Windows 7 forum

PC gaming issue

by celticscorpio / November 7, 2012 9:08 AM PST

Hello, I recently purchased Torchlight 1 for my pc, Windows 7/Vista. Ive had my pc shut down repeatedly. I contacted Torchlight tech support, sent Dxdiag and msinfo files, after reviewing, the suggested running in safe mode, but, after trying 2 times, each time, got a dialogue box stating 'Torchlight exe has stopped working". When I email tech support, their eval was the following :

Sounds like this is a system issue rather than a Torchlight issue. The reason I say this is that since the game was started in safe mode only the windows system files are loaded into memory. So when Torchlight.exe attempts to access those files Torchlight cannot because of an issue with your system files. The only options at this point are the following.

1) Create a new user profile and attempt to play Torchlight from that new profile.
2) Depending upon how long it has been since your last fresh install of windows you can attempt to repair windows to fix any system file issues or reformat your PC
3) Contact Windows Technical Support to assist it troubleshooting your hanging application issues.

Calling on techs in site for your feedback, is their an issue with my Windows 7 ?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC gaming issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC gaming issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Any details about the PC available?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: PC gaming issue

The PC shutdown is usually a sign about overheating or PC issues. But there is no other clue to work with.

Collapse -
by celticscorpio / November 7, 2012 11:24 AM PST

Have divx and msinfo, but their very long and detailed, is there a way to add files to post ? Or which specs would help the most/ Below is a brief portion of of divx report:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: NV52 Series
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core QL-64 (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3838MB RAM
Page File: 2078MB used, 7902MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

Let me know of what you need to evaluate problem, appreciate your feedback

Collapse -
That's a laptop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 1:44 PM PST
In reply to: info

The NV52 is not suited for gaming. If you bought it to game, please return it now.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.