Windows 7

Resolved Question

PC Cleaner Pro

by R_Carruthers-24463069126505916219845391569699 / January 20, 2012 3:40 AM PST

Anyone have any experience with PC Cleaner Pro and their tech support. Thanks

R_Carruthers-24463069126505916219845391569699 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Cleaner Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Cleaner Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by R_Carruthers-24463069126505916219845391569699

Collapse -
I locked your other post
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 20, 2012 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: PC Cleaner Pro

No need for two posts.

What is the web site for this software? I did a Google search for PC Cleaner Pro and my WOT, (Web of Trust), Firefox security add-on gave me a list of red "warning entries, so I am reluctant to try any of them.

We rarely, if ever, recommend "Optimizers, Registry cleaners" and such in these forums. They can cause more problems than they solve.

Why do you feel you need this software?

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
I think they are a scam company
by pdemeo / January 23, 2012 5:27 AM PST

Somehow PC Cleaner Pro got on my daughter's computer. I'm not sure whether it was a pop up ad that she accidentally clicked on. There was a window on her computer from PC Cleaner Pro that said that the computer had 2706 problems and had a button to "Fix All". I was afraid to uninstall the program since I did not know anything about the company and I was afraid to get a virus. So, I researched it on my other computer. It seemed like a legitimate company, so I went to uninstall the program and received a pop saying to call 855-881-1343. It would not allow me to uninstall the programs in the Control Panel. When I called the number, their representative Kesav Dutt answered and told me that he needs to take control of my computer because it is in critical condition and he'll need to uninstall the program himself. This was just a way for him to scare me into thinking that I need their services. He clicked on the start button and ran "eventvwr" which showed that there were 19,409 errors and said "Oh my God! Do you see how many errors you have on this computer. Then he continued to go to different areas of the computer repeating Oh My God, your system is going to crash. He told me that I was wasting my money on Norton 360 because they don't have Microsoft Certified Technicians, he told me that my Norton 360 was not working properly because it was the version for XP, not Windows 7, he told me that I had a Facebook Virus, and many other things to scare me. He told me that he can fix everything for $399.96 for a 2 year subscription. I told him that was the price for my computer and I can just buy another one. He told me that I would still have the problem with another because the IP address would be the same. I told him that I will call him back when I speak to my husband and he said that it may be too late because my computer may not last that long. So, he was going to call me back 4 hours later when my husband returned. In the meantime, I called Norton support who also took charge of my computer. Norton 360 was up to date and he informed me that even if I had the XP version, that it would still work with Windows 7. He uninstalled the PC Cleaner Pro for me. This process could not have been completed by an ordinary computer user. I did not pay the $396 price, but I'm sure that other people have and I think a class action lawsuit should be started against this company for the scare tactics that they use. I'm a pretty savvy computer user and he almost had me convinced to pay the money to fix the problem. I'm mad at myself for allowing him to take control of my computer, but I did watch his every step and don't think that he did anything malicious. A Norton tech went through the computer afterwards and ran various clean up programs, so I think I'm okay. He just returned my call and I told him that I think it's he's just scamming me, but he had me run eventvwr myself and I saw the errors, but I don't think this is legitimite. I would steer clear of this company and want to warn people about them.

Collapse -
An interesting post
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 9:48 PM PST

and Thank You.

That clinches the advice I would give to the original poster and others; STAY AWAY from PC Cleaner Pro!

Mark

Collapse -
Another bad experience
by rhillis41 / December 28, 2012 3:31 PM PST

I installed PC cleaner pro 2013 today. After running it once my monitor would not display properly. It seemed to have lost its driver. I called the tech support line.they said the driver must have been in the wrong place so the cleaner probably removed it. AND they said it could be fixed by their Microsoft certified technicians online for $250. I asked for a supervisor. He said they could fix it for $100. I refused, said they caused the damage and they should fix it, he refused. I then reverted to my latest restore point. Problem solved. Free.

Collapse -
Yep me too
by NotGeeky / January 4, 2013 9:47 PM PST

I just uninstalled it myself, found out how to clean the drive and re-installed Win 7 from inside the drive itself, no disk, no nothing. I didn't know, theres a copy of the system built into the hard drive. "Yes" though, we must have had the same guy or they all read off of the same script. It sounds like they are Bombay or somewhere like that.
"Oh, only a Certified Microsoft Technician, which we are, can fix your problems." BullS**t. I fixed mine, all by my lonesome. Yeah it took a couple of hours I really didn't want to spend, but the guy I was talking to wanted $200.00
Oh did I feel great after doing it myself. Now Comcast is pullling the same crap. They have a $10. program, a $90., $130., $199. program. The longer your on the phone with them the higher the price is too.. Once someone walks you through step by step how to fix these pieces of crap, you just want to smack yourself after laying out all the money we do. It's disgusting. You follow prompts for about ten minutes, then the software does the rest. You don't need disks in a lot of the cases, I'm not saying all, but almost every issue I had, not one disk was needed. But you have to know where in the system the fix is, thats the trick. Thats where that $200.00 comes from, and these mutts know exactly where to go and what to do, where it takes us, that don't know, where to find it in the system.
I don't know what that event viewer meant, but to me I think every transaction is all that is, it's just a recording of everything you do from day one. Save yourself the money, invest some time, sit and play, go into every program you can find. That "Black Screen, Blue Screen, believe it or not, is your friend. You just have to know what to do with them. They to are part of the system, they are not put up there by anything sent to you, they are part of a message built into the system. Yeah you might have a virus or your hard drive just might be shot. These things don't last forever........In the last couple of weeks, I've learned alot on the scam of these comps. Believe me, I am far from knowing it all. I've been online for years, and from the little I've seen and walked through, I've learned these things can be fixed by ourselves, without $200.00 charges. Thats just legally robbing us. If you know how to use a computer than you know how to fix them. There's no great wizardly knowledge to know...........

Collapse -
Answer
PC Cleaner Pro
by dfpierce1 / January 4, 2013 6:08 AM PST

I bought it and have worse problems that when I purchased it. I have been fightng this program since I received it and the PC Cleaner people won't talk with me. I paid just short of $80 and can't get a penny back. There has to be better ways to fix your computer - and maybe even cheaper ($80 for nothing is expensive).

Collapse -
Answer
Yes I have
by NotGeeky / January 4, 2013 9:24 PM PST

It sounds like a strange operation, I let them takover my computer and all they do is tell you whats wrong, don't fix anything but would if you pay them two hundred dollars. I bailed out of that real fast. It took me time but I crashed my notebook on purpose, then I found out how to re-download the system without the disk (Win 7) now everything is brand new. No $200, no nothing. A couple of hours later and I now have another brand new notebook. These companies make everything sound so complicated for the bucks they try to suck out of you. Anytime anything happens I learned, it's mostly software. Software you physically can't see or break, but there are ways for it to fix itself. Thats what I did. It took me more time than I wanted to spend, but when you don't know where to go, you have to keep playing with it, until you find it, but it's built right into your system....Now I'm working on my desktop to do the same thing, but thats "XP", a little bit more challenging, but I'll find that one to. That one was built by a private vendor though

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.