PC Hardware forum

General discussion

PC not recognizing new video card

by ncjain21 / June 22, 2006 1:31 PM PDT

I just recently bought a new video card, an ATI Radeon 9250 256mb AGP card. My old card was an ATI Radeon 7200 64mb AGP card. When I went to switch them out my computer didn't recognize the new one yet it still runs fine with the old one. Basically my monitor never recieves a signal and it gives me the error sound of a long beep followed by 2 short beeps. I hooked the card up to another older computer running a Nvidia GeForce PCI card and it booted up fine. The old computer is 5 years older than mine. I've tried everything I can think of and I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC not recognizing new video card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC not recognizing new video card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
what make/model pc or motherboard
by ramarc / June 23, 2006 1:33 AM PDT

perhaps you have a mobo that can't accept an agp 4x/8x card.

Collapse -
motherboard type
by ncjain21 / June 23, 2006 3:56 AM PDT

I have an Aopen MX34 motherboard. I ran some checks and looked on the site and it said the AGP port was 1x 2x and 4x.

Collapse -
An 8xAGP card will run at highest MOBO AGP speed (like 4x).
by chuckieu / June 23, 2006 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: motherboard type

This is not a problem. What is a problem is, "You haven't installed the new card". You can't until you UNinstall
the old one. Open "Device Manager" and remove old card, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove and remove software for old card. Shut down. Then you can remove old card and install new card. XP (or any other OS) will then see new card when you boot up. A piece of advice, I have noticed
on a lot of hardware (even newer stuff) will not install from XP "Autorun". My ATI 9250 card is one of them. When you put the disc in, stop Autorun and open disc manually.
First read the instructions (may be README file). Important. Sometimes things have to installed in a certain order, and some things may not be necessary for your computer. Hope this helps. chuck

Collapse -
by ramarc / June 24, 2006 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: motherboard type

try booting the pc without any video card (new or old). did you get the same number/sequence of beeps? if so, the mobo isn't happy with the card.

try clearing the cmos (page 13 of your manual) using the procedure below.
1. Turn off the system and unplug the AC power.
2. Remove ATX power cable from connector PWR2.
3. Locate JP14 and short pins 2-3 for a few seconds.
4. Return JP14 to its normal setting by shorting pins 1-2.
5. Connect ATX power cable back to connector PWR2.

now try booting with the new card. hope this helps.

Collapse -
Motherboard not recognizing new ATI card
by cward / June 23, 2006 11:52 PM PDT

When you installed the new card in the old PC and it booted up OK, were you using the same monitor or a different one? It's very rare that a video card and monitor have a compatibility issue (with a particular motherboard) but I have encountered such things on very rare occasions.

Try a different monitor if you have one (this would be the easiest first step to trouble-shoot the problem). If this doesn't work, check to see if your motherboard bios is the latest revision available. If not, update and try again. Does your system bios have options for AGP? If so, make sure you select the right compatibility mode for your new configuration.
Hope this helps...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.