Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Pc freeze after idle for 15min, -.-"

by Ahm3dS / March 5, 2009 9:29 PM PST

Hello,

i dunno but if i leave my pc idle for 10-15 mins i found it freezing and i have to restart everytime sometimes i get BSoD screen with this :

kernel_stack_inpage_error
0x00000077 ( 0xc000000E, 0x00000000, 0x00467000 )

also, the safe mode not working anymore ,,, and i tried to run the chkdsk too but its stop at 8% Sad with unreadable file error.

i checked the event viewr on controll panel:

Error: DCOM

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service usnjsvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{98AC5C33-EE18-4EC2-BE25-3B16EE8F75F1}

Error: iaStor

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Warnning: disk

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

also my antivirus program (estet nod32) shows me a problem on startup:

Error communicating with NOD32 kernel service

so pls help me to slove these problems Sad ....

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pc freeze after idle for 15min, -.-"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pc freeze after idle for 15min, -.-"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's focus on that hard error.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 10:02 PM PST

"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation."

Hard disk errors can propagate, cause other errors. I've seen people chase down the other errors but new errors take their place and it never ends.

If this was in the shop we'd clone that drive onto a new hard disk and try again.

The usual cleaning happens along the way -> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6240575-1.html
Bob

Collapse -
Also saw similar errors
by ac1818 / July 13, 2010 4:39 PM PDT

I saw these errors in event viewer. I also experience freezes where I was forced to shut down computer. Not sure whether this is linked but I also had a problem with the registry begin corrupt and a got a message about c:/windows/system32/config/system or something like that.

"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation."

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.

Do these 2 errors above refer to my fairly new hard drive failing?. Tried doing a Western Digital Diagnostic Lifguard Test which said PASS. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) And I did a SeaTools Short&Long Test which both said PASS
by ac1818 / July 14, 2010 9:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2010 11:56 PM PDT

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D"

This can be a number of things. Such as a bum hard drive cable, an overtaxed power supply, a controller chip issue, old BIOS or a motherboard driver that needs updating.

It's great the WD tests passed but it still has the "controller error" which is a bad thing.

Sorry but since you are not posting make, model and details no one can see if there are updates for the suspect areas.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, here are the details
by ac1818 / July 16, 2010 10:39 AM PDT

Thanks for your response Bob

Asrock COnroe 945G-DVI
Western Digital 1TB SATA2 HDD
3GB RAM
2.66GHz Pentium D Processor

ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/ConRoe945G-DVI.pdf

As a mentioned I did a SeaTOOLs Test Long, and Short as well as a WD test which was passed.

This error has gone from event viewer from the last day. Instead I am getting side by side errors. Forgot to mention pc freezes at times and then I am forced to turn of the computer at the power. Then HDD is not getting recognized so I need to take out an reattached the cables for my Sata hard drive.

One more thing I also received a Kernal Stack Inpage Error

Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 12:07 PM PDT

Wasn't that board used in some HP machines? If it is an HP, the make and model would suffice.

Collapse -
No, I am pretty sure the PC was built.
by ac1818 / July 16, 2010 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Just checking.

Definitely not a HP

Collapse -
There were other makers that used that board.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 1:33 PM PDT

I'd hate to supply you the wrong link. What make was this machine?

Collapse -
Thats's hard to say. I told you it was built
by ac1818 / July 16, 2010 2:50 PM PDT

It is an Asrock motherboard. I gave you the link of the motherboard manual in my previous post.
Is this what you need or did I miss understand you.

Collapse -
Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not sure
by ac1818 / July 16, 2010 3:04 PM PDT

Well as I have a motherboard booklet I presume it is built.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 3:07 PM PDT

I can't find where you noted it was a built machine until your last post. I may have missed it so I asked.

Asrock's page for this board is at http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=CONROE945G-DVI

If you installed the INF driver ver:8.1.1.1001 then it should be fine. If you installed XP SP1 then it's very important to install SP2 or SP3 very soon.

Is the BIOS current?
Bob

Collapse -
No Worries
by ac1818 / July 16, 2010 3:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

I have XP PRO Service Pack 3

I have not updated the Bios though which I didn't do because a friend told me it was not advisable and it was not necessary.

I have the Inf Driver ver 8.1...

Collapse -
The problems I've run into
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 3:35 PM PDT
In reply to: No Worries

With the new larger drives have me updating the BIOS. You'll have to ask Asrock if the old bios version is ok here.

Collapse -
Ok
by ac1818 / July 16, 2010 4:39 PM PDT

Well the Bios supports SATA2 and it had no problems recognizing my hard drive. This problem has only come of recent so I am quite sure that a Bios update will not be needed. I had no problems with my previous installations of Windows XP with this motherboard

I looked at the link you gave me and the Bios updates don't incorporate support for large drives.

Do you think I may be forced to do a reinstall of Windows XP

Thanks

Collapse -
" I had no problems with my previous installations of Window
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 11:34 PM PDT

" I had no problems with my previous installations of Windows XP with this motherboard "

Ahh the old "it worked before" reply. Here's the problem. That previous installation is nothing like today's installation. Microsoft, your antivirus and more have changed Windows in ways that confuse many.

In short, the "it worked previously" only serves to slow folk down to fixing their machines. I know to give folk time to research more and figure it out.

But let's look at the "no problems with previous installations" and see what else may have changed. Besides Microsoft's updates what else has occurred? I find many run into this with today's malware.
Bob

Collapse -
Oh Ok
by ac1818 / July 17, 2010 10:23 AM PDT

I was linking that towards the upgrading of the BIOS.

So what options do I have now?

This error (an error has detected ...) has gone from event viewer from the last day. Instead I am getting side by side errors.

The pc freezes at times and then I am forced to turn of the computer at the power. Then HDD is not getting recognized so I need to take out an reattached the cables for my Sata hard drive.

Collapse -
If a SATA drive is not being found by XP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2010 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh Ok

The good news is that issue has some thousands of posts. If the BIOS shows the drive then review how your machine gets XP to support SATA. Some machines require a BIOS setting, others have to use a floppy with drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
I solved this issue before
by ac1818 / July 17, 2010 11:01 AM PDT

Bob, you helped solve this issue in a previous thread a couple of months ago. I worked it out and Western Digital told me only a jumper setting is needed to achieve this so this would be unrelated.

Collapse -
XP sata support with a jumper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2010 11:12 AM PDT

I'm interested. The only jumper I found was the SATA 1, SATA 2 speed jumper. I am very familiar with the BIOS setting and the XP Floppy install but what jumper would this be?
Bob

Collapse -
That's the new 4,096 sector issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2010 11:25 PM PDT

The EARS drives have 4K sectors which XP and other OSes don't support. This jumper addresses that but BEWARE you may experience sluggish write speeds.

This is not a jumper that gives XP SATA support but addresses a change in drive technology that is now being fielded.

-->> Full disclosure. I am involved with embedded linux and more and know the 4K sector topic all too well. While interesting it is not the cause of the above from what I can see.

Bob

Collapse -
Just out of curiosity
by ac1818 / July 18, 2010 4:07 PM PDT

I understand what you are saying which is an interesting topic but can I overcome sluggish write speeds (don't notice it a lot)?

Anyway back to the topic do you know the problem of the issue that I am experiencing? You might have to go back to see the 4 and 5th posts and the motherboard manual.

Collapse -
About 4K Sectors.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2010 7:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Just out of curiosity
Collapse -
The picture is swinging towards a possible issue with
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2010 7:49 PM PDT

That new hard drive with the 4K sector and the advanced format.

There are folk in the circles I run (embedded Linux and more) that predicted some issues like this one.

To test it out I'd use a hard drive with the old 512 byte sectors.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok
by ac1818 / July 18, 2010 8:50 PM PDT

I thought you said that was unrelated in your previous post.

Well this is my old Sata hdd. I have other ide hdds which I could try but I don't know what would be best.

Would an IDE HDD work? I am not sure whether they have 512 byte sectors.

And may I please ask for your opinion on the other possibilities so I can try them as well.

Thanks

Collapse -
Let's get back to basics.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2010 8:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok

XP and SATA are sometimes a troublesome mix. Your old hard drive doesn't sound that old because 4K sectors are rather new.

So this is what we know. XP came out long before SATA and the drivers, BIOS for getting SATA to work with XP is in short, not working in all cases. Most but not all. You have posted controller errors and as we know the 4K sector is going to require said controller to know about this or else it may error.

This is why I suggest moving back to an old 512 byte sector drive. Even an IDE drive may be the right move.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes I understand the situation
by ac1818 / July 18, 2010 9:08 PM PDT

Thanks for your opinion Bob
Those issues have not come up ever since so I think it could be a one off.

Can you pls read the part about the freezing. That is the problem that is continuing to occur. I will copy it into this post to make it easier

"As a mentioned I did a SeaTOOLs Test Long, and Short as well as a WD test which was passed.

This error has gone from event viewer from the last day. Instead I am getting side by side errors. Forgot to mention pc freezes at times and then I am forced to turn of the computer at the power. Then HDD is not getting recognized so I need to take out an reattached the cables for my Sata hard drive.

One more thing I also received a Kernal Stack Inpage Error"

Thanks a lot

Collapse -
Windows does odd things
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2010 9:13 PM PDT

On disk errors. Since the controller error is noted in the top posts it is where I would focus my efforts as we know Windows coughs and dies on an IO error.

So far I don't see any other reason to look elsewhere. I'd fix what is showing up and while we could discuss heatsinks, compound and more the clues given so far point to the same old XP, SATA and controller ills.
Bob

Collapse -
The freezing seems to be main problem
by ac1818 / July 18, 2010 9:20 PM PDT

i thought it may be linked. However the freezing is the most annoying thing with the computer being forced to shutdown and the hard drive stopping becoming recognised.

Do you think it is linked?

Collapse -
Oh Sorry, Didn't see your post
by ac1818 / July 18, 2010 9:44 PM PDT

I see. Thanks for your help. I will research on 4 sector drivers and try the IDE option

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.