Laptops forum

General discussion

Pavilion dv7 boot issue

by loteknate / December 24, 2009 8:46 AM PST

I own a HP Pavilion dv7. It is almost 13 *months* old. When it was 11 months old it wouldn't boot and I ran the hard drive test in BIOS, it failed. So HP overnighted a new hard drive.

16 days after the warranty expired it started having a new problem. Over 50% of the time when I turn it on (or have to reboot) it sits with all lights on but doesn't boot up. All the lights thay normally come on when you turn it on are on. But it doesn't boot. I hear the DVD drive spin up but don't hear the hard drive. The screen is black. The CAPS and NUM lock lights blink at the same time one every couple seconds I think. I didnt time it.

Eventually the laptop will boot. I am writing this post on the dv7. This morning I turning it on at 9-ish. At 12-ish it decided to bring windows up.

I called three computer repair places. One place said this was commonplace with the dv7, the motherboard was toast. Another guy said he could replace it but it wouldn't be worth it. I paid $650 for this laptop Nov 2008.

Another problem I have found is sometimes when the cord is not plugged in and I put it back on the battery icon will say "plugged in not charging". I turn it off and unplug the cord, take out the battery and tut the back together and reboot. Usually it starts working.

Sad part is I really like this laptop. Hard drive is slow (5400). But besides that, it isn't a bad one. Not a powerhouse. But it was doing fine till it started taking 3 hours to decide to boot.

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pavilion dv7 boot issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pavilion dv7 boot issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ask HP to extend the warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2009 11:38 AM PST

PAY THE MAN TOO. Call it in, ask to buy another year of warranty.

Collapse -
Pavilion dv7 boot issue
by loteknate / December 24, 2009 11:53 AM PST

I forgot to mention when I spoke to HP now they can't even get their story straight on how much it would be to fix it. one tech said $99 for a new year phone support but add $50 more and that will cover hardware for the year. I talked to another HP tech later and he said no to fix it @ HP would be over 4 hundred dollars if it is the motherboard.

That is when I started calling local shops.

Collapse -
Sadly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2009 10:10 PM PST

I would have taken the 149 offer on the spot and held that person to it.

But I've heard this story too many times. The owner waffles on the offer and then they can't get it again. Figure in the near 500 and up if it is that motherboard.

Tip: Keep a call log when you call in. Take names, extension numbers and when you get a deal like 149 for support and hardware, pay up fast.

Sorry to read another story about a failed machine out of warranty. The lessons continue on the expense of laptop repairs.
Bob

Collapse -
COMMOM PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! = RECALL!!!!!!!!!!!
by es1040 / March 11, 2010 12:00 AM PST

If this is such a common problem with the HP DV7 Pavillion Laptop, it should be recalled by HP. I will never buy another HP Laptop and will advise all people I know to never buy another HP product. My laptop crashes in the exact same way only one month after warranty expired. A 13 month old laptop that has never been dropped, never been mishandled that crashes in the same way, at the same point in it's lifespan is NOT simply a common problem, IT IS A MANUFACTURER'S DEFECT. It is such a total joke to be offered only one solution of mailing back for the LOW price of $450, when the machine cost $800. I am completely disappointed with HP support and their shoddy products.

Collapse -
Mine is also screwed about 1 month after warranty expired
by fordendk / January 27, 2011 2:35 AM PST

The first thing that screwed up was the VGA port. Just stopped working for no good reason. I have treated this thing like a new born baby. Then with no mishandling or good reason the battery-not-charging syndrome pops up.

I have tried everything short of pulling it apart. Just before this happened there was something small rattling around in the back of it. The rattling stopped then so did the battery charging. I read an article somewhere that they have a problem with the power lead battery termination and you can solder it in a different way to fix it.

This is the very last HP item we will ever buy. It is also the 2nd HP item in a row for me to screw up just after warranty expiry when it has hardly been used. The previous item was a HP C6100 color printer... what a piece of crap that turned out to be. Just stopped and jammed up totally inside for no good reason. The HP support peoplke told me that I should buy a new printer from them. I laughed at them and called them morons... for that is exactly what they are.

HP craptops and printers... no thanks!

Collapse -
HP Laptop DV7 3152ca
by robsl / February 12, 2011 8:15 AM PST

I have had for about 6 months and hard drive and main board went. Shiped back for repair and got back but in 1 week started to act up again, shiped back again ( repaced main board and hard drive again) and got back but the 1st day was crashing and freezing up so with the help of a technician tried to us the recovery disks they supplied with the new hard drive, have tried many times but would not work so I wanted a new laptop as felt I had a lemon. Contacted again after many e mails and calls agreeed to a new laptop but suggested 2 models a 15 inch for my 17 inch. The 17 inch did not have near the features mine had.
Mean while I thought I would try windows 7 instead of there recovery disks and believe it worked great.

Now contacted HP by e-mail today and from their reply I asked this Question

Question Sent Feb 12 2011 @ 2:48 PM

From what I gather in you e-mail I have received, your HP software is prioritized to to orginal hardware in the computer and if I want to reload the HP operating system, your recovery disks will not work so it has to be returned to HP to reload the software. Is this right?

Bob

Answer Received Feb 12 2011 @ 4:41 PM

Thank you for replying to HP Total Care.

Collapse -
my hp pavilion dm4 screwed up just like yours
by sammykt / October 28, 2011 1:45 AM PDT

i jus got it 9 months ago.today it aint booting even!
laptop ons.hdd lights blink for several seconds and stop blinking.
monitor remains blank the whole time.,
recovery disks aint even loading.
bios cannt be accessed.
im totally fuckd.
thanks hp ************.
and **** you

Collapse -
Mine too @ 13 months
by mmmc2 / February 12, 2011 10:31 AM PST

Unbelievable, mine had done the same thing at 13 months, one month out of warranty. Wouldn't charge the battery, then wouldn't work with the power cord. Took it back to Best Buy (last year) and they wanted $900 to replace the motherboard. No thanks. I bought a newer similar model (I'm a glutton) that uses the same battery (with the extended warranty in case this happens again) and I just keep recharging the battery and putting it in the broken computer (so at least my husband can use it). Well, eventually it won't cost so much to replace the motherboard and that is what I'll do. But what the heck, this should be recalled.

Sadly, I really loved this computer Sad
Melanie

Collapse -
mine as well
by natetheskate13 / April 24, 2011 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Mine too @ 13 months

My HP Pavilion dv7-1175nr won't recognize DC outlet, unless the outlet is forced into the jack, at ~24 months. Soon after, CMOS won't boot apparently due to the motherboard failure. Since repairing will cost ~$350, HP rep suggests I get a new Pavilion for ~$600. Considering how other dv7 failed earlier on, I guess I was lucky. Nevertheless, I'm not happy with this HP.

Collapse -
you might want to try replace the charger
by everselect / April 30, 2011 9:21 AM PDT

Some time a defective charger would cause the problem. if you don't want to spend $100 on the original charger, you can get one less than 20 bucks Here

Collapse -
Pavilion dv7 boot problem
by jackman13 / May 6, 2011 5:20 PM PDT

Hi lokenate. Just check the system's warranty period.

Collapse -
Pavilion dv7 boot issue
by Kevlaur87 / August 30, 2011 8:08 PM PDT

Did you ever resolve your issue? I'm having the same problem!

Collapse -
dv7 wireless issues
by violamom3 / September 14, 2011 1:15 PM PDT

I purchased the dv7 in July 2011. Since then I have lost wireless three times. Each time the drivers are gone. Tech support gets to spend two or more hours with me trying to get the drivers back. To top it off, they can't even get remote access to my laptop. So, they have to talk me through the steps. This laptop should be recalled. It is defective. Apparently, HP knows there is a problem with the wireless drivers, but they pretend it's a fluke. In two months time I have been on the phone with tech three times for this problem. What I want is the laptop replaced. Why should I be on the phone fixing the same problem every three weeks???? That's ridiculous. I will NEVER buy an HP again.

Oh yeah, and I can hardly understand their techs, what's up with that?

Buying a DELL next time around.

Collapse -
Actually the malwer today
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2011 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: dv7 wireless issues

In the circles I run the malware is such that causes problems like this. My bet is you'll have issues with the dell too.

Bob

Collapse -
Same EXACT Issue X's 2
by MJGreenley / January 3, 2012 5:33 PM PST

So, I have received two machine in the last two weeks with the EXACT same issue as described in the main thread. And strangely enough, both machines are HP Pavilion Dv7's. I have a third machine coming into my office tomorrow with similar issues...never asked what the make and model is...I'm VERY interested in finding out if it's another Dv7!!!

Collapse -
Hope you are right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2012 12:48 AM PST
In reply to: Same EXACT Issue X's 2

But it happened again. One acquaintance went through 6 machines of different makes claiming each were defective. In the end it turned out to be some old app and the torrent they ran. No one can figure out how that affected the initial boot. That's a mystery for another day but when we wiped the machine back to the factory load, the issue vanished.
Bob

Collapse -
no DELL , NO HP, NOOOOOO
by JustbyaMACBOOKPRO / January 13, 2013 5:37 PM PST
In reply to: dv7 wireless issues

Dude, save up for a Macbook Pro, yeah, there is a learning curve BUT, NO ISSUES LIKE PC's . I have had 6 PC's in less than 5 years due to failed hard drives, lcd screens, bad internal memory, bad sound cards. internet NOT working - you NAME It, ive been thru it. It is terible... We should do a CLASS ACTION. SERIOIUSLY...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.