the RAM is faulty, or that it may not have the correct speed ratings or CAS (timing latency) for your motherboard. RAM can overheat too especially after hours of gaming. So if you're computer has been on for a long time, shut it off, open the case, touch the metal on the case to discharge any static, then touch the RAM chips to see if they are very hot. If they are, you may have to buy some RAM coolers, probably same brand as the RAM itself. At the very least, you could take the RAM chips out and reseat them, sometimes they may not be fully seated or their contacts may be dirty.

Last but not least, try a different video card for a while, if you have one laying around, and see if you experience the same issue. If not, then it could be that there's something wrong with your GeForce 5200. The GeForce cards overheat real quick if their fans are clogged with dirt or aren't spinning freely.

Collapse -
If... If....
by hantech / April 5, 2007 10:05 AM PDT

If you can get to your boot screen its not your computers insides. then it shuts off you may be in some trouble. There is 2 reasons you 1.might have a virus 2. your hard drive may be corrupt. If you have a recovery disc use it. if that doesn't work buy a new hard drive then use your pc recovery disk.

Collapse -
Thanks for the imput
by raddman / April 6, 2007 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: If... If....

It only happens when I go on in the morning so everything is nice and cool at that time, all fans are working properly and the motherboard and CPU temps are normal..I don't game...It never gets to the "beep" point before shutting down and never happens after its running just at startup...I did have a problem with my power unit fan squeaking around Christmas at startup and had it lubed by a repair person and it's working, plus he cleaned everything inside. I put in 1gb more of ram a couple months ago I'll try to re-insert it...I don't have another video card to try but I do have a vew power unit I was oing to put in if the fan went bad...Thank you all for your help

Collapse -
Update
by raddman / April 13, 2007 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the imput

It was my power supply...Replaced it and everything is running great...thank all of you for responding

Collapse -
Same kaka here!
by rogozaurus / April 24, 2007 8:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Update

Just put together a new pc (new PSU) and when trying to boot it started for 2 seconds then stops........changed the RAM, changed Arctic Silver, bla, bla, 1 hour of work ==>the new Hyper PSU was dead.

Advice test firs the PSU than look into the PCU (I broke once an AMD and got scared since).

Thanks for everything.

Collapse -
Check your power on button first!!!
by kosterk / October 25, 2010 6:06 PM PDT

For other people who come across this problem - Before going out and buying a new power supply, check the power on button first.

This is a common problem with power-on buttons sticking. Over time, coffee or other liquids might make the power on button stick into the 'always on' position.

If this happens, then the computer will power up, but power down again within a few short seconds.

Just my saver tip!

Collapse -
i think it is for the psu sure..!!!
by subhosmit / December 5, 2012 11:13 AM PST

really its a psu issue... Cry ..it happened to me earlier...and i replaced it...den again after 9 months its again happening!!!!!!! Cry

Collapse -
Sorry...you're a little late
by VAPCMD / December 6, 2012 10:10 AM PST

This thread started in 2007 with a few responses in 2010.

Best to check the post dates before responding as there are plenty of posters with unresolved problems.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
by pspuria81 / October 26, 2010 5:07 AM PDT

It sounds like a hardware issue with the Power supply you can either test it or swap it out with a known working one

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.