PC Applications forum

General discussion

PC driver update utility recommendation needed :)

by Mobidoy / August 16, 2010 2:15 AM PDT

Hello all,

I am looking for a driver update utility that I could recommend to some poeple I am helping. The thing is, I am giving support free to many friends, family and such but, with that many, I would have to spend most of my time doing a round to update everyone has none of them can hold on and not fall in the abyss when I explain them how, where and why to keep their drivers updated.

I have given Driver Genius Pro a go and found it to do a good job so far but, I have searched a bit and found there are a lot of those out there (radarSync, DriverDoctor, DriverMax, Drivercure etc...) so, I would like to have recommendation from you peeps.

Thanx Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC driver update utility recommendation needed :)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC driver update utility recommendation needed :)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure we could recommend anything.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 16, 2010 8:47 PM PDT

We have had posts in these forums where members have used such 'driver update' utilities and they have ended up with unworkable systems.

What you are doing voluntarily is great, and I am sure your family and friends appreciate the help, but I just wonder if it is so necessary so often.

There's an old maxim, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", (sorry, ain't is quaint old English for isn't). It applies to driver updates as well. If a system is working well, why does it need driver updates? If it is not working well then if there is a specific need for an updated driver, (because the old driver is faulty), then we download and install just the one specific driver file and install that, otherwise we diagnose the problem and fix it in other ways.

One thing I can safely say is that we never use Windows own driver update checker to check for updates. Windows doesn't do that very well. But as to the others, RadarSync was known to cause problems some time ago and I have heard nothing that suggests it is any better now.

The hard way is usually best. If the problem is driver based, find the updated driver yourself and install it.

Sorry, I don't mean to be dismissive, I just think that you are creating a lot of unnecessary work for yourself.

Collapse -
Driver updates, etc.
by Phil Crase / August 16, 2010 11:39 PM PDT

I agree with Mark, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Unless there are issues specific to a driver or drivers, let it be, too many cooks can spoil the soup, as they say.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.