Desktops forum

Question

PC DVD Drawer Opens Uncontrollably

by CarloMas / January 27, 2013 10:42 PM PST

I have a 5-year old Dell Dimension E521 with an internal DVD+-RW TS-H653A SCSI CdRom Device and I run Vista. The empty disc drawer opens for no reason and when I shut it it just keeps opening. It almost always begins happening at PC startup (before I'm even in Windows) and continues sporadically no matter what programs I'm running (mostly IE and Word). I've run AVG, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware (all free versions) and defragmenter, with no change. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC DVD Drawer Opens Uncontrollably
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC DVD Drawer Opens Uncontrollably
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Two steps
by bob b / January 27, 2013 10:58 PM PST

Unplug the data cable from the back of the optical unit.

If it still opens......replace the optical unit.....20 buck item.

Collapse -
Answer
may not be fixable
by Willy / January 27, 2013 11:34 PM PST

Since this happens before you even get to windows, that suggests a h/w problem. The other poster is right, just replace the drive, you probably have no recourse to fix it. I would think this is a broken or jammed sw. at tray door. Since, this is intermittent, then likely a broken sw.. You can reseat the data cable if you like or replace. Be sure if you buy new, replace with similar type drive as in EIDE or SATA type. You could borrow an used drive and see if it repeats action.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I need a little more info.
by CarloMas / January 29, 2013 12:42 AM PST
In reply to: may not be fixable

What is a sw? And I see no cable relating to the DVD drive; it's internal. Are you all talking about taking the PC apart?

Collapse -
sw in this context is SoftWare.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2013 12:50 AM PST

Yes, to unplug the data cable from the drive you have to remove the cover on 99% of desktop PCs.

Collapse -
Open case
by Willy / January 29, 2013 11:05 AM PST

In this instance, sw = switch. My reference for s/w = software h/w = hardware

Dell E521 is a desktop PC, then you need to crack it open. Dell provides the info to do this, just surf for your model# at Dell support or enter your service tag# to get the required info. You need to know, because if you have to replace the drive, that's the action you'll later do. It's not hard IMHO, at all just be careful and take due diligence.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.