How To forum

PC sound to TV

by sargesam91 / December 27, 2012 11:33 PM PST

Okay I have read many forums and can't find the answer. I use my PC monitor and want to keep the sound through my normal speakers. I have DVI connection on my graphics card with a HDMI converter on that goes to my TV, the quality isn't great but works but I have no sound! I have fiddled with the sound settings setting HDMI to default etc, tried different ports on PC, I also have a aux lead from PC to TV which connects to green aux PC audio, also tried the headphone jack. I use realtek HD audio manager. Been on TV settings not many options nothing worked, I have a Bush 26" HD flatscreen. Tried different HDMI ports on TV. Any help would be great thanks. Also went on device manager and went onto sound and hardware is up to date.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC sound to TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC sound to TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Use VGA (RGB) to keep sound HDMI for sound to TV
by wpgwpg / December 28, 2012 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: PC sound to TV

If you use a HDMI connection, it will carry both sound and picture. If you use a RGB (VGA) connector, it will carry picture only so you should have sound with the computer. I don't know what DVI does, but apparently that's the source of your problem.

Good luck.

Collapse -
DVI does not always carry sound.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: PC sound to TV

That's it in a nutshell. Back to basics I fear. No make, model or details so when you wrote it has DVI, that does not mean it has sound.

Collapse -
by sargesam91 / December 28, 2012 1:25 AM PST

I see do DVI ports have different pins? I have a GTX 260 graphics card is a couple years old now. So if i just use a VGA cable and aux lead or maybe a red and white splitter it should be okay? i have no idea hence why I tried the aux lead. "ASUS GTX260 896MB DDR3 216 Core Dual DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card" is what i have. Don't know the model of my TV. I want sound on both PC speakers and TV speakers

Collapse -
I want sound on both PC speakers and TV speakers
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: ...

Then you are going to want to split the audio signal going to the PC speakers and send those over to the TV.

I've helped a few with getting PC speakers and audio over HDMI at the same time but folk don't seem to understand why that's a bad idea. It's pretty simple as each method of transport has a different delay and that delay changes from system to system so you get this ball park echo issue.

Those new to this might ask "I thought they solved that?" To which I ask them about their last ball park experience. Yup, still an issue.

If you split the signal and send it analog then there is no such effect.

Collapse -
by sargesam91 / December 28, 2012 3:38 AM PST

Okay thanks I'll have to get some splitters then I'll update once I've done that. I'm not to bothered about the quality as long as I'm getting some feedback. Cheers for the info

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.