PC Hardware forum

PC randomly shuts down during games

by futuredrama / March 3, 2012 11:34 PM PST

I'm having an issue where my PC will randomly shut down completely during the middle of playing Rift. It is not during particularly intense situations either... Specs below

PSU: CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 550W (RS-550-PCAR)
CPU: Intel Core i5 2400
Mobo: AsRock H61M-VS
HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 300gb @ 7200rpm, 2x 320gb WD @ 7200rpm
Video: ATI Radeon 5670 512DDR5
RAM: 2x g.skill 2gb ddr3 1333

I've got a dvdrw combo drive and 1 case fan. There is also a 1tb WD external HD plugged in via USB with no external power source...could this be the issue??

I'm fairly certain the 550W should be enough power, but I'm also fairly certain it is the cause of my problem!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC randomly shuts down during games
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC randomly shuts down during games
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Cool your PC
by Willy / March 4, 2012 12:15 AM PST

You have two areas to check: PC resources and the PSU. If you've over-taxed your system resources, sooner or later it will bite you in any way that inconvietant to you. If the PSU is lacking, it will start to falter, know full details of your needs and what your PSU specs are.. HEAT, is the biggest concern during stable game playing and if not taken care of will effect your whole PC. The PSU and GPU are big sources of heat. You stated you have 1 case fan, it appears that isn't enough. Cool your PC better, check results. Please review the many posts here on this forum and search these forums for any tips, hints and clues on similar posts as yours.

tada -----Willy Happy

All Answers

Collapse -
That PSU is 16 Amperes on a +12V plug.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2012 1:27 AM PST

It's a shame it was not a single rail PSU. It could have saved us from discussing why Watts is not the only criteria for picking the PSU.

Collapse -
psu enough?
by futuredrama / March 4, 2012 1:34 AM PST

So are you saying that it should be enough to power the system? When I read the 12v rails I was confused as they were both 16a...which even combined doesn't come close to 550w.

Collapse -
Re-checked the Amperes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2012 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: psu enough?

It seems this card should not be more than 6 Amperes so that's unlikely to be it. Try the old case cover off and a fan at the open case test then if it fails, look in the EVENT VIEWER for clues.

Collapse -
randomly shut down
by BryanChris05 / March 8, 2012 3:07 PM PST

I think specs of your system are fine, You having some trouble with Hardware I have some issue my system shut down during work, I was very much confused regarding this, then one of me friend told me to check your Power cable and might be you don'd have install cooling pad in your System. I found issue with my Power cable once I resolve then never face this problem again.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.