Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

PC Hijacked

by vrygreen / May 13, 2013 8:22 PM PDT

Recently I received a message telling me to update my adobe flash player. Since doing this I've had all kinds of weird things happening. I'm using Windows 7 and IE10.

- When I click on the IE icon on the task bar another icon appears at the other end and hijacks IE. In other words, it disables the original IE icon and takes over. If I delete it and start again it does it again.

- My Norton 360 keeps sending this message: "1119[1].js is not safe and has been removed". It pops up all day.

- My back arrow doesn't work periodically.

- When I click on a link I often get interrupted by the following full page message: "You have been randomly selected to take part in a national survey. Respond now and you may have the chance to win an Iphone5..." Regardless of whether I "OK" it or kill it, it still takes me to the survey. The http is "".

I've run a full Norton scan and also downloaded Superantispyware to remove any malware but the problem persists. I've also disabled a number of add-ons but to no avail. The following add-ons didn't allow me to disable them: Giant Savings Extension, Lyrics Sing.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

vrygreen has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Hijacked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Hijacked
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by vrygreen

Collapse -
Sounds like a bug alright
by lacsr / May 13, 2013 9:36 PM PDT
In reply to: PC Hijacked
Collapse -
by pgc3 / May 14, 2013 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: PC Hijacked

When this occurs what does your homepage read as in Internet Options??? Is there anything alluding to CONDUIT?That is an item that is floating around of late and a prior poster mentioned potential fixes using safe mode. Use safe mode with networking to run these items, another shot would be to try the Revo uninstaller. One of the temporary fixes is as you have done, disabling in the browser (add ons). The reason I mention this is because I've see 3 systems with similar issues and am wondering if what you have contracted is not related to the CONDUIT issue which creates a very similar effect to what you have, a redirect or hijack and is very troublesome to deal with. The flash player update you mention, in the cases I have seen is bogus, it is not Adobe.If you read up on the issue, should it be CONDUIT related, you will see the name Symantec pop up in several of the commentaries as part of the problem, very strange indeed. Best of luck!!

Collapse -
Problem Almost Resolved
by vrygreen / May 14, 2013 5:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Hijack/redirect

Thanks guys for your assistance.

The problem seems to have almost resolved through uninstalling Lyrics Sing.

I still have the problem though of the replicating taskbar IE icon.

First of all, if I close IE the new icon disappears and I'm left with the original which, if I click on it, replicates itself again. If I close IE and remove the original icon from the taskbar, I then have to go to Start and click on Internet Explorer to start the program again. This opens IE and restores the new icon on the taskbar. If, instead of opening IE through Start, I pin IE to the taskbar and click on it, it is replicated again. If I then click on the original icon 3 times, 3 new icons appear one behind the other on the replicated icon, each one with its own home page.

I've deleted the iconcache.db and rebooted but to no avail.

I've also tried Start Task Manager/Processes/explorer.exe/End Processes/File/New Task (Run) but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Collapse -
I am curious
by lacsr / May 14, 2013 8:43 PM PDT

Did you follow the link to Grif's method of malware elimination and do it?

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, Run Those Scans
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 15, 2013 9:37 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.