Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Help

General discussion

"PC Entering Power Saving Mode" on Startup.

by nononononon / December 21, 2006 11:11 PM PST

Whenever I start up the computer, the monitor shows "PC Entering Power Saving Mode." There is no POST screen, just that message. It even appears when the computer is off. Is there any idea of what this could be?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "PC Entering Power Saving Mode" on Startup.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "PC Entering Power Saving Mode" on Startup.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Twuold be nice if you
by Ray Harinec / December 22, 2006 1:19 AM PST

told us something about your system as the red message requests. Is it a laptop?? A desktop? et al?

How can a message appear on a monitor if the system is off?? Your system is in some sort of power Management mode. Can you get into the BIOS?? If so, disable all the power mgt options.

Collapse -
Here
by nononononon / December 22, 2006 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: Twuold be nice if you

It's a desktop. I cannot get into BIOS. POST screen does not appear. I do not know how it appears on the monitor whhen it is off, but it does.

Collapse -
As a minimum there MUST be power
by Ray Harinec / December 22, 2006 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Here

applied to the monitor!!! Is it a LCD or CRT type monitor? Where does it get plugged into AC Power??

Probably, the first thing to try is to reset the BIOS to default settings by moving the jumper to the reset position and after some time return it to the normal position. Unfortunately I don't know how long to put it in the reset position and whether or not to do power up for a moment with the jumpers in the reset position.

The other way to reset to default is to remove the CMOS battery for at least ten minutes and then plug it back in.

You certainly didn't waste any words telling us about your system. What make, what model, what CPU, how long it worked wqith no problem, what were some of the last things that you were doing. etc, etc.

Collapse -
could be
by seademyer / December 22, 2006 6:18 AM PST

when ever I have seen that message it has been because of poor connection of the video cable and the video card. Absence of a video signal will cause the monitor to show your error message. Unplug and reinsert the video card, the cable connector, try another monitor. Good luck

Collapse -
Same thoughts...
by John.Wilkinson / December 22, 2006 9:06 AM PST

Unfortunately detailed instructions cannot be provided without first knowing what computer we are dealing with. (The make/model would be extremely helpful here.) Regardless, though, I would recommend unplugging your computer before removing proceeding. If you don't removing the CMOS battery will likely have no effect and depending on the computer changing the jumper setting while the system is plugged in may result in damage to the motherboard. With it unplugged 30 seconds should be sufficient for changing the jumper setting, after which you can restore it to the 'normal' position, plug it back in, and boot.

Let us know.
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.