Computer Newbies

General discussion

PC Audio won't play through connected Samsung LCD TV

by robert812003 / February 16, 2010 10:22 PM PST

Hey everyone, I've connected a Samsung LCD television to my friends PC and even though everything seems properly connected we can't get any audio from the PC to play through the television.

The connections are a DVI cable from his graphics card to the TVs DVI/HDMI1 connector for video. For audio we ran a 3.5mm to RCA converter cable from his audio card output to his DVI/HDMI audio In port on the back of the TV. Though when we switch to DVI/HDMI1 on the TV all we get is the video... If we plug generic speakers into the same audio port on the PC all audio comes through flawlessly.

http://www.cablesdirect.com/prodimages/CC399-12_LR.jpg

I've read that if the video is taken through DVI/HDMI, audio is expected to run through the same channel so the TV shuts off the other inputs. We really have spent a lot of money lately on trying to get the two connected, so getting a whole Media Center PC to act as a receiver just for the audio is way out of the question.

Does anyone know if there is a way for me to get the audio playing through the television on the cheap? Currently I have a DVI to HDMI converter on the end of the cable being plugged into the TV.
http://www.jr.com/monster-cable/pe/MC_VAHDMIDVISL2/
Is there any other converter that I can get that would provide me with some work around option?

There have been so many problems with this lately that it's really getting on our nerves. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Audio won't play through connected Samsung LCD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Audio won't play through connected Samsung LCD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2010 11:15 PM PST

It should be easier. But DVI doesn't carry audio so you have to find another way. Since the exact model of the samsung eludes me I can't see if there is a setting to take the audio from the audio in jack when there is video on HDMI.
Bob

Collapse -
My bad
by robert812003 / February 17, 2010 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: You're right.
Collapse -
Link to manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2010 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: My bad
Collapse -
Thats my problem
by robert812003 / February 17, 2010 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: Link to manual.

I used HDMI port 1 and connected the stereo 3.5mm to RCA cable between the PCs sound card and the DVI Audio In jack right beneath it. I still don't receive any sound. It says on that page that audio may not output if the DVI cable is connected to hardware supporting HDMI 1.3 or older. Is it possible that my graphics card is messing it up because its too old?

Collapse -
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2010 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: Thats my problem

DVI has no audio capability so that's not a factor here. You need to test if your cable is working by finding another audio source to see if your cable and TV is good.
Bob

Collapse -
Alright
by robert812003 / February 17, 2010 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: I'm going with no.

I'll have to test it out by plugging something else in the red and white ports while the HDMI is turned on, like you say.

It really should work fine as its only a stereo 3.5mm to RCA converter - http://www.cablesdirect.com/prodimages/CC399-12_LR.jpg

Connected with - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/529402-REG/Monster_Cable_127780_Phonolink_Gold_Female.html

To a Stereo Audio cable running to the TV - http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-RCA-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B000UZC35K

I'll test it out when I get a chance, but if someone has any other ideas please let me know.

Collapse -
Alright
by robert812003 / February 24, 2010 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: I'm going with no.

I've gotten around to testing it. I plugged my Cable boxes audio cables into the port and switched over, and still the same problem. I'm not receiving any audio through the DVI audio port while switched onto the DVI/HDMI1 channel. Any ideas? Seems that my cable properly works, I'm just getting nadda out of the TV.

Collapse -
Looking dark.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2010 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: Alright

It's time to have the maker come in and fix it for you.
Bob

Collapse -
DVI can carry audio
by wolfadex / September 12, 2012 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: You're right.

Some video cards do send audio through DVI. I have a Nvidia GeForce 460. Other models do as well. rbreeze has the correct solution down below. You have to set the name of HDMI 1 to DVI.

Collapse -
Checked a few Samsung TVs and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2012 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: DVI can carry audio

No DVI audio unless we use the audio input jack. Given this is very model specific you'll have to deal with this on a case by case basis. I know to not assure folk it will work in all cases.
Bob

Collapse -
samsung says it is a problem with the pc card
by dsteakley / December 30, 2010 2:35 AM PST

I am having the same problem. are you using a dvi to hdmi converted cable? i found this post: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=119385&modelname=UN55B7100WF&modelcode=&session_id=LR2dPlhp6n1vlgtwnpBGZZhkBCTyWB1zJnfXZ0MDVFQWQv993PYZ!383328342!1761676444!7501!-1!NONE!1259435613024 which gives a plausible answer,that the video card is outputting a false audio signal, which causes the tv to ignore the audio signal from the 3.5mm input. supposedly updated drivers for the video card may be available to cure the problem. even better would be if samsung provided a way to tell the TV which audio signal to use. i get random popping noises, which bolsters my acceptance of the idea that the video card is outputting spurious audio signals.

Collapse -
Editing "Source" name to enable 3.5mm PC/DVI AUDIO IN jack
by rbreeze / January 18, 2011 5:19 AM PST

I have a Samsung Plasma HDTV model PN58B850, and I too wasn't getting any sound on the TV with my laptop computer connected / set up per:

1) HDMI/DVI cable between laptop and TV input HDMI1/DVI
2) 3.5mm Male to 3.5mm Male audio cable connected between laptop headphone/line out jack and TV 3.5mm PC/DVI AUDIO IN jack.
3) Source on TV set to HDMI1/DVI "----" (without inverted commas)

After spending about an hour on the phone with Samsung Suppport, the sound issue was finally sorted out by my editing the name of the HDMI1/DVI input on my Samsung HDTV as follows:

Before the edit: HDMI1/DVI "----" (without inverted commas)
After the edit: HDMI1/DVI "DVI PC" (without inverted commas)

As soon as I edited the name of HDMI1/DVI to include "DVI PC" rather than "----", the sound from my laptop began playing through the TV speakers. It was difficult to believe that simply editing the Source name would fix the sound issue, but that's exactly what happened.
Hope this is of some help to others facing the same or similar problem.

Collapse -
thankyou
by ben4444 / August 22, 2011 9:45 PM PDT

This advise worked perfectly for me. Thank you so much. Very frustrating after testing all sorts of cables/VGA and getting no where until I found this forum.

Collapse -
Still having issues w audio
by mnbvclkjh / February 23, 2013 4:17 AM PST

Hello,

I tried this trick and I still can't get it to work. Any other ideas?

Here is a summary of my situation:

I am trying to connect my macbook6,1 to my UE32EH5000k Samsung tv.

Video
- No problems.
- Using a mini display port to hdmi convertor and then hdmi cable from the convertor to the hdmi port 1 on the back of the tv.
- The mac recognises the tv and I can easily interact visually with the television.

Audio
- This is the problem.
- No audio is played out of the tv's speakers.
- Because my macbook is version 6, it is not enabled to transmit audio through the hdmi cable. As such, I have had to connect the audio from the mac to the tv by way of a 3.5mm to RCA convertor, ie a connection from the headphone socket of my macbook to the red and white audio inputs of the back of the tv.
- I have tested the tv's speakers using the sound check on the tv and there is no problem with them.
- I have also tested the headphone socked of the mac using my headphones and there is no problem with the headphone connection.
- I read your advice that I may be able to overcome this by changing the name of the "source" on the tv from "hdmi1/dvi ----" to "hdmi/dvi1 dvipc". I have tried this and it has not solved the problem.

All help massively appreciated.

Collapse -
Again. Since DVI does not assure audio.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 1:29 AM PST

There's the problem.

If you happened to jump into the wrong or old discussion, no problem. Start your own new discussion in case this discussion and its answers don't apply.
Bob

Collapse -
Same issue - solution
by SuperGeek81 / January 19, 2011 1:36 AM PST

I had the same issue, but i just went the other route.
I used a VGA cable and the same audio input and everything worked correctly.

Troubleshooting tip:
Put on a song, play it in loop, so it is on repeat,
go through the inputs and see which one is playing the audio. See if that number say video 7 has the option for the hdmi connector. If it doesnt, then chances are it does not support the connection in which you are trying to use. My samsung only supports the 3.5mm input to be used with the vga connection.

Collapse -
some displayport to HDMI converters will disable sound
by alistairmcclymont / September 26, 2011 2:32 AM PDT

I've tried using the displayport to connect to a ue405520 using a displayport to HDMI converter. I have 2 converters, one allows sound to be transmitted down the HDMI, but this doesn't work on my mac (only very recent models allow this), the other one doesn't. But the converter that allows sound renders the audio input inactive, the other converter works fine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.