Samsung forum

General discussion

PC Share Manager or Allshare

by CoolHandDude / April 29, 2011 3:31 PM PDT

I noticed PC Share Manager is no longer available as I download for my two LCD's UN46C6400 and LN40C630 in there respective support pages. I just recently purchased a 2011 Plasma PN51D8000 and I see this software available to download "Allshare".

My two older TV's are Wireless Connected so I can access my PC with PC Share Manager.

So does Allshare replace PC Share Manager and if so will Allshare allow my two older LCD's to connect to my PC?

Please Advise....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Share Manager or Allshare
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Share Manager or Allshare
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PC Share Manager or Allshare
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 29, 2011 4:22 PM PDT

CoolHandDude,

Collapse -
If tinyurl doesn't work:
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 29, 2011 4:24 PM PDT

CoolHandDude

Collapse -
Thanks!
by CoolHandDude / April 29, 2011 4:48 PM PDT

Thanks for the links and the clearing up what Allshare actually does. Still strange why the download for PC Share Manager was taken off the Product Model download page.

Collapse -
Thanks! a
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 30, 2011 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

CoolHandDude,

Collapse -
PC Share Manager and Allshare
by gary_iverson / June 3, 2011 10:21 PM PDT

Can you be more clear what the difference between these two are? Should I load both programs?

I am currently only working with a PC (XP) and a Samsung Series 5 51-inch PN51D550 1080p 3 using a wireless router and Allshare. It appears that the TV can now run AllShare as a source, and the PC can also run Allshare.

I can display videos, jpg images, and play music BOTH from the TV side, and on the TV from the PC side.

I am not sure why I need to also load the PC Share Manager. Thank you.

Collapse -
Allshare replaces PC Share Manager
by CoolHandDude / June 4, 2011 5:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
PC Share Manager and Allshare
by gary_iverson / June 4, 2011 9:58 PM PDT

You appear to be correct. Thank you.

Collapse -
Neither Allshare nor Serviio work for me..... empty folders!
by veganreikiangel / March 23, 2012 5:42 PM PDT

I just got a blueray em57 samsung player, and I installed allshare on my laptop to stream from it to the blueray/tv. They are connected and all my folders show up, but they all appear to be empty....all photos all music and all video....completely empty. Ive tried changing all my sharing permissions, creating a firewall exception, decrompressing the files (which I thought would have solved the problem...to no avail) Ive tried manually adding songs to the shared folder panel in allshare on the laptop....no luck at ALL! Im not a technie but I have fairly good skills generally, at resolving my computer issues. What gives here??? ALL my files cant be incompatible!

Collapse -
File Compression
by nostromo99 / September 9, 2012 4:51 AM PDT

File compression is most likely the issue - either copy the files to another drive that is not utilizing compression or remove compression.

Collapse -
Empty Folders
by mkaradas / September 13, 2012 8:31 AM PDT

Hi, I have the same "empty folders" problem. Folders are there, but Content List does not display any files. Yet i can see and play files using TV. Did anyone come up with a solution to this?

Collapse -
Always call it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2012 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Empty Folders

I've lost count of where it's some limit to the file count, the file name is incompatible and it stops listing. There are many rules for this to work but if you call it in and if you are lucky then they walk you through it.

As I can't see the content of the drives, I can't diagnose this one. And sometimes I find illegal content and that creates another problem. We can't work to correct the problem.
Bob

Collapse -
It's File Compression - I Can Almost Guarantee It
by nostromo99 / September 13, 2012 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Always call it in.

I had convinced my sister to use AllShare only to run into this problem, so I looked like a total fool. I've been in IT for almost a decade, so the challenge was on. I started looking through her drives and everywhere she had a problem, compression was turned on.

Now, having said that twice in this forum, there are a couple of things that might lead you to believe that's wrong - check your Folder Options and make sure that your compressed files/drives are set to be blue - you can actually turn that off and you will not have any idea whether they are compressed or not.

The only reason I caught it was because she had not turned that function off within Folder Options.

Or you can run the following test - copy a video folder and file separately to a known non-compressed drive and then share it out - if it works, then you can pretty much be assured that the drive they came from is utilizing compression.

It's an easy fix - turn off compression - might take a while, but easy enough.

Or, copy all your video to another drive that is not utilizing compression.

Is anyone listening ?

Collapse -
I am.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2012 2:08 PM PDT

But imagine you are dealing with everyday folk. All this stuff is great but it's too fiddly for many folk.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks I Think
by nostromo99 / September 13, 2012 5:27 PM PDT
In reply to: I am.

Assuming that fiddly means "too much trouble", then I appreciate the comment.

If they think this is fiddly, try using any free alternative - the setup and configuration is nightmarish.

If you want to pay, then Servio and others might be the direction to head towards.

If you have a PS3, then you might be okay with that DLNA software setup (PS3 DLNA software is free), but some of the others require a great deal of knowledge and additional installs to move forward.

I need to go to bed.....if I had more energy, I would create a walkthrough and invoice Samsung.

Collapse -
so you are the expert
by mkaradas / September 14, 2012 5:21 AM PDT

So, you are the expert and we, all the others, are "not listening" to the master?

My case is not related to compression, as compression is not utilized.This is the reason I asked a question here, hoping to see other possible recommendations.

Collapse -
How about trying this the other way around.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2012 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: so you are the expert

Tell more about the drive, content, file names, etc.

There is another issue as this is CoolHandDude's discussion so it's unwise to jump into an old discussion.

I suggest a top post with all the details and how the call to Samsung support went.
Bob

Collapse -
Try a Couple Other Things
by nostromo99 / September 14, 2012 1:51 AM PDT

Veganreikiangel -

After decompression, I would uninstall and reinstall Samsung AllShare on your PC - use a utility like IOBIT Uninstaller or Revo Uninstaller and make sure you get rid of anything left behind.

Reset your EM-57C completely - here are the instructions:

35276. How To Reset Your Blu-ray Player To Factory Defaults

Reset Your Blu-ray

Power on your Blu-ray player and tune your TV to the input where the Blu-ray player is connected. For example, if the Blu-ray player is connected to HDMI 1 press the TV input/source/line button to tune your TV to HDMI 1.

Remove any disc from the player and then press and hold the Stop button on the front of the player, not the remote, for about 8 seconds or until the front display reads 'SETUP'. 'Resetting all settings to default values...' is displayed on your TV screen as the Blu-ray player powers off and resets.

The Blu-ray player is automatically powered on after the reset and the select Language screen is displayed.

After this, set up everything from the beginning and verify connectivity etc. and try again.

If this does not work, I would attempt connection your EM57 directly your router for a wired/ethernet connection and see if you still have the same issues. I would also turn OFF all associated firewalls - I hate Windows Firewall. Make sure you kill it using Start > Run > services.msc - then set to Disabled.

I use Avast antivirus and none of its shields have affected connectivity but Windows Firewall just might.

Collapse -
OH....Also
by nostromo99 / September 14, 2012 1:56 AM PDT

If Servio did not work and Samsung AllShare did not work.......this points to a configuration issue within your WAN/LAN or as you mentioned a Sharing/Permissions issue -

have you tried looking at the Advanced Settings under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center ?

I would look at Media Streaming Options, Public Folder Sharing and Network Discovery in particular.

I hope this helps.....

Collapse -
This old discussion is now closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2012 5:57 AM PDT

As it would upset members to try to carry a discussion in this old thread, let's close it and start a new one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.