Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

PC repeatedly restarts during boot! help plz

by cbucolo / July 11, 2005 2:51 AM PDT

hi
today i turned on the pc and just before the welcome screen should appear the pc decides to reboot and then keep on rebooting.
i tried in safe mode and it still rebooted. i checked setup at the beginning and no obvious problems. been fine and then all of a sudden doesn't boot.

any help much appreciated.

the system is:
Antec SLK2600 350w - Asus A7V8X-X -Athlon XP2800+ 'Barton' - 512Mb TwinMos PC2700 DDR - Ati Radeon 9800SE @ stock - Maxtor 80Gb 7,200RPM 8MB EIDE - DVD-ROM/CDRW - WINXP Pro SP2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC repeatedly restarts during boot! help plz
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC repeatedly restarts during boot! help plz
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Repeatedly starting PC
by popeyedasailorman / July 11, 2005 7:28 AM PDT

Seems very likely that your installation of XP is corrupt, if it can't find a system file it needs then it will reboot so if the file is missing or corrupt then it will just keep on rebooting over and over, if you have got one, put in the Windows XP CD, boot from it and after a while you should get an option come up that says 'Repair using recovery console' choose this which will then take you to a black screen, then type 'chkdsk' this should help, if not you might need to reinstall XP

Collapse -
or it could be your memory
by lath / July 11, 2005 3:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Repeatedly starting PC

that's going bad. Some motherboard do not do the memory checking on startup. If your memory is from a couple pieces of ram, leave only one of them then turn on your PC. If it works normal, than that piece of ram is good. Repeat this until you find the bad piece.

It could be any other reasons....

Lath

Collapse -
hopefully not...
by cbucolo / July 11, 2005 8:24 PM PDT

i don't think it's the memory because in setup it recognises the 512 module that's installed, i suppose if the memory was the problem it's unlikely that it would recognise the memory.
thanks

Collapse -
Something you learn.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2005 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: hopefully not...

I'll share that the item you wrote is "not good enough" a test to rule out the memory. I don't want to start a debate about it, but write because I've seen systems with good RAM that passes MEMTEST86 fail latter and the memory was the issue. I'm not writing it's your issue, but your parts list is a common site at the repair shop. Here's the short rundown.

1. The dust is removed.
2. Fans and CAPACITORS are checked.
3. A quick "is this system a good one" made. i.e. we see if there is a whopper power supply and the voltages are in spec. Hint: Use a digital voltmeter.
4. The BIOS is updated and we try it again with the BIOS's safest settings.

Bob

Collapse -
response to your points bob
by cbucolo / July 12, 2005 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Something you learn.

hi bob
thanks for the advice,

well i must admit its quite dusty could do with a clean.

as for the fans and capacitors pretty sure they're fine, the fans definately are.

the system meets all requirements i built it myself piece by piece and has been fine for 2yrs+.
(i know the twinmos memory isn't the most reliable but if it wasn't working surely it wouldn't be recognised in the BIOS)

the BIOS is up-to-date if not the most recent the one previous and was always fine before.

i'll double check the capacitors (spelling?) again to make sure and i'll give it a clean see if that helps.

again thanks for the advice peeps, i'll be back if theres no change.

Collapse -
Typos.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2005 12:16 AM PDT

I meant "sight", but here's a picture of the capactor issue we see too often -> http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm

I see you never listed details about your power supply. It would be nice to know the wattage as well as the results of the digital Voltmeter readings. And no, you can't rely on the motherboard bios voltage reports.

Bob

Collapse -
Windows Xp Restart loop
by Lessbeen / March 17, 2010 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Typos.

Had the sam eproblem with my pc in december 2009
On inspection of the motherboard i did find one of the capacitors had blown
replaced it and it is still working fine althoug i'm a bit irritated that i lost my grafix card along with the motherboard as well

Collapse -
Memory
by muller999 / July 12, 2005 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: hopefully not...

I had a PC that would see the memory report it 1,5 gig all over. ound that two sticks were eventually faultym

Collapse -
memory problem and thanks :)
by Nienna_2 / July 29, 2005 12:34 PM PDT

Hi Lath,
I just wanted to thank you for your suggestion of checking the sticks of ram. I have been having many problems with installing and pc restarting and shutting down, I had tried everything, and i was just about to try MS recovery methods when i read your email. I tried removing sticks of ram one by one and the problems stopped!

thank you!!

Nienna_2

Collapse -
Re: memory problem and thanks :)
by lath / July 29, 2005 2:47 PM PDT

You are welcome! Glad to hear that it helps.

Collapse -
no cd boot option???
by cbucolo / July 11, 2005 8:26 PM PDT

i cant find anyway to boot from the cd on this mobo, actually i remember trying to find a way of doing it a while ago but never found it. either i keep looking or maybe could i use the win cd and a xp boot disk(s)??

cheers

Collapse -
try this if you have sp2
by gopinath_sastra / July 12, 2005 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: no cd boot option???

there could be "n" number of reasons for the computer to reboot automatically
may be it could be a hardware or registry and more reasons
so to find why exactly it reboots try to disable the autamatic restart on system failure
tap f8 when the system boots and then in windows advanced options select disabled automatic restart on system failure(this option is available if sp2 is present)
let us what is the blue screen error message you get and we can proceed from there on
if you cant boot from the cd try creating xp boot floppies and boot to recovery console and perform 307545
article 307545 will see u through if this is not an hardware issue

Collapse -
pc still restarting
by mangirehema / April 22, 2010 12:26 AM PDT

reaching recovery console, qn comes which windows installation would you like to log onto <To cancel, Press ENTER>? am stack here..

Collapse -
Try a new post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2010 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: pc still restarting

And remember to tell all.

Here you are replying to a 2005 closed discussion.

Collapse -
Harddrive?
by Sch29 / July 12, 2005 5:35 AM PDT

Had the same sort of thing happen to my PC. Took it to shop. Shop said it was the harddrive that would not let the setup continue. Had to buy a new harddrive. Have a new haddrive and everything operating okay now. I really hope that this has not happened to you.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) all fixed now, formatted and started fresh! thx ppl
by cbucolo / July 19, 2005 6:47 PM PDT
Collapse -
XP boots repeatedly
by TomsterQ2 / November 10, 2009 11:21 PM PST

If anyone else has this problem... I ran across the same problem. Turned out to be a worm that autoruns named browser.exe located in the c:\windows directory.

I removed the drive from the machine. Hooked it up to another PC using and Hard Drive to USB adapter cable kit (part number USB-DSC5) and then scanned the entire drive using MalwareBytes software. www.malwarebytes.com

For some reason, malwarebytes finds the weird worms and malware that other AV/AS products miss.

Once it removed the worm, the machine booted into checkdisk... which I let run to completion... it then rebooted again and this time booted normally.

Hope that helps someone else... seems to be a lot of these repeat boot issues being reported on the net in the last few weeks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.